It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anything we can do nature can do better?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 06:21 AM
link   
So you may know something about biomimicry from articles like these. Here's how the Biomimicry Institute defines it: "Biomimicry (from bios, meaning life, and mimesis, meaning to imitate) is a new discipline that studies nature's best ideas and then imitates these designs and processes to solve human problems. Studying a leaf to invent a better solar cell is an example." So, in other words, copy what nature has already (presumably) perfected.

This recently released TED video is a little out of date, but it gives you a visual sense of what the hopes are for this new discipline. UC Berkeley professor Robert Full talks about how engineers copy the essential bits of animals' tricks and nature's designs:

Video

What things do you see in nature that you think can be copied to solve our issues?

blogs.usatoday.com...

The video is rather cool indeed

Peace.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I absolutely loved the video. I had no idea geckos where so unbelievable. I've had pet geckos before, and I've seen them do these things but I always figured it was just suction. Craziness!

Personally, I want a pair of gecko gloves and shoes and then do some climbing.

Edit: S&F

Also, here is another video by Robert Full regarding this very subject. Video

This video actually demonstrates the gecko foot material as well as asks some cool questions about how these animals use their tail.

If you are interested in hearing more from Robert Full you can use this link. Link

Or this one to Poly-PEDAL Labs. Link

[edit on 15-9-2009 by DaMod]

new topics

join