It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Tea party" photo shows huge crowd — at different event

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   

"Tea party" photo shows huge crowd — at different event

www.politifact.com

In the competitive world of Washington protests, crowd size is often a matter of dispute. Organizers usually boast of huge crowds, while police and the news media offer much smaller estimates.

So supporters of Saturday’s “tea party” protests against President Barack Obama were quick to highlight their big turnout. To bolster countless claims on blogs and Facebook, many posted a photograph that showed a gargantuan crowd sprawling from Capitol Hill down the National Mall to the Washington Monument.

But it turns out the photo is more than 10 years old, apparently taken during a 1997 Promise Keepers rally.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 15-9-2009 by grover]

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Why doesn't this surprise me one iota?

While individuals claim that the whole tea party nonsense is a grass root movement it is a planned, organized event and has nothing grass root about it. The GOP and some of their most conservative right wing corporate supporters are behind it and they have a very tortured history with the truth.

That's quite a difference from 3rd to 17th street.

www.politifact.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 15/9/2009 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   
The image did indeed make the rounds Saturday, but was pretty quickly dismissed as being from the '97 event, even in conservative circles. I don't know where it originated, but for most, I think it was an honest mistake.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   
This is the first time I've even seen this picture. I got all my 'tea party' pictures from ATS....mainly just SD and the one time lapse video. It's just another effort to diminish the event. They're getting scared of something, which is confusing, given the apparent omnipotence of the administration.

+16 more 
posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   
this is what is called a PSYOP to change/manipulate public opinion

the photo in fact is clearly showing a "smaller" crowd than the 9/12 crowd
shame on the creators of this pathetic attempt

Here is an official video from C-SPAN, showing the massive throng of people

You can clearly see that the place is packed solid

Here is a map of the approx people capacity: (map from inauguration)
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d97868fd5090.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f8162f816b3d.jpg[/atsimg]
MSNBC screen cap of the 912 march, CLEARLY the crowd stretched out beyond the 1 mill point based on USAToday's report on how to gauge inaugural attendance!
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/34aab1c9604a.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4f1efa3d0b9c.jpg[/atsimg]

Tons of photos and videos on this exact subject can be found here:
moderateinthemiddle.wordpress.com...

*edit to add photos and new links

[edit on 15-9-2009 by warrenb]

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Clearly a stunt by liberal media to make the people that actually care about this country look like we're losing ground. The clear fact is we are gaining it go people go. "Don't tread on me Washington.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
You know what? I'm really not suprised... the whole tea party march is a setup by TPTB to ignite revolution in the US, so they can bring in Martial law... problem action soloution.

Glenn Beck is a puppet on a string, and he is playing his part very well as the 'good cop', and appealing to the right wingers who are loyal to the constitution, in the hope that they will take up arms to try and take their country back... the thing is that that's exactly what the Rich men of the earth want, so they can then label them as right wing domestic terrorists who need to be taken out of society.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I don't know if this been posted earlier but I just found this on Youtube. Very interesting interview with Gerald Celente

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Eye On War
Glenn Beck is a puppet on a string, and he is playing his part very well as the 'good cop', and appealing to the right wingers who are loyal to the constitution, in the hope that they will take up arms to try and take their country back...

I watch his show about three or four times a week. In reality, Beck has repeatedly asked his viewers to NEVER engage in any type of violent action on behalf of their political views. Like you, he realizes that it would be disastrous and that the powers that be would use it to stomp out any dissent.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   
So, someone posted a photo more than 10 years old and said it was a tea party photo....the media jumps on it...while ignoring that the fact that the two event's turnout is nearly identical since there were close to, if not over a million people marching on Washington. To those attributing that all to Glenn Beck, he only gets about 3 million viewers...33% of his audience would have had to have been there, and that should have then been a blip in his ratings since those viewers couldn't be watching TV during the protest...but it didn't. So, the whole "Glenn Beck and Fox News are manufacturing this," doesn't add up at all....besides the fact that 33% of any audience is pretty much impossible for various reasons.

[edit on 15-9-2009 by yellowcard]

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by vor78

Glenn Beck is a puppet on a string, and he is playing his part very well as the 'good cop', and appealing to the right wingers who are loyal to the constitution, in the hope that they will take up arms to try and take their country back...

I watch his show about three or four times a week. In reality, Beck has repeatedly asked his viewers to NEVER engage in any type of violent action on behalf of their political views. Like you, he realizes that it would be disastrous and that the powers that be would use it to stomp out any dissent.

Ok what your saying may be true, but I find it very hard to believe that a network like fox which is controlled by the elite, would allow someone to be speaking out against the TPTB unless there was some kind of hidden agenda behind it.

The thing with Glenn beck is that he's not consistent.. he basicly rubbished Ron Paul during his presidential campaign, and he was also supportive of the Government bailout bill which was just daylight robbery from the US tax payers.. these facts plus other information I have learnt lead me to believe that Mr.Beck is not sincere, and most likely has an agenda.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   

The thing with Glenn beck is that he's not consistent.. he basicly rubbished Ron Paul during his presidential campaign, and he was also supportive of the Government bailout bill which was just daylight robbery from the US tax payers.. these facts plus other information I have learnt lead me to believe that Mr.Beck is not sincere, and most likely has an agenda.

Uhhh. My views are not what you would call "consistant" either. They are subject to change based on new information or somebody convincing me of their viewpoint. As a matter of fact the one thing that tells me that Glenn Beck isn't being controlled or manipulated is the "inconsistancy" of his views. If he was being controlled or pushing an agenda you would think that he would be a little more consistant.

By the way I agree with Beck on Ron Paul.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beach Bum
Clearly a stunt by liberal media to make the people that actually care about this country look like we're losing ground. The clear fact is we are gaining it go people go. "Don't tread on me Washington.

Excuse me, but how is pointing out a lie (falsely claiming a picture from the 1990s to be from 2009) qualify as a "stunt?" Should the media have colluded in the fraud? If this is the kind of integrity that the leadership of the 912 movement displays... well, that's really pathetic and an insult to the honest people who joining the movement in a legitimate attempt to do something constructive.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
The photo was on the news as a fake as well, great glad they covered it, glad they decided to cover an all important picture of the Tea Parties that was a fake, instead of the corruption in Washington and Acorn or the past Van Jones scandal. .....oh wait.......that was Glenn.......SORRY BOUT THAT! Glenn and Fox have been reporting on Acorn since before inauguration day and other corruption while your MSNBC and others have continued their kissyface humpfest with Obama.

But hey, at least they are trying their hand at actually reporting SOMETHING.

On that note, doesnt matter much that some idiot was passing off a fake photo, the actually turnout was just as massive!

But really GROVER seriously?

Youre telling me that because something like this is an organized event by concerned US citizens that it cant be a grass roots movement?

Youre telling me that people concerned about the United States well being, the rights beset to us by the constitution and our forefathers , isnt grass roots?

So a huge bunch of people marching on Washington, and only that being a minority because the MAJORITY werent able to go, that want to send Washington a message that we are watching them, and we want them to clean up their act isnt grass roots? The fact that we as Americans want our country back from the corrupt , whether they are Dems or Rep, isnt grass roots?

Right .......it HAS to be the GOP , it couldnt POSSIBLY be everyday Americans, conservatives, republicans, democrats, independents. WOW

The level of delusion on that of the left to me is staggering. You people need to inform yourselves.

If ignorance is bliss then a lot of them are in heaven.

The idea that this is just some manufactured march by the GOP is absurd, if you cant see that this is real, and America is truly outraged then you my friend are in a state of denial.

[edit on 15-9-2009 by ManBehindTheMask]

[edit on 15-9-2009 by ManBehindTheMask]

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover
While individuals claim that the whole tea party nonsense is a grass root movement it is a planned, organized event and has nothing grass root about it. The GOP and some of their most conservative right wing corporate supporters are behind it and they have a very tortured history with the truth.

Because the GOP have been so successful in the past of bringing out huge amounts of people to protest?

This IS a grassroots movement that the GOP have decided to jump on the coat tails for a free ride. The GOP could never organize this because most of the people that went to the 9-12 event are just concerned citizens. The Democrats better figure that out soon or they will be watching from the sidelines in 2010.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Do not believe your own eyes for they can lie and decieve, believe only those who can clearly see after the fact, and through explanation and examinations can point out the obvious errors you've witnessed.

Humans can only see what they want to see.

Politics helps us all have 20/20 vision.

Oh, and those videos also lie and deceive, it was an illusion.

Actually no one showed up.

This post was funded by ACORN and various affiliates

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I just love the fact that when a bunch of smelly hippies rally in mass numbers we say they are a wonderful example of people excercising their right to "free speech", but when us "right wing red necks" gather in mass numbers, everyone who loves it when the hippies do it, seem to come down and be angry at the "righties". The fact is, there were close to 1 million if not more in DC at the Tea Party Rally, its interesting to note that Dan Bana, a spokesman for the National Parks Service, said the 9/12 protest was "a record ... We believe it is the largest event held in Washington, D.C., ever." I know that all those "Obamaites" hate the fact that half of the nation doesn't worship him as they do, but don't throw out fact just to justify your anger. This was not a huge "evil" event formulated by Neo-Cons to trick the media, the truth is that is was a grass roots event, fuled by many in our country that took time to attend a historic event to tell those in power in our nations capital that they are on notice, and that they should govern carefully, and with guidance from the words of our founding fathers and not those special intrest groups like ACORN, MOVEON.ORG, or from the likes of George Soros.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499

Uhhh. My views are not what you would call "consistant" either. They are subject to change based on new information or somebody convincing me of their viewpoint. As a matter of fact the one thing that tells me that Glenn Beck isn't being controlled or manipulated is the "inconsistancy" of his views. If he was being controlled or pushing an agenda you would think that he would be a little more consistant.

By the way I agree with Beck on Ron Paul.

Why do you agree with Beck on Ron Paul? Mr.Paul seemed to be the only Presidential candidate who seemed to be standing up for truth and commen sense rather than just being a puppet on a string trying to tickle peoples ears with their false promises...

And I would say that in MOST cases a person who is consistant in their views is far more likely to be respected than someone who is easily led this way or the other like a leaf in the wind.

But the point i'm trying to make is that when there is that much money and power at stake, things usually don't happen by accident, and the ruling Elites strategy is problem action solution. Whereby they get Beck to point out a problem, and call for action (tea party march etc), so that they can then round up all the people who are protesting the governments policies by enacting martial law and framing them as domestic terrorists, and there they have the solution they aimed to achieve all along.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Walkswithfish

I like cynics. Nicely done.

The MSM seems to be more interested in a misrepresented picture than in what actually happened last Saturday. Anything to help them keep their misguided belief that people actually believe the crap that the MSM is spewing. Keep it up. Keep it up. I'm waiting for the day that people start doing to the MSM what they tried to do to Beck. I have already started writing to the advertisers who's commercials air during stories like this that if they keep this up, not only will I boycott their product or service, I will go out of my way to encourage others to do the same.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beach Bum
Clearly a stunt by liberal media to make the people that actually care about this country look like we're losing ground.

Ya know I find comments like that seriously offensive...like the right wing conservative Republican anti-tax crowd are the only true patriots and Americans.

Its crap and a nasty lie.

We on the left love and care for our country too...

Just because we have a difference of opinion don't go slighting us.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join