It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House GOP to call for total cutoff of federal funds to ACORN

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
This sounds like a much more all-inclusive severing of taxpayer dollars to ACORN, we will have to see if this GOP proposal get's any legs..

Needless to say I will be keeping tuned into CSpan today

www.eashingtonexaminer.com

Today House Republicans will introduce a bill that would end all federal funding to ACORN and its affiliates. Republicans are also sending a letter to President Obama on the same subject.

The action comes after the release, on the website BigGovernment, of three undercover videos showing ACORN employees in Baltimore, Washington DC, and New York City offering advice on how to evade taxes, cover up prostitution activity, and abet the use of minors in prostitution. In the wake of those disclosures, the U.S. Census cut its ties with ACORN, and yesterday the Senate voted 83-7 to cut off housing funds for the organization.

The gavel just fell for today's business..

Related ATS Threads

Shocker! Senate Overwhelmingly APPROVES De-Funding ACORN

ACORN is at it again, taxpayers are funding this?

Second Video Shows ACORN Officials Helping 'Pimp,' 'Prostitute' in Washington Office

ACORN no longer working with Census Bureau

ACORN Brooklyn - Can Congress Ignore Strike Three?

ed:sp

[edit on 9/15/2009 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Its about time. I'm glad that they're also including all of the affiliates in the ban.

But they need to go one step further and strike while the iron is still hot. Now is the time to start calling for a Federal investigation. Politically, the administration and the Democratic party would have very little choice but to go along with it if the GOP were to really make a public push to do so under the current circumstances.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Interesting and funny how the political pendulum swings. When the Republicans swept into power in the past, it was said to be the end of liberalism in the U.S. Then we've had the recent series of elections with people assuming the results meant conservatism was dead. Organizations like ACORN both helped the election results turn out the way they did - many say illegally - and have been seen to be the big-time beneficiaries of spending bills as payback for their efforts to influence the elections.

But all of the sudden, shock, ACORN is on the run and the democrats aren't feeling too cozy anymore.

[edit on 9/15/2009 by centurion1211]

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I think it is a good move.It may be a little to late to undo the damage that has been done to the country by these criminals. I fully expect an end run around congress. ACORN and organizations like it are adept at dodging death blows. They will just reorganize and materialize as something new and improved,with the same old goals in mind.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I am sooo glad that they added all ACORN's affiliates would not be getting any funding. I wonder if the organization's claims that they will "survive on donations" will fall flat. I took their words as "there are so many branches of us that we can get the funds from them." But that's just me.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by daddyroo45

That's a laugh, if George Bush didn't destroy this country in 8 years then I doubt a little acorn could do it in a year. What a joke. I think people forget what we just escaped. Either way if those Acorn tapes are genuine then I hope they get what they deserve.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
If the President is unaware of this situation, he is now...

House GOP Urges President Obama to Defund and Break Federal Ties to ACORN

Today House Republicans, led by Republican Leader John Boehner (R-OH), are sending the following letter to President Obama asking him to use his authority to end all funding to and break all government ties with ACORN:

Dear Mr. President:

We write to you today in the wake of new reports of potentially criminal activity involving associates of the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now (ACORN) to respectfully request that you use your authority to publicly disclose and terminate all federal funding to ACORN and its affiliates. It is evident that ACORN is incapable of using federal funds in a manner that is consistent with the law. Immediate action is necessary to ensure that no additional tax dollars are directed to ACORN. Simply put, ACORN should not receive another penny of American taxpayers’ money.

Congressional pressure, coupled with the impact of recent media reports, prompted the U.S. Census Bureau on September 11 to end its partnership with ACORN. We support this decision by the Census Bureau, and believe it is vital that all other federal agencies with ties to ACORN follow the Census Bureau’s example by severing all ties to ACORN and its affiliates, whether those ties consist of partnerships or the awarding of federal funds, including federal funds distributed through state and local governments from federal block grants.

Haven't seen anything in the House session on this issue yet.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by angrymomma

"AngryMomma" I'm replying on your post only to compliment you on your avitar, it is really, really well done and the background color blending is perfect.

Now, on the thread:
I'm very relieved to hear that this is being done but what I am going to be watching very closely are the names of those who don't vote to approve the cutoff and also if they add SEIU as they are an Afiliiate and partner of ACORN.

new topics

top topics

join