It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hundreds of Thousands of Dolphins Murdered

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

It's "shark fins"

dolphins hardly exist anymore in the Chinese coastal waters.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

It takes 30 years for a dolphin to become an adult. 2 years for cattle. You don't see a difference?

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Centurionx

Uh no, we aren't herbivores, we're omnivores meaning we can survive on a wide variety of stuff. That doesn't justify what they do to these animals and what humans do to other species around the world but until we find something tastier than meat I doubt we'll see a change in behavior.

To be honest I would never become a vegetarian because if you are going to believe all life is sacred or all life feels pain/serves a purpose than you shouldn't be eating plants either. After all, the only difference between taking a berry from a tree and taking a baby animal from its Mother is that the animal is conscious of pain while the tree has no pain sensing apparatus as far as we can detect, so vegetarianism solves nothing in the way of killing living things...

That being said we do need to find an equilibrium with nature as a species or else we're essentially screwed and I'd like to see a ban on the killing/eating of 'higher' mammals (like these poor dolphins)...

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Flagged for certain. This is as ignorant as I have seen. Dolphins are the most intelligent creatures on this planet, and I have heard and read that any aliens must get their (Dolphins) permission first, before any experimentation is done here on the planet. This may or may not be true, but the issue here is the killing of helpless, highly intelligent species.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

We ARE naturally herbivores, we are not naturally omnivores or carnivores. If you don't believe this, go try to catch a rabbit and eat it raw. If a species cannot ingest something in its natural form then it is fair to say it is not their nature to do so.

As far as your plants vs animals argument - I know of no animal species that benefits from having it's offspring ingested and excreted. The number of plant species who benefit, and even encourage, this very thing, are too numerous to count.

A few Googles will show that people who are made out of plant life that encourages herbivores to consume it are generally beautiful and healthy. The simple truth is we were made to eat plants and bugs, not big chunks of dead animals.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

First things first antar. Star and flagged for bringing this horrific act to everyone's attention. This is an awful crime against one of our more serene and intelligent creatures of the sea. I for one could not sit back and watch people do this kind of thing to such a cute and friendly....MONSTER!

New evidence has been compiled by marine scientists that prove the normally placid dolphin is capable of brutal attacks both on innocent fellow marine mammals and, more disturbingly, on its own kind.

That's right people, these bottlenose bullies have been killing their own kind! What is the motivation behind these cannibalistic creatures? Could it be that they invite these Japanese to join in the merriment?

Four years ago, members of Scots charity the Cetacean Research and Rescue Unit discovered a lifeless porpoise near the harbour at Whitehills, near Banff. The team described the mammals' injuries as "perhaps the worst example of inter-specific aggression any of us had ever seen. This young female had literally had the life beaten out of her." Inspection showed multiple lacerations and puncture wounds all over the body which could not have been caused by any other attacker than a bottle-nosed dolphin.

Yes read it and weep. These malicious finned mammals have been attacking their own kind. They are emotionless, soulless creatures that crave carnage!

Aberdeen marina biologist Dr Ben Wilson explains yet another shocking phenomenon - that the dolphins use their incredible ultra sound abilties to home in on the vital organs of their victims that will cause most damage. "The blows are carefully targeted," says Dr Wilson, who is a member of the Scottish Association for Marine Science. "And the attacks are sustained, sometimes up to 30 minutes. "The film was a key piece of evidence. It crystalised our suspicions. We realised the dolphins' victim was trying to escape from being attacked with such force that any one single blow could kill it. "It was, Oh my God!, the animals I've been studying for the last 10 years are killing these porpoises."

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Alright, I know I was a bit dramatic. I have no problem at all with these dolphins killing their own kind. I really don't. I do have a problem with humans helping them along though. I truly believe that they should be stopped because they are way too cool to be harvested as a food source. That's just my opinion though. Thanks for the awesome thread antar.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
reply to post by Ask The Animals

Ok here's the thing, hundreds of years ago, not to mention thousands, we were IGNORANT of our global species specifically the dolphin who happens to be the closest related mammal to us the humans.

We now are supposedly more advanced, compassionate and intelligent.

We have watched so many become endangered, if we loose the dolphin we are doomed.

1. Dolphins are NOT the closest related mammal. Think of a specific ape. The one that is 1 chromosome away from having identical DNA to us, humans.

2. Today, you are ignorant because you act as though saving the dolphins has anything at all with saving the world. It does not. In fact controlling the dolphin population help sustain fish populations in the ocean.

3. We are NOT "doomed" if we lose the dolphins. Quit spreading you lies and fear mongerous propaganda.

That being said, I think switching to a vegitarian diet as a world would be wonderful, but

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Killing is a survival tactic.
Sometimes to eat, a human being needs to kill something.
When people kill for fun and or profit, killing is no longer for survival.
That makes it wrong.
I wonder how many people would still eat meat if they had to go to an open range/pasture, and kill/slaughter and butcher there own cows/chickens/pigs/etc....
We use the excuse of feeding people to justify a profit.
Tell me the meat industries are in the game to break even, or to help humanity?
We are doing what history has proven we do best, and that is to subjugate another species.
I wonder how we would feel if all of a sudden we became the hunted and farmed animals to just feed or provide sport/profit to something else.
Hi Dad! What's for dinner? You, son!!

[edit on 9/15/2009 by reticledc]

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Hello all,

First, I did not watch any of the videos. Judging by the reactions of the posts I read, I get the picture..

What I will say is, why is a dolphin's life any more important to you than a chickens life or for that matter a spiders life..?

Do you wear leather shoes?
Do you eat eggs and bacon in the morning?
Did you have a tuna fish sandwich for lunch?
You didn't BBQ ribs on the grill tonight, did you?

ALL life should be respected.....It is divine in its own right..

Maybe we should start to think about where the products come from that we put on and in our bodies..

That ground beef didn't just magically appear at the super market...
it was a cute little calf..

It's time to evolve people, time to put love and compassion in front of ignorance and greed...

PEACE and LOVE...................and EVOLUTION!

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by jackflap

I can think of another species that kills its own kind, and all other species, and the ecosystem. Can you guess which one?

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Thankyou so very much for all of your replies, although I have to agree with the majority of your responses, this is so much more than just the issue of how we treat one species for the sake of food.

Only centuries ago it was an excepted practice to eat other humans that were not from your tribe, this thank God is for the most part a piece of our past and not still part of it although it would be a more humane ending than millions endure on a daily basis world wide, in the shadows of the whole truth which is being held from us just as the little fishing community hides this atrocity from the public eye.

Why if they were doing this for a cultural reason and for the benefit of saving other aquatic species, then do they hide the fact from the public with razor barbed wire and fences?

Seems they go to great extremes to hide the facts from public outcry and social scrutiny, this alone tells me that it is an evil and diabolical practice which has nothing to do with local customs and traditions passed down for generations.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by kleverone

I see what your saying, but its an intelligence thing! Tuna, and smart do not go hand in hand. they are more like cattle. And I am not saying that makes it right. Especially to MASSFISH an area to make huge profits. In my opinion You should have to either know how to "kill/catch" your own prey,and get your own meat, or eat vegetables.

Its like all those people that do this for a living to feed us! who is the bad guy? them or us? kind of a weird paradox...thats why Im trying to stop! ...anyway, Dolphins are just too intelligent to just be slaughtering to feed fat lazy people..my .02

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by maus80

A few Googles will show that people who are made out of plant life that encourages herbivores to consume it are generally beautiful and healthy. The simple truth is we were made to eat plants and bugs, not big chunks of dead animals.

I know several veggies and they are the sickliest folks I know.

Higher primates are also omnivorous, and are cannabilistic when resources are scarce, or when different family groups clash. Chimps regularly beat members of rival groups to death and eat them.

Not trying to glorify them or anything, but Ma Nature is a ruthless one.

On the subject of the dolphins, where is that psycho Canadian with the ship when you need him?

[edit on 15-9-2009 by hotrodturbo7]

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Love the thread and the philosophies and views.

Anybody who has had the misfortune to go hungry be it for financial reasons or for beauty diet reasons, knows that hunger is a primal urge.

We in the US, UK etc. cities are currently lucky enough to have food packaged and handed to us with names that don't recall cute little sad eyed creatures begging for their lives.

But farmers and ranchers know the value of life. And so do their kids. Ever been to a state fair and seen the kids in the stalls hugging and stroking the family prize pig that they raised from a piglet that's about to go on the Big Truck?

Ever seen a carcass of roadkill being eaten by bugs? And think to yourself, that's me some day?

Sure mercy killing would be best for everything that has to die. Quick and painless, but we haven't even figured it out for our own species, or land mammals... so it doesn't surprise me that we're so removed from where we need to be to do it for ocean creatures. Supposedly the boiling of live lobster is the cruelest of all human acts - if we look at pain levels induced.

I think the biggest shock when I see this, is just how raw and animalistic we are. Still are. Or are again.

But none of us is an island and we're all playing God and deciding the fates of other lives every time we drink diverted water, travel with gas, eat, wear anything...

I think being civilized just means we're removed from the ugliness and beauty of where everything comes from. It doesn't mean that we're better for it.

We're not superior to any other race or species when it comes to appreciating the fundamentals of life and death. We haven't a clue our entire lives and once we do, it's too late

And I think we might want to be careful thinking that murdering something with less intelligence is somehow better for us to do than murdering something with equal or greater intelligence.

Some day, something with significantly higher intelligence may take a look at us and think...

"yum"

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by rainfall

PEACE and LOVE...................and EVOLUTION!

Amen on the evolution. These dolphins need to evolve a tactic to get away from these japanese ^&*(s or they will be darwin'ed right out of existence.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by stevegmu
reply to post by Asktheanimals

It takes 30 years for a dolphin to become an adult. 2 years for cattle. You don't see a difference?

The difference is 28 years. What difference does the age of sexual
maturity make? None, really if wild populations are not being
endangered.

The vast majority of people in western societies are so removed from
nature that everything they learn about it comes from TV, books or
classes they took in school.

None of those are subsitutes for actually living out within nature,
sustaining your body on wild plants and game.
Go do that for a few months and see if your views remain the
same. No amount of argument I can make here will suffice to
change your mind.

[edit on 15-9-2009 by Asktheanimals]

[edit on 15-9-2009 by Asktheanimals]

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by jackflap

Growing up in Huntington beach, I have heard on several occasions about local surfers being saved by the Dolphins while surfing.

As a matter of fact I used to go down to K55 and San Miguel for weekend surfing trips when the waves were good and it was always a great day when I would see schools of Dolphins in the distance surrounding me, I 'knew' that they would keep the often seen notorious sharks away from me and that alone made it an almost spiritual experience.

We do not know why there were Dolphins attacking their own, yes they are ferocious fighters when provoked, that is not new news, what is new are the pollutants and infection that they have to endure in the waters off the ocean shores now.

Perhaps just maybe the Dolphin had been pricked by an infected needle? I dont know but there may have been reasons unknown which would have explained it other than to simply say "AH HA!!! " Dolphins are aggressive and dangerous vermin and deserve what ever they get!

I realize that you are an intelligent and compassionate person, that I gather easily from your posts, so it is appreciated that you bring some form of balance to the thread, there is just not enough evidence as to why some Dolphins are ousted and or attacked.

Face it, they are big strong and can mimic a persons fears if that is what the person puts out, but there are far too many reports on their side to say that about all Dolphins.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by maus80

We ARE naturally herbivores, we are not naturally omnivores or carnivores. If you don't believe this, go try to catch a rabbit and eat it raw. If a species cannot ingest something in its natural form then it is fair to say it is not their nature to do so.

As far as your plants vs animals argument - I know of no animal species that benefits from having it's offspring ingested and excreted. The number of plant species who benefit, and even encourage, this very thing, are too numerous to count.

Sorry, but I eat meat. How does that not make me an omnivore (since I eat plants too).

You do know your body gets accustomed to eating raw/cooked meat? Since many people prefer cooked meat, our bodies never experience raw meat and that is why we can not do what you listed.

The same way if you never use caffeine, or always use it. When you switch, you get unwanted side effects.

I am still missing your point. It is like saying if a human can not use the resources of the earth to make a building, we should not be allowed to do so...such as fire (in order to cook) and meat.

So, tell me I am not an omnivore after I just chowed down a JUICY steak (with A1 sauce) and salad for dinner. I will continue eating and continue laughing.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by hotrodturbo7

Then they do not have properly balanced diets. Vegans and vegetarians with improper eating habits wear the results the same way that meat eaters do. Plenty of overweight people have dark, sunken eyes and pasty, clammy skin. It just looks less "I'm malnourished and need a sandwich!" on the overweight.

A lot of people in these movements are misguided, some have even starved their babies to death. Look how many stomachs cows have, look how much time most primates spend eating, and eating. Raw diets and unbalanced diets cause this 'sickly' look, not removing dead animals from the equation.

Please read my signature, the truth is almost a billion people on earth would eat better and possibly avoid starvation if we put an end to irresponsible industrial farming. I'm totally willing to look a little "too thin" to the overweight masses if it helps 800+ million people survive and thrive.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Antar,
Cannibalism has never been practiced in historical times for the
food value. It was done for spiritual value - to ingest the life of
a great warrior to give strength to yourself and by extension your
tribe.

Sometimes it was an enemy that was eaten, other times it was a
loved one. In practice it was never more than a few bites. Noone
but the Donner party gorged themselves on human flesh. The
principle behind it was to show respect.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join