It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't call me a racist until you read the whole OP

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   
None of that is racist. In fact, its quite a flattering description of the black man.

However, a lot of it is lost on me because I know so little about genetics and evolution.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by jester1211
First off, the pyramids and much of ancient Egypt was built by the Jews when we were enslaved. Second off with the exception of a small portion of the continent (Egypt), Africa was full of sickness and poverty way before the white man. They just had such a low life expectancy this issue was never made apparent

That is a horrible myth that you were fed to by the white elite.

Funny how they make you think everything in Africa surrounding Egypt is black except for Egypt itself.
It's name was Kemit btw.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I'd like to remind all participants of the Terms and Conditions of this site that they agreed to when signing up.

2) Behavior: You will not behave in an abusive, hateful and/or racist manner, and will not harass, threaten, nor attack anyone.

Please keep this in mind when posting, as repeated violations will result in thread closure.

If anyone has any questions about this issue, please use the complaint function, ATS issues thread or u2u me as discussing it in this thread would be off topic and result in post removal.

Thank you.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   
ok well, i dont think you're racist
and anyone who would say that is just looking for plain ol trouble
because there are is no offensive language in here.
from what i read, the slavery seems like a likely reason as to
why we are so athletic, but coming from Wiki Evolution
im a little iffy.
nice article tho.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   
its 2009 and my people still have to deal with hate mongering crap liek this. its not 1950 any more sir, get with the times.
this is blatent racism.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by jester1211

How about the fact that many blacks (and notice I said many) have no career goals or any aspirations to do anything to further their career goals, and therefore have an exorbitant amount of time to focus on much less important things such as sports.

The first part can be said of many races, and blacks that do nothing to further their goals don't end up in professional sports. Kind of makes your point moot,now doesn't it? What happened, Stormfront servers went down again?

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 01:34 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

why is racism gross?, dont get me wrong, i have no ill feeling towards any race on this planet, everybody are just people doing what they do to get through life the way that they can, every person is an individual. what i dont understand is people like you who take any discussion about racial traits, good or bad, as being racist. can you deny that chinese people are smaller on average than white people, or that people who are of african descent have very thick curly hair, i could go on and name so many traits/characteristics but i think/hope you get the picture, stop shouting down any race based discusion, if i or anybody else was a "racist" it would be our choice and not yours, and remember it does not mean that you hate.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
While it comes across as racist

Does it? I think that that says more about the person reading racism in the thread than it does about anything else.

I read it and saw a logical approach to a statistical fact. I saw no attempt to belittle a race at any point in that OP.

The only thing that I am concerned about is that the OP had to protest the fact that he/she is not a racist. That, in my opinion, is pathetic. Not necessarily pathetic on his/her part but pathetic that the OP HAD TO FEEL LIKE HE/SHE NEEDED TO because so many people are too quick to judge.

I read and enjoyed the OP and I personally agree with what the OP has to say.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lurch
Having been to West Africa on business on two occasions and having met many Africans living and working the UK, I can say that the majority of those guys are in good physical shape, probably more so than your average European male. They tend to be pretty tall and muscular - obviously there are exceptions. Also there are differences depending on where you go in Africa. Somebody from le Cote d'Ivoire in the West will look different to somebody from Ethiopia in the East, who in turn will look different to somebody from Tunisia in the North. Remember that Africa is a huge continent and there are many cultural and genetic differences throughout the continent. In my experience I would say that West Africans tend to be the most physically imposing people on the continent, followed by Central Africans - I hate making generalisations but I think that's about right. Incidentally, I would guess that the majority of slaves were taken from West Africa. As has been mentioned, East Africans (from Kenya and Ethiopia in particular) clearly tend to make the best long distance runners.

Why all this is the case is up for debate but I can guarentee you that it has nothing to do with slavery. I say this because, as I explained, I have met many born and raised Africans (whose ancestors were not taken to the Americas as slaves) who are just as physically impressive as many African-Americans. And if the Africans were exposed to the kind of facilities, coaches, training techniques, diet etc that African-American sportsmen grow up with in the States, no doubt that the Africans (and I mean born and raised Africans) could dominate the NFL, NBA etc.

Most Africans don't care for US sports though, the main sporting passion in Africa is football/soccer. This sport is seen by millions in Africa as a gateway out of poverty. There are many, many professional African footballers playing all over the world, many at the top level, such as Didier Drogba (Cote d'Ivoire) and Michael Essien (Ghana) who are widely considered as two of the best players in the world. Interestingly, traditionally the best African teams tend to come from the West, such as Cote d'Ivoire, Cameroon, Nigeria and Ghana. Cote d'Ivoire are even being talked about as an outside bet to win the World Cup, hosted in South Africa next year. Of course there are many African sportsmen from across the continent performing at the highest level of their chosen sport.

Maybe there is something in the water in West Africa but the fact, as I have illustrated above, that there are MANY successful sportsmen/athletes and MANY physically fit Africans, whose ancestors were not enslaved, proves, in my opinion, that slavery is a red herring when you are trying to figure out why African-Americans dominate US sport. Many American's seem to be ignorant about Africa, maybe you should take a trip to West Africa, could be an eye-opener for you and I bet you have a good time.

I had to wait til page 5 before I found someone who thinks along the same lines I do. I'm a born and bred African from South Africa. I call myself an African because I'm born and bred in Africa as were my parents and their grandparents. I have white ancestors from a few generations back and in South Africa they call people like us (part white / part black) "Coloureds".

The OP talks about slavery as being the cause of sporting excellence among African Americans, yet strangely enough he uses the performance from Africans born and bred in Africa as evidence. Hmmm?

African Americans excel mostly in sprinting and in sports where physical strength is a factor. Africans in general take the top spots in long distance events. Here is where I'll agree with Lurch. Slaves were generally taken from West Africa and West Africans were generally the strong (as opposed to enduring) type.

Last but not least, the nail in the coffin. They were taken to America to do what they were doing for generations in Africa; farming. American slaves did NOT do anything which their African cousins did not do, i.e. slavery has absolute jack to do with the sporting prowess of ANY Africans no matter where they currently live.

I would also like to add something a little controversial. Africans (like me
) are black because they spent most of their "formative years" around the Equator (much more sun, much hotter). I know from personal experience that when it's hot brain power takes a serious dive. We often have problems with our air conditioning at the office and when it's hot my productivity (I'm a "self-taught" DBA / programmer) takes a nose-dive as my brain cannot function at full capacity due to the heat. My point being that IMO blacks would be less intelligent because they come from hotter climates.

Believe it or not I have proof (for myself) of "evolution" in ONE generation. About 20 years ago I did karate. We had 3 boys in our dojo (they were about 10, 15 and 17 in age) who were born and raised in Canada and moved to South Africa recently. They are coloureds (see above description) and their parents (who lived in South Africa and moved to Canada just before they had kids) are dark-skinned. These boys are light-skinned. I thought they were white until they told me their story and I met their parents.

EDIT: Removed a paragraph which is most likely irrelevant or incorrect.

[edit on 16-9-2009 by Lannock]

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 04:05 AM
link   
I would suggest that the physical characteristics of todays African Americans owe more to generations of natural selection and evolution rather than(in terms of evolutionary timescale)a mere blip in that races history(slavery).Bearing in mind that from the outset,the African race had to adapt to living in and hunting on a massive land mass where it would have been the norm to travel great distances in search of food,and with water at a premium,the body would adapt itself to run as efficiently as possible,hence the lack of extraneous body weight the larger nostrils to process the intake of oxygen more efficiently and the evolution of longer limbs to enable more efficient travel whilst hunting.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lannock
My point being that IMO blacks would be less intelligent because they come from hotter climates.

[edit on 16-9-2009 by Lannock]

Um....Yeah nice dis-info here.
Are you sure your from Africa?

Because I can't believe you would degrade yourself like that.
People get used to the heat.
I was born in Trinidad and my family lives there, it is just as hot as Africa and people are naturally smarter, from younger (mostly do to the British school system they are using)learning to read and do math at age 2 & 3.

They don't complain about the heat because there used to it, and I have never once heard anyone complain that living in a hotter country makes them less intelligent.

That certainly wasn't the case for the ancient Egyptians.

[edit on 16-9-2009 by buds84]

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Is this man racist?
Blacks in Sports: The Darwinian Race by Uzo Ometu

I would like to propose that the reason for black success in their athletic pursuits, their higher levels of testosterone, and their inclining position in sports, is the resulting factors of the triangle slave trade and American slavery

Read the whole article. Mr. Ometu has done a wonderful job backing up his claim. And since he is an African American, hopefully the race factor can be ignored here. P.S. those of you calling me a racist have no clue what my race is, only assumptions.

With only the top third of blacks surviving the Trans-Atlantic slave trade, not to mention New Worlders only selecting the strongest looking individuals in the first place, it is no wonder that Blacks have come along to dominate the most prevalent sports

-E-

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by jester1211

Jews were enslaved for many thousand years but we never let it get the best of it, in fact it helped us grow as a people.

Wrong, that is a myth put forth by the bible and believed by christians. There is zero archaeological evidence to support that. Whoever built those pyramids took care of there artisans and there is evidence to back up that claim.

Blacks were enslaved for less than 200 and they think the world owes them a living.

Wrong again there, it lasted longer than 200 years. Some jews sure seem to think the world owes them something..thats how they got Isreal.

here are obvious benefits of slavery...how about the fact that if it were not for slavery the mass majority of blacks would not be in the world's most prosperous nation. That this nation would not be as prosperous as it is now if it were not for slavery. They have so many more oppurtunities now then they would have if it were not for slavery (they would still be in Africa living in famine and disease). This is not racist, it's just a fact.

This world wouldn't even be the same without the slave trade. That's just a fact unlike yours which is mere speculation. "(they would still be in Africa living in famine and disease)", that statement shows how much you really know.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by xmotex

Yea i agree with that. It's more of a realistic goal (to them) to become an professional athlete than a doctor. It's all about money..

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
People keep saying "its 2009, not the 50's, get with the times" and I agree, get with the times.
And what I mean by that is that it is a shame that in this day and age, mature people cannot have a discussion about race and its differences without the entire conversation being labeled racist.

Color is truly only skin deep, it isnt the color that really makes people different but the culture that people of different nations of color adopt.

Seriously though, it really is a shame that unless a person is a geneticist or some other type of scientist, they are quickly labeled a racist, if they discuss race in anyway.

Also, to the OP, thats a great theory you have there but you cant really claim it as your own, since pretty much everything youve written is already well known and is just a google search away.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by cenpuppie
You my friend aren't racist, and you can feel better about it coming from a black dude. It's what i've been saying for awhile, the only reason why black folks have a physical edge when it comes to sports is the because of the time spent in slavery.

Slaves were breed and mated like livestock.

But don't feel to bad, there was a white guy, in sports, who said the same thing and the media pretty much drummed him out?

MY question is how is it racist to infer that blacks actually got a physical "leg-up" during slavery? I mean damn, that's the only thing my ancestors got, well that and a ticket the most kick ass country in the world but i digress..

Great post S&F for you!

That's what I love about black people ... you really are so chill.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Wow, only 4 flags with 8 pages?

OP, let the haters hate, that's what they do.

I have a few additional things for you to add to your theory.

The slave traders wanted the best stock..it's like how we trade horses and cattle today
Your base stock is better than average and figure in selective breeding as well.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
My son has a black friend from school, he comes over for the weekend just about every weekend and we have lan parties with the xbox.
Anyway, he is the biggest 14 year old kid that ive ever seen, at about 6-3 and a couple of hundred pounds and wears a (get this) size 18 shoe.

One of the cool things about him is that despite his size, hes one of the most polite, humble teens that ive met and thats saying something these days.

There isnt a shoe store in the city that can fit him, he has to buy his shoes on the internet, usually ebay.
Now im not saying that he got that way due to selective breeding or anything but damn, hes got the biggest feet that ive ever seen

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join