It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Technical Electronic Questions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Ok I am aware of how to build my own solar generation plant from this site here My question is, how many deep cycle batteries would I need to plug into this kind of system in order to power a house hold that uses an average of 1000 Kwatts per month.

Also to plug batteries in a series all I have to do is link the negative terminal to the positive and positive to the negative right? Do that a few times and when I have enough juice I just plug the final positive and negative terminals into the bottom end of my meter box right? I mean I can tell the man to take his meter back and they dont need to know that I plugged in my own system into the bottom part right? ... I have no interest in giving them back my electricity... and if I produce too much I figure I can leave the lights on or find some other way to keep my electric consumption at a level that would keep my batteries from popping.

I have just been thinking so much about making my own juice...

So for a reliable energy source I am thinking two maybe three panels with maybe three or four deep cycle batteries.

What do yall think? Does it sound feasible?

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Disclaimer: I'm a theist but not of the Abrahamic faiths. I have minor biblical scholar and scriptural skills. Also I am not a scientific/legal or medical expert in any field. Beware of my Contagious Memes! & watch out that you don't get cut on my Occams razor.All of this is my personal conjecture and should not be considered the absolute or most definitive state of things as they really are. Use this information at your own risk! I accept no liability if your ideology comes crashing down around you with accompanying consequences.

Explanation: Nice idea but I think you can do far better!

Links to help out your link.

www.rpc.com.au/products/batteries/deepcycle_faq.html

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_cycle_battery

These are the problems I have with those systems.

1] Solar PV cells...massive $$ outlay and with their lifetime [about 15yrs] and low effeciency [15% at best] and so your basically buying your electricity for years upfront and those panels are toxic and hard to recycle.

2] deep cycle lead batteries also need topping up with acid occasionally and thats gonna cost!

And here is what I propose...I suggest a solar to steam system as polished metal and glass mirrors dont degrade and and nor does the plastic or glass tubing! It could last 1000's of years with proper maintanence! steam for heating and driving a turbine for power extraction [electrical or mechanical]...hot waters uses are obvious! so how to store this heat energy long term with low impact to all. I would install a massive hi pressure air tank underground and pre-pressurize it to 3/4 full before connecting it to the energy generation system and I would utilize the steam created electrical or mechanical energy to drive a compressor connected to the tank....sun heats water which turns to steam which drives a turbine which compresses the air in the tank and the compressed air in tank stores this "solar" energy for later use...the expanding air released can be used for refrigeration and airconditioning and to also to create electrical or mechanical energy by driving a turbine.

Personal Disclosure: I wanted to be an architect and this is the best system IMO and can of course be suplimented by PVC and Wind power etc.
I hope that helps!

P.S. I did the maths and it comes out to 1.5Kwatts.hr of energy required 24/7 for 28days straight. Is that actually going to be enuff energy for your maximum requirements?

Edited spelling and TMI. :shk:

Edited 5mins later to add that maybe many smaller high pressure tanks would be better as that way the pressure wouldn't drop off so much and you just have a mechanical switching system based on pressure or lack of it to switch between the low pessure and high pressure tanks to maintain the pressure to the system.!

Edited to change 1.5kw/hr to 1.5kw.hr :shk: my science teachers would have me excrutiated for that back in school. me such a

[edit on 15-9-2009 by OmegaLogos]

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by OmegaLogos

Links to help out your link.

These are the problems I have with those systems.

1] Solar PV cells...massive $$ outlay and with their lifetime [about 15yrs] and low effeciency [15% at best] and so your basically buying your electricity for years upfront and those panels are toxic and hard to recycle.

i have small solar cells that are over 40 years old and still work fine.
i believe the 15 year lifetime is because the protective clear cover on many solar panels does degrade over time.
this means that you may have to rebuild the panel after the cover degrades by replacing this clear cover.
but the cells should last a 100 years by themselves.
i have never seen a panel that no longer works because of age. and panels have been out there for 30 years that i know of. (cells have been out there longer)

2] deep cycle lead batteries also need topping up with acid occasionally and thats gonna cost!

If you are topping batteries off with acid that has got to cost.
Because you never use acid to top off batteries.
You top off batteries with distilled water only.
Not acid. tap water or deionized water.

And here is what I propose...I suggest a solar to steam system as polished metal and glass mirrors dont degrade and and nor does the plastic or glass tubing! It could last 1000's of years with proper maintanence! steam for heating and driving a turbine for power extraction [electrical or mechanical]...hot waters uses are obvious! so how to store this heat energy long term with low impact to all. I would install a massive hi pressure air tank underground and pre-pressurize it to 3/4 full before connecting it to the energy generation system and I would utilize the steam created electrical or mechanical energy to drive a compressor connected to the tank....sun heats water which turns to steam which drives a turbine which compresses the air in the tank and the compressed air in tank stores this "solar" energy for later use...the expanding air released can be used for refrigeration and airconditioning and to also to create electrical or mechanical energy by driving a turbine.

i hope you are planing to use distilled water in this steam generation system or it will not last a year.
The crud in tap water will plug and corrode it quickly

P.S. I did the maths and it comes out to 1.5Kwatts.hr of energy required 24/7 for 28days straight. Is that actually going to be enuff energy for your maximum requirements?

solar only works when the sun shines so you will be short.

even when the sun is shining you will lose the first 45 min to a hour and the last 45 min to a hour because of the sun angle.

Now do not use water in your solar collectors because you would need high pressure piping. Use a high temperature oil. there are oils that can be heated to over 500 degrees without the need for high pressure piping.

Then you use the oil to heat your water in a heat exchanger next to the turbine where you need just the high pressure high pressure piping to run between the heat exchanger and the turbine.

You can also use part of this oil to heat a tank full of Glauber's salt and at night this heat can be used to make steam.

I have worked on large solar power plants like solar one and two.
en.wikipedia.org...

And SEGS 3 through 7 at Kramer Junction Calif
en.wikipedia.org...
ludb.clui.org...
So i have a knowledge of solar power systems

join