Hundreds of Thousands of Dolphins Murdered

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I know, it is heartbreaking to say the least and then some feel that we as a species have the right to want to become of the space age. We are just not there yet. We are all responsible for our energy as a whole, I mean our planet as a whole.

If you live with thieves and robbers, and yet do nothing and are simply not part of the illegal immoral acts and the place gets busted, you can say all you want to the authorities about your innocence, but you're still going to spend time in jail along side the rest.

We are all responsible for this act, some care and others turn a blind eye to it. I hope that this video also brings awareness and freedom to the Dolphin Pods that have been tortured and prevent the future ones from becoming part of the massacre.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
All I have to say is that I feel sorry for these poor animals. I think that the if everyone lived like the natives, who were closer to nature and ate primarily fish and buffalo and fruits and veggies, wed all be good. Although I dont like the treatment of cattle and other animals harvested from the farm, I can sort of understand that we eat them. I mean, If all farm animals were to get loose, they wouldnt last one minute out in the wild, especially the pig. As for all of you brainwashed into hating idiots hating on the japanese, stop acting like places all over the world, especially america, dont do the same thing or worse. In fact the japanese are some of the most peaceful people in the world, albeit brainwashed a bit by the media, govt and norms of society, just as the rest of the world is. War isnt decided by the people, its decided by the govt, as if any of our decisions matter, pfft.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

Timing!

Evidence Points To Conscious 'Metacognition' In Some Nonhuman Animals

J. David Smith, Ph.D., a comparative psychologist at the University at Buffalo who has conducted extensive studies in animal cognition, says there is growing evidence that animals share functional parallels with human conscious metacognition -- that is, they may share humans' ability to reflect upon, monitor or regulate their states of mind.

This is a prime example of why we should not treat dolphins as food (aside from the mercury factor). They have proven their astonishing intelligence level time and again. Here are some other great studies concerning the intelligence of dolphins:

From Wikipedia:
en.wikipedia.org...

"There have been instances in captivity of various species of dolphin and porpoise helping and interacting across species. One interesting example is of a dolphin helping in the birth of another species by using its mouth to pull the infant out of the birth canal."

Two more interesting articles:

www.guardian.co.uk...

www.littletownmart.com...

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Orion65

Thank you for that post. Beautiful beings they are, but no more or less than many of the beautiful human beings who are being systematically destroyed by the same wicked powers that be and consciousness stream.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
There are two sides to every story. From here.

Growing evidence shows that the big animals, up to 12 feet long, are killing fellow mammals in droves, wielding their beaks as clubs and slashing away with rows of sharp teeth. Dolphins have been found to bludgeon porpoises to death by the hundreds. Unlike most animal killers, which eat their prey, dolphins seem to have murderous urges unrelated to the need for food.

They have even been observed in recurring acts of infanticide.

Off Scotland, a scientist watched in shock for nearly an hour as an adult dolphin repeatedly picked up a baby in its mouth and smacked it against the water, over and over, until it sank from view.

Off Virginia, researchers found at least nine baby dolphins killed, their ribs broken, their skulls and vertebrae smashed. One small body bore puncture marks matching the pattern of adult dolphin teeth.

This was mentioned earlier in passing by another poster. I haven't seen anything directly address this side of it.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by TYLomon

Because in this thread it is an attempt to bring light to an EXTREME violation of a sentient being which through vast and multiple studies have proven to be closely related to human being and documented as one of the wonders of our oceans.

You are not from the beach obviously.

So go make an I hate Dolphin loving thread and see just who you resonate with here on the forum.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
multiple studies have proven to be closely related to human being and documented as one of the wonders of our oceans.

You are not from the beach obviously.

Could you cite these studies? So far, I have seen opinion stated. I would like to see these multiple studies you are referring to.

With regards to the other part, I grew up very close to the beach, but spent my summers on my grandparents farm. I just have a different opinion on food supplies, and don't see this issue as a wrong.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by TLomon

Oh good grief like I said go start and I hate Dolphin lovers thread and stay out of this one. Dont ask me to give you evidence, go find it on your own and after you do, then follow your own suggestion and study the opposite side of your arguement. Return to me after and apologize.

I refuse to argue. And I refuse to give you information.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I would if anything you stated was fact actually was true. I understand you are upset about dolphins being slaughtered for food. However, I am disagreeing with your other arguments which support why you are upset.

1) Dolphins are not closely related to human beings as you have repeatedly stated. There are no studies suggesting this. As such, I can not find any studies that contradict the genetic analysis that states otherwise.

2) Just about every animal we consume can sense fear and pain. (I believe all of them can, but not sure anyone has tested this out on "lesser" species). What is confusing is why you place dolphins above other animals? Why not stop the eating of gorillas, elephants, or other game animals?

3) You indicated that dolphins are peaceful and gentle creatures. Myself and at least one other poster have presented evidence that this is an incorrect statement.

This isn't about having an argument. If you wanted a one sided debate, you wouldn't have posted it on the internet. It doesn't work that way. This forum is about getting to the truth of the matter, and denying ignorance.

TRUTH: Hundreds of thousands of dolphins are killed/murdered.

I am not disagreeing with this statement. If it bothers you, I accept that. It doesn't bother me, as long as they are put to use. If people killed the dolphins for the sake of killing the dolphins, I would be strongly opposed to such action, but probably for different reasons. You argue that it is inhumane, but I would argue it was a waste of resources.

When someone asks you how you came to your conclusions, being insultive back to the person, and telling them to go elsewhere, is rather belligerant. I haven't done that of you, and there is no reason why posts directly related to a particuliar event shouldn't be part of the same thread.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by TLomon

I am insulted by your ignorance as far as you personally I do not know you nor wish to know you.

Fight for ignorance.

Watch the video.

[edit on 27-9-2009 by antar]

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by TLomon
There are two sides to every story. From here.

Growing evidence shows that the big animals, up to 12 feet long, are killing fellow mammals in droves, wielding their beaks as clubs and slashing away with rows of sharp teeth. Dolphins have been found to bludgeon porpoises to death by the hundreds. Unlike most animal killers, which eat their prey, dolphins seem to have murderous urges unrelated to the need for food.

They have even been observed in recurring acts of infanticide.

Off Scotland, a scientist watched in shock for nearly an hour as an adult dolphin repeatedly picked up a baby in its mouth and smacked it against the water, over and over, until it sank from view.

Off Virginia, researchers found at least nine baby dolphins killed, their ribs broken, their skulls and vertebrae smashed. One small body bore puncture marks matching the pattern of adult dolphin teeth.

This was mentioned earlier in passing by another poster. I haven't seen anything directly address this side of it.

There have been studies as to the behavioral changes and deaths of whales and dolphins due to military sonar.

www.nrdc.org...

And specific to the coast of Scotland:

"WDCS, the Whale and Dolphin Conservation society, together with the Hebridean Whale and Dolphin Trust (HWDT) are calling for volunteers to join their research team to help monitor the effects on whales and dolphins of NATOs latest Joint Warrior military exercise, which takes place off the west coast of Scotland this October.

Worrying behaviour in whales
With environmental concerns growing following the unusual and worrying behaviour recorded during WDCS and HWDT field work in the region in May 2009; the two charities are once again uniting forces to record the potentially negative effects of these naval activities on whales and dolphins, and have launched an appeal for volunteers to help."
Source: www.wildlifeextra.com...

And then there is this disgusting practice the military uses to create aggressive behavior in dolphins and use them as weapons (this is extremely difficult for animal lovers like me to read, the harsh truth indeed):

www.iridescent-publishing.com...

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Orion65

As much as I appreciate your defence, and your obvious intelligence I personally cannot watch it in the state I am in, not today. I am aware of some of the issues you have brought forward, just not today can I read more about inhumanity.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by TLomon

It's the opinion of many researchers that military sonar adversely affects the behavior of these creatures who use sound as an integral part of their daily lives.

I wonder if dolphins would show aggressive tendencies if military sonar was taken out of the equation entirely? Not that it's ever going to happen. And that doesn't even touch upon the other article I linked above, the inhumane practice of using dolphins as military weapons and killers.

In Virginia and Scotland dolphins were shown to have aggressive behaviors, where military sonar is known to be excessive. That absolutely must be taken into account.

[edit on 27-9-2009 by Orion65]

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
The military radar issue is a rather interesting one. It has been in use for such a long time, I am willing to bet no one has done a detailed study on dolphin (or other marine mammel behavior) until recent time, so we don't have a clear before and after picture.

Now, regarding the video. I just discussed this with some peers and they felt the larger issue was not the killing of dolphins, but the businesses giving dolphin meat (with extremely high mercury content) to elementary schools passing it off as whale meat. They are poisoning their youth for the sake of profit.

So, what is the larger evil? Killing something for food, or knowingly giving something toxic to your child?

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   

reply to post by Orion65

As much as I appreciate your defence, and your obvious intelligence I personally cannot watch it in the state I am in, not today. I am aware of some of the issues you have brought forward, just not today can I read more about inhumanity.

As Gandhi so eloquently said: “The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated”. Our moral progress seems to regress every century we exist on this Earth. The way we treat each other, the way we treat the animals we share our planet with, it's unbelievable that we're considered an "advanced" species. Empathy and compassion have been bulldozed over by greed, power and the desire to obliterate.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by TLomon
The military radar issue is a rather interesting one. It has been in use for such a long time, I am willing to bet no one has done a detailed study on dolphin (or other marine mammel behavior) until recent time, so we don't have a clear before and after picture.

Now, regarding the video. I just discussed this with some peers and they felt the larger issue was not the killing of dolphins, but the businesses giving dolphin meat (with extremely high mercury content) to elementary schools passing it off as whale meat. They are poisoning their youth for the sake of profit.

So, what is the larger evil? Killing something for food, or knowingly giving something toxic to your child?

They'd solve two problems by finding a way to avoid the dolphin massacre - no toxic mercury in their food and a way to fish without making dolphins a casualty. And it seems not only are humans poisoning themselves by eating dolphins, but dolphins themselves are being poisoned by the amount of toxins humans are pouring into our oceans:

"Mercury levels:

A recent international study showed that, on average, dolphin meat contains 5 times the maximum allowable level of mercury. After the filming of The Cove, dolphin meat was taken off the school lunch menu in Taiji. The Japanese government has issued warnings about pregnant women eating dolphin meat, but maintains that’s it is safe to consume in small quantities.

Mercury poisoning can damage the brain, kidneys and central nervous system. Studies have also linked mercury with cardiovascular disease, infertility, and high blood pressure. In 2008, dolphins found dead in Australia were found to have suffered severe neurological-damage from mercury poisoning. The cause for the high levels of mercury seems to be due to a process called bioaccumulation. Over time, mercury builds up in ocean life through repeated exposure to low-levels of toxins. Oceans become polluted with mercury when atmospheric emissions from coal and industrial plants are transported into the sea."
(From Wikipedia, source: en.wikipedia.org...(film)

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

i know this is an old thread...but...i just saw THE COVE...and i never even guessed that people WOULD do something like this!!! and i don't understand why!!

as i was watching kept thinking that it was like the holocaust of the animal kingdom...someone needs to stop it! we all need to stop it!

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

you know, what i find extremely interesting is that it was also played as a trailer in a movie i went to see, that isnt the interesting part, the interesting part is that i never saw the trailer again, infact i completely forgot about this until now, i think the trailer played about.... geez.... a year and a half ago?

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Watch the Cove in full here:

www.esoterictube.com...

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   

reply to post by Ask The Animals

..... specifically the dolphin who happens to be the closest related mammal to us the humans. .....

While I like dolphins and all of that, they are NOT the closest related mammal to us by a long shot. Primates share the most DNA with us.

Besides, everyone knows Dolphins aren't even from this planet.......

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join