It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you consider an Iraqi man who threw a shoe at U.S. President George W. Bush a hero or a villain?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Walkswithfish
However, if it was an American who threw an shoe at President Obama, I'd have to call him a racist Nazi neocon, and demand his immediate summary execution for a most heinous racist hate crime.

Funny how these things can be viewed by so many angles and can change in a very short period of time.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

I say we start at the County Commissioners and Town Councils, and we don't stop until Obama is seeking refuge in Kenya!! Then we elect some common folk to work in Washington for Free and return to their normal professions at the end of their terms!

No more "Career Politicians" just normal folk using life experience to make decisions based on what their constituents are living with every day!!

Although I agree with the concept here I must say this. If you were to force me to take office for 'free' I would have to file bankruptcy before the end of my first year and would have to teach my sons how to TRY and farm and hunt so they could feed the family.

Because of course we wouldn't want to go on the system when I am working for the system right?

Free. No. For a reasonable salary? Yes. And who should vote on their raises? NEVER THE IDIOTS THAT ARE GETTING THEM!

Edit to add: Ah crap, forgot to speak to the OP. Hero. No. But I admire the reasons he did it. He stood up in front of the world and expressed that he believed the U.S. lied their way into his country. It was NOT a violent protest (though I have seen some shoes that could do some violent damage). It was his way of expressing his disgust. So I believe his intentions were fine but he didn't really think it out too well.

[edit on 15-9-2009 by dariousg]

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Is throwing a shoe a sign of hate? Where does this come from?

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by JJay55
Is throwing a shoe a sign of hate? Where does this come from?

It's not "Throwing" the shoe but to slap them with the soles of the shoe which is a very big insult in that part of the world. He wasn't close enough for that so he did the next best thing.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Job well done. Not a hero, but a guy with balls the size of Texas.
I can't help but feel he stood up for his country and gave the invaders the big finger.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by dariousg

Although I agree with the concept here I must say this. If you were to force me to take office for 'free' I would have to file bankruptcy before the end of my first year and would have to teach my sons how to TRY and farm and hunt so they could feed the family.

OK, free is kind of idealistic! How about we mandate that your employer continues to pay your salary (like jury duty). Or, we can pay you exactly what you report on your tax returns!! (HaHa, all you tax cheats will not like that one!)

As long as there is no big incentive to go to Washington, claim squatters rights, dig your heals in, build your cronies around you, slander and threaten your opponents out of town, and take huge kickbacks from lobbyists and special interests, then it will be a better system than we have now!!

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Originally posted by brocket99
Throwing a shoe in that part of the world is the equivalent of doing a tar and feather on the leader of the "free" world.

All the better!! When will Americans muster up the cahones to bring out the tar and feathers for our own politicians!?!

I say we start at the County Commissioners and Town Councils, and we don't stop until Obama is seeking refuge in Kenya!! Then we elect some common folk to work in Washington for Free and return to their normal professions at the end of their terms!

No more "Career Politicians" just normal folk using life experience to make decisions based on what their constituents are living with every day!!

I like that idea! That's been my thought all along. Politicians aren't out to better the world for us but for themselves and their own kind. What we need is a man of the people or woman to really care and really know what it is like in the real world. Because real everyday life isn't all red carpets and black tie dinners and mansions. It is hard working, sweat on your brow, raising kids, going to school scrimping and saving. Those big wigs understand none of that and they don't want to either. They have a silver spoon in their ***.

I believe that that shoe could've knocked some sense into him. I hated that smirk on his face though. You could almost hear him jeering "Missed me! You missed me!" in a sing song brat fashion and then sticking his tounge out like the baby he is.

[edit on 15-9-2009 by guardstarr]

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I'll throw my thought on this into the ring. i feel this could be considered more like a poll lol.

I consider the man very brave for throwing the shoe, braver for taking the punishment that come wtih throwing the shoe but foolish in the end because as soon as his 15 minutes of fame is over he will probably be found dead some where in his country reasons unknown and it will not garnish the same news attention or be worthy of reporting by the MSM.

Okay, folks take a deep breath, I am not saying I want him dead. I'm just saying I've seen this movie before.

I would rather hear more from CNN, CBS and especially MSNBC about the curruption with ACORN.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I have pity for him. Perhaps he is mad because people he knew and loved were killed during the war. I pity he can't understand things will be 1 million percent better now that Saddam is gone. When you have a dictator and no outside contact it skews your point of view.

link   
Neither, he is someone who is frustrated at the state of his country. And had not other outlet. Maybe throwing a shoe was the only way to get attention to the cause. But there have to be other methods.

link   
This misadventure always reminds me of Austin Powers. "What kind of man throws a shoe?"

I wonder if this guy is gay? Of course if he was found to be gay I'm sure the penalty for that would have been alot stiffer than throwing a shoe at the President of the United States of America.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
I have pity for him. Perhaps he is mad because people he knew and loved were killed during the war. I pity he can't understand things will be 1 million percent better now that Saddam is gone. When you have a dictator and no outside contact it skews your point of view.

Do you realize that American youth are not educated in World Economics, World History, World Literature, or World Geography?

The education level of the kids coming here from Cuba far surpasses the education level of our own kids!! I have personally seen kids in the 5th and 6th grade levels with knowledge exceeding our High School graduates!

A dictator and no outside contact skews your point of view alright! All Hail MTV, Big Government, MSM, and the Teacher's Unions!

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
President Bush should have made a public request to have this guy pardoned. In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter.

It also would have pre-empted allot of his shoe throwing thunder.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Have fun raising your kids in Cuba.

Send a post card.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

You don't see the idiocracy of pitying the man that opposed the Iraqi occupation? Or the hypocrisy of criticizing his limited outlook on the world?

I liked Bush, and I think History will judge him fairly, but I don't pretend to have a clue what the Shoe Guy went through under Saddam, and no under US occupation. I trust that his shoe throwing means he did not see a marked improvement so far.

Now, as to raising my kids in Cuba, I would love to get their primary education anywhere else in the world, and then bring them back to the US for Secondary education. There are innumerable examples of people doing exactly that! American kids are at a huge disadvantage in college when compared to all the International Students!

Home schooling or foreign schooling is the best possible way to get a kid to later excel in college. Surely you have seen the statistics? In Florida we have the FCAT. The schools funding is based off of the FCAT, and the schools are graded according to it. They put an immense amount of effort in preparing the kids for the FCAT, and if you have ever seen the test you would be amazed at the simplicity! It is shameful that our expectation are so LOW!

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Throwing of a shoe is an insult in the ME. It's an insult you don't make unless you're willing to fight. Grave insult would be an understatement.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   

You got all that from two very short sentances?

Good thing I didn't write a paragraph.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
on one hand i believe the man was justified in throwing said shoe..

on the other i'm jealous as DARN IT i wanted to throw it

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by jd140

You got all that from two very short sentances?

Good thing I didn't write a paragraph.

LOL! Over the top?

Sorry, I live in a University town, and I see it every day. It is a sore subject for me I guess!

I come from the Midwest, from a small town, and I know that as Americans we think we know a lot about the world, but when a few of us visit France or UK or Egypt or Australia, then we have an eye opening experience.

I just didn't like the comment that this guy doesn't realize he is better off? How can someone thousands of miles away know how this guy's quality of life has changed better than he can know himself??

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   

He is better off because if Saddam was still in power he would have been tortured and executed.

The guy is better off.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join