It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Betelguese going supernova?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Richard Hoagland brought this up on Coast to Coast AM this June - the prospect (imo, very likely) of Betelgeuse going supernova.

www.theorionzone.com...

It would create a period of "nightlessness" on Earth because the explosion would be so bright, which would definitely create some kind of consciousness shift, don't you think?

Just imagine if there wasn't a night!

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 05:11 AM
link   
It would change how we live if the night disappeared.
Since pretty much our conception of the time line is based on the coming and going of the sun (well most, I'm a night own so my conception of time is reversed)

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Hmmm, would it change things for the better? Bring people closer together? Possibly bring about world peace and a consciousness shift?

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Donnie Darko
Hmmm, would it change things for the better? Bring people closer together? Possibly bring about world peace and a consciousness shift?

in the beginning it might bring people closer, but as people got used to it, everyone would probably go back to normal.

as for world peace, not sure.
You have to think, an event on such a large scale as this one, would trigger mass hysteria and even bigger religious problems.
There would be the normal doom sayers, the religious nuts that would create even more panic.

It would get worse before it got better that would be for sure
(I may post on this topic again after I get home from work, I need sleep right now, but your reply has intrigued me alot Donnie and I will be for sure posting a response later)

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 05:37 AM
link   
An interesting read thanks....

I will have to get my scope out and have a gaze when it moves over-head....not that I would be able to see anything, but its reminded me to look at this amazing star.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Check out the Pachino movie Insomnia. He is sent to a town in Alaska during summer and can't sleep the entire time. Great movie. Robin Williams is the bad guy. But that might make you think about constant day. I gotta get my zzs.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Most likely the only thing it would do is ending up causing blindness in people as their retina's get burned out from Staring at the Supernova.
The Sun is much larger in the sky yet less in luminosity than Betelgeuse would be when it goes Supernova, the only difference is Betelgeuse will be a mere speck of light in the sky thats thousands of times brighter in magnitude.
Staring at this pinprick of light would mean instant blindness.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 05:58 AM
link   
S & F, great read, and only halfway through, up to the part about the Dragonfly and the corresponding crop circle in June this year.

I know alot of people here at ATS will say its just a bunch of Hocus Pocus, but what about the change in calanders in 1582, shifts and possibly unbalances not the world , but the way we percieve things, anyways cheers

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 06:01 AM
link   
If Hoagland said it, then you can be guaranteed that it wont come to pass... in our lifetime anyway. Sure Betelguese is going to go nova at some point in the future but that's millions of years away from what I've read about it.

I can't see how it would start a mind shift on this planet. The majority of people on this Earth are fundamentally stupid... plus I'm not even sure myself what this life changing message would be... That sh*t happens? Not exactly an epiphany! Novas are not magical events that transport us into wonderland... but it's nice you can be so positive about essentially nothing.

No dark nights would just mean more crime. There is statistical data that backs this up during full moons.

I'm not being a pessimist, just being real.

IRM

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Uh Uh..Dont say the B word!!

Thanks Donnie..great find..and a most interesting read!! S & F

I really like this idea, although alot of speculation, I think it makes a ton of sense..and I look forward to hearing more about the great Beetlejuice..lol

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

How could we sleep if there wasnt a night?

on the plus side.. i guarantee crime would be at an all time low

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raider of Truth
reply to post by Donnie Darko

How could we sleep if there wasnt a night?

on the plus side.. i guarantee crime would be at an all time low

Im a total night person, and sleep during the day..I just black out my windows and bought a massive fan which blocks out any noise..Id do just fine...lol

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Perhaps this is why the myian calendar stops, no more days.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 06:48 AM
link   

If Betelgeuse indeed turns into a supernova, it would be visible even during the day and would remain in the night sky for months or even years before fading away

That's pretty amazing stuff, being in constant daylight, i don't think i could get to sleep, it would be a very strange sensation!

I think at the initial occurrence of this event people would be a lot closer, they would be discussing the event, it would be a hot topic, but like most things for a lot of people, it becomes old news, they would move on and the sequence of constant daylight would soon become the "norm".

On the note of a "consciousness shift", i feel a lot of paranormal activity, and enlightenment, so to speak, ties in with a lot of cosmic occurrences, if we are to believe that we are all connected in some way with the universe, then one would need to think that something as massive as a supernova would certainly cause some sort of shift to happen on a conscious level.

On the other hand, a supernova is a supernova, like events that take place on Earth, such as earthquakes and volcanic eruptions, they don't effect us on a conscious level, and no shift takes place, so why would an event occurring in space be any different.

All very interesting stuff though, i sure would feel privileged if it happened in my lifetime, although i would find it very doubtful.

[edit on 15-9-2009 by Skyco]

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 07:07 AM
link   
There could be some legs to this.

This immediately caught my attention as the red spot and a 15% decrease in diamater is indicating an actual change within the star.

Supernovas are bad news and very very high on the list of real, occuring and massive dangers to life on earth if one happens close enough by.

Remember they are little understood and seem to liberate more energy and light than the rest of the observable galaxy they inhabit when they do go.

Luckily one has not happened as close as Betelguese in recorded history, if it does the effects could be much much more devastating than just a lighted nightime.

It also ties in with an anciant Native American Prophecy taken by many to be realted to Sirius but maybe the star is wrong:

Hopi Blue Star or Blue Kachina Prophecy
An ancient Hopi Indian prophecy states, "When the Blue Star Kachina makes its appearance in the heavens, the Fifth World will emerge". This will be the Day of Purification. The Hopi name for the star Sirius is Blue Star Kachina. It will come when the Saquasohuh (Blue Star) Kachina dances in the plaza and removes his mask.

Certainly Sirius would seem to dance even if it wasnt the supernova as the radition and solar storm hitting our magnetosphere would probably blow away a large part of the atmosphere, making every object seen in space to be distorted almost like heat waves above a hot road...

Hoagland it may be, shift in consciousness well not as he thinks, you bet, total panic and a global extinction event.... just hoping it has not happened yet and wont for a long time.

Elf

EDIT to correct galaxy for universe, though if large enough this may be a possibilty as in Here

[edit on 15-9-2009 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Just some more info on the event:

"To see this change is very striking," said Charles Townes, a UC Berkeley professor emeritus of physics who won the 1964 Nobel Prize in Physics for inventing the laser and the maser, a microwave laser. "We will be watching it carefully over the next few years to see if it will keep contracting or will go back up in size."

Edward Wishnow, a research physicist at UC Berkeley's Space Sciences Laboratory had this to say:

"But we do not know why the star is shrinking," Wishnow said. "Considering all that we know about galaxies and the distant universe, there are still lots of things we don't know about stars, including what happens as red giants near the ends of their lives."

Source: UC BerkeleyNews

This kind of made me wonder one thing immediately - so nobel prize winners and research physicists at Berkeley have no clear idea of what would happen if a red giant went Supernova or even if the changes to Betelgeuse that we are witnessing (a decrease in size of 15% through the course of 15 years on a star which is btw unstable, disc shaped and has a rotation period of 18 years) are indeed indicative of a Supernova...

... but Richard Hoagland knows so much about Betelgeuse's supernova and with such certainty that he can tell you what the magnite, direction, duration, composition and consequences on Earth would be?

[edit on 15-9-2009 by InTrueFiction]

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by InTrueFiction

... but Richard Hoagland knows so much about Betelgeuse's supernova and with such certainty that he can tell you what the magnite, direction, duration, composition and consequences on Earth would be?

I think the important thing to remember is that as said when a Supernova goes it for a fraction of a second releases more light, energy, heat etc than an entire Galaxy!

These events are massive!

A supernova (plural: supernovae) is a stellar
Astronomy

Astronomy is the science of Astronomical object and Phenomenon that originate outside the Earth's atmosphere . It is concerned with the evolution, physics, chemistry, meteorology, and motion of celestial objects, as well as the physical cosmology....
explosion
Explosion

An explosion is a sudden increase in volume and release of energy in an extreme manner, usually with the generation of high temperatures and the release of gases....
. Supernovae are extremely luminous and cause a burst of radiation that often briefly outshines an entire galaxy
Galaxy

A galaxy is a massive, gravitation system that consists of stars and stellar remnants, an interstellar medium of gas and cosmic dust, and an important but poorly-understood component tentatively dubbed dark matter....
, before fading from view over several weeks or months. During this short interval, a supernova can radiate
Radiation

In physics, radiation describes any process in which energy emitted by one body travels through a medium or through space, ultimately to be absorbed by another body....
as much energy
Energy

In physics, energy is a scalar physical quantity that describes the amount of Work_ that can be performed by a force. Energy is an attribute of objects and systems that is subject to a conservation law....
as the Sun
Sun

The Sun , a G V star, is the star at the center of the Solar System. The Earth and other matter orbit the Sun, which by itself accounts for about 98.6% of the Solar System's mass....
could emit over its life span. The explosion expels much or all of a star's material at a velocity of up to a tenth the speed of light
Speed of light

The speed of light in an free space is an important physical constant usually written as c, with a value of 299,792,458 metres per second....
, driving a shock wave
Shock wave

A shock wave is a type of propagating disturbance. Like an ordinary wave, it carries energy and can propagate through a medium or in some cases in the absence of a material medium, through a field such as the electromagnetic field....
into the surrounding interstellar medium
Interstellar medium

In astronomy, the interstellar medium is the gas and cosmic dust that pervade interstellar space: the matter that exists between the stars within a galaxy....
. This shock wave sweeps up an expanding shell of gas and dust called a supernova remnant
Supernova remnant

A supernova remnant is the structure resulting from the gigantic explosion of a star in a supernova. The supernova remnant is bounded by an expanding shock wave, and consists of ejected material expanding from the explosion, and the interstellar material it sweeps up and shocks along the way....

Absolute Astronomy

Direction is meaninless the explosion like a nuke is liberated outwards from the point of event pretty uniformly in all directions.

The effects are obvious if close by, and are very very dangerous:

Think about this close by lol

Furthermore, the expanding shock waves from supernova explosions can trigger the formation of new stars.

The effects on earth if close by is obvious and further even at some distance:

The Columbia Encyclopedia, Sixth Edition | 2008 | The Columbia Encyclopedia, Sixth Edition.

Supernova:

Supernova a massive star in the latter stages of stellar evolution that suddenly contracts and then explodes, increasing its energy output as much as a billionfold. Supernovas are the principal distributors of heavy elements throughout the universe; all elements heavier than iron are produced in supernovas. Supernovas also are the principal heat source for interstellar matter and may be a source of cosmic rays . Recent discoveries have confirmed an underlying connection between supernovas and gamma-ray bursts (GRBs). Both are associated with the deaths of massive stars and they often happen nearly simultaneously. There is no generally agreed upon model for how a massive star explodes. However, the association with gamma rays has renewed interest in the role played by stellar rotation and magnetic fields.

Ecyclopedia

Hoagland is wacky full of a lot of nonsense but he is right about the effects and risks to us if this baby has gone boom.

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   
If you think this could be true and you believe we are being visited by ET then this could partially explain why. They already knew it went supernova and calculated its burst would hit earth. Assuming, to travel thru the cosmos, ET would have to use some kind of "fast" mode of transport, they could get here way faster than the light of the supernova. They could be here to witness the fireworks, provide an Ark, etc. Let your mind go crazy....

[edit on 15-9-2009 by I_am_Spartacus]

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by MischeviousElf

Direction is meaninless the explosion like a nuke is liberated outwards from the point of event pretty uniformly in all directions.

I could be wrong but I think I read that theoretically speaking the angle of the stars rotation is decisive in direction of the G-ray outburst in the event of a supernova. I also think Betelgeuse's angle of rotation is not directed at Earth.

I'll try and find a source for that to see if there's anything to that notion or if I dreamed it.

EDIT to add:

Here:

It is likely that Betelgeuse will become a supernova. Considering its size and age of 8.5 million years – old for its size class – it may explode within the next thousand years, or may have already. Since its rotational axis is not toward the Earth, Betelgeuse's supernova would not cause a gamma ray burst in the direction of Earth large enough to damage its ecosystem even from a relatively close proximity of 640 light years. However, a Betelgeuse supernova could easily outshine the Moon in the night sky.

[edit on 15-9-2009 by InTrueFiction]

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   
This whole article is really grasping at straws. Especially using man made crop circles in relation to his 'evidence'. It's like saying what if mars ran into the Earth. Until there is some actual scientific evidence saying this star is going supernova I wouldn't worry about it.

And also, It wouldn't turn the entire world into a night-less planet. Orion is not always visible at night depending on where you are in the world.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join