It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God isn't a religion!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Greetings all. I just thought of this simple llittle line and wanted to share it with everyone.

God truly is not a religion. People use religion to put other people down. To somehow feel superior to other human beings. People fight wars over religion and have been since the dawn of religion. Pathetic, right?

How can a large group of people claim ownership of God?

God just is. Religion is just stupid.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Religion is just a group of people that all agree on a specific set of beliefs.

As for wars...that's a human thing not a religious one.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

As for wars...that's a human thing not a religious one.

No offense, but this statement completely contradicts itself. Religion IS a human thing and wars are fought by humans for religious purposes and have been again, since the dawn of religion. Religion is a power thing...not a God thing.

God is a God thing.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Maybe I should have been more specific. War is not something that happens on behalf of a group of people that all share a set of religious beliefs.

In your opinion, if nobody had faith in a set of beliefs regarding God, we wouldn't have conflict or wars?

[edit on 9/14/2009 by kinglizard]

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   

if nobody had faith in a set of beliefs regarding God, we wouldn't have conflict or wars?

That's not what I said at all. Wars are fought for other reasons, i.e. politics and funny: religion is politics.

Say NO to religion! Let God.

[edit on 14-9-2009 by Excitable_Boy]

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Ok then I guess I read this wrong?

Originally posted by Excitable_Boy
Religion IS a human thing and wars are fought by humans for religious purposes and have been again, since the dawn of religion.

If wars are fought for many reasons by humans then wars over people subscribing to the same set of beliefs regarding God is not any more significant than wars fought over land rights and riches. As I said....It's a human thing....

edit: spelling

[edit on 9/14/2009 by kinglizard]

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I agree and disagree with both of you lol. Religion is a thing made by people FOR people. Wars are INDEED fought for religious reason at times, however people more often than not USE religion as a convenient excuse to further their own agendas. if religion did not exist it wouldnt stop them. Organized religion IMO is not much more than the largest money scam of all time... now, would you please pass that collection plate so i can hurry up with this salvation thing, i have a business meeting in 5 minutes...

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I don't think its religion that makes people war. Its the people running the religion that make people war. God didn't say kill. Name one religion besides Islam that say kill! Again its the people running the religion that are in power that incite war. And then those that are running the religion that are in power hungry are afraid of losing there power and their rule over people that incite war. That's why Jesus died. That's why all are great prophets died. Because of Jealous evil heart men. Religion don't kill, Religion is a set of beliefs, and a set of beliefs can't kill. Its the men who supposedly hold these beliefs.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   

If wars are fought for many reasons by humans then wars over people subscribing to the same set of beliefs regarding God is not any more significant than wars fought over land rights and riches. As I said....It's a human thing....

I agree. It's a HUMAN thing...just as religion is a human thing. I didn't say religion was the only reason for wars. There are many but religion is by far the largest reason for wars by humankind.

Here's some logic for you:

God is against war.
Religion isn't against war.
God is, therefore, against religion.

Again: God is not a religion.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
God is peace yes,
but he allowed these wars.

You are still searching evil,
start to see the good of people,
then you will understand.

God does not leave evil people,
evil people leave him.
by ignorance.

Evil is a wrong word...religions fight for a part to save your soul,
because they really believe it as need, and many act from care,
they did not decide their start point, they only decide where to go.
like all of us.

You can't ask a grandmother to read original aramaic scriptures,
but you can help her to explain god is everything, and because of this,
he loves himself, and because of this his law is love god, forgive all,
at least try, if they want to be forgiven. Growth is the keyword,
not absolutes.

[edit on 15-9-2009 by pasttheclouds]

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Basically you're both arguing semantics, which I know EB is particularly good at.

My religion is my set of beliefs that surround my GOD.

My God is the force with which I and everything else is realized.

I do believe organized religion is poison. If one cannot find religion on their own, then they do not deserve faith. Looking within oneself to find your God is the most important thing in life, and that God may look different to each individual.

There is no right or wrong, and thats why I think there is war. People are so simple minded that they must apply definition to each of their belief systems, and using the idealogies of "right" and "wrong" only bring politics into religion. It is a very convenient way to tell people how you think things in the world should be. GOD WILL PUNISH YOU IF YOU DO NOT BEHAVE THE WAY I BELIEVE YOU SHOULD.

Personal religion is a very beautiful thing, but it makes you realize how diluted and pitiful most of the rest of the people in the world are.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by slymattb
I don't think its religion that makes people war. Its the people running the religion that make people war. God didn't say kill. Name one religion besides Islam that say kill! Again its the people running the religion that are in power that incite war. And then those that are running the religion that are in power hungry are afraid of losing there power and their rule over people that incite war. That's why Jesus died. That's why all are great prophets died. Because of Jealous evil heart men. Religion don't kill, Religion is a set of beliefs, and a set of beliefs can't kill. Its the men who supposedly hold these beliefs.

i am so tired of ignorant bigoted comments about Islam... anyway name one religion that says kill??? hmmmmm how bout Christianity for starters????
Deuteronomy 21:18-21 (King James Version)

18If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them:

19Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place;

20And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard.

21And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear.

sounds pretty much like killing there in my opinion

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
all religions have 2 sides.
They have God is One stated
and they have a curse integrated.

Torah was Love God, God is all = blessing
symbolism was integrated in the curse version,
which needs witnesses and makes god divided and untrue.

same for islam.

Islam is a beauty of a religion if you understand it,
it speaks about the same god as christians,
they just do not understand the LAW = GOD IS ONE.
explained in gospels : the father does not judge, the son neither

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Excitable_Boy

God does not care.

We apply human emotions and requirements on 'god'.

Religion is a result of human requirement for power and/or social bonding.

War is a result of human requirements for power which results from fear.

We Humans (like all life not just the human experience) are here to provide an understading, an aspect of self of this creational source.
We are a result of something, all life is, evolution reflects that concept, that we change as a RESULT of needs. So as a 'result' we are answers for something
Enjoy being an answer today and each day, we are not the big question (or chaos or infinity or god).

If god knew what it was....would we be here? would we kill starve, cheat lie? those are all appications by humans, like war and religion.
If god knew what it was then we are just all actors in a entertaining play, as opposed to providing a sence of understanding. good and bad understadings.

I personally am simply greateful and just enjoy the gift of living, whether it is for a benevolent being or a result of a random occorunace.

Living and dying simply perpetuate infinity.

We exist in infinity, call it god if you must.

EDIT to add: the fact that we 'choose' our god with no immortal repurcussion other than 'made up mystical ones', shows me a glaring loophole.....

[edit on 15-9-2009 by zazzafrazz]

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by SantaClaus

Personal religion is a very beautiful thing, but it makes you realize how diluted and pitiful most of the rest of the people in the world are.

Good to see you SantaClaus. I would agree with you here except I would replace the word "religion" with faith. I have my faith. God is a big part of my faith. And by God...I mean God. There's only one. Some may have a different name or a different story but, in the end, there is only one.

God does not care.

Hi zazzafrazz....welcome. I never said God cared (and I'm not saying He doesn't). I'm the one that cares.

I believe most people make a mistake the way they ask for things. Many people pray for selfish reasons. Or they pray for foolish things. Whenever I ask for something, I always end it with something like "Thy will be done." I believe this because I am a mere human and mortal. What kind of arrogance would I have to have to think that I can tell God what I require and expect Him to jump to it?

Religion is extremely arrogant.

God is cool.

[edit on 15-9-2009 by Excitable_Boy]

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I suppose I am assuming "faith" and "belief" are synonymous with religion.

I agree with you 100%, EB, I just use different terminology.

To dilute ones soul with the poison of organized religion destroys the beautiful enterprise that is personal faith. If you're not willing to look for yourself, you will never find the truth. No one can tell you because there are no words.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Excitable_Boy

No offense, but this statement completely contradicts itself. Religion IS a human thing and wars are fought by humans for religious purposes and have been again, since the dawn of religion. Religion is a power thing...not a God thing.

God is a God thing.

Sorry, but the answer is a big NO.

Evil people in history have always used RELIGION as a LAME EXCUSE to wage WAR and grab more land and POWER.

Remove religion and they will start using NATIONAL SECURITY as the next lame excuse. Religion is not to blame, it's people, it's US

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Yea but Exboy, the problem is that a God unknown is a God that could be anything to the human imagination. Would it not make sense for God to come down and reveal himself to people and his laws like a parent instead of keeping us in the dark?

I see all these souls say.

" Religion was created for power "

yet not one of them gives any possibility of a revealed truth by a super natural God and prophets.

Now as for God commanding murder. God cannot be dumb enough to contradict himself and say.

" Thou shall not kill "

This is a commandment not only in our church still, but always has been with God. What happened in the OT was a result of tribes plotting against isrealites and war.

Thou shall not kill means, to any sane person with understaning, is unjust murder on the street for no reason.

and so that command is not only still a command with God but one of the gravest sins according to the catholic catechism.

so again, stuff like the crusades, that might of been hypocrites leading those and or it might of been to fight off a muslim takeover.

again we never know, because God reads hearts and knows who plots against his will.

The religion I believe in is Catholicism and I believe it is the Church the prophets in the OT and Christ himself predicted would spread throughout the world and have a living clean sacrafice predicted in Daniel and throuhgout the OT.

To say it's stupid offends me, and it's your opinion. it'snot stupid to me.

God bless you. You'll find your way Exitabe boy. I remember you from way back, when you first came on you had a zeal for God, and then it seems like you went away from that maybee it was the athiest saying God is false soo much, people actually start to believe it.

You'll find your way, just don't close your heart to where God leads you in the future.

peace.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Religion = Practices that compliment beliefs

God = Reality

God - religion = God still exists

Religion - God = False Beliefs

------------
God is FACT. As far as my reality is concerned.
Just as God isn't for atheists.

God never needed religion to sustain his existence, but he made religion possible to sustain ours!

I can't help but notice how much he actually cares for human beings. Unfortunately, it can be easily ignored.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by JesusisTruth

God bless you. You'll find your way Exitabe boy. I remember you from way back, when you first came on you had a zeal for God, and then it seems like you went away from that maybee it was the athiest saying God is false soo much, people actually start to believe it.

You'll find your way, just don't close your heart to where God leads you in the future.

Ha? Have you been paying attention? I have God in my life and I have faith. Why am I "lost" to you if I don't have religion? This is pathetic really. I didn't go anywhere JIT...I'm right here and quite serene in my faith in God.

It seems you have lost YOUR way friend...

You seem to be all over the place. First off...Catholicism? By far the worst Christian organization on the planet. Don't get me started with the pedophile priests and a church that has it's own living god....the Pope (who hides pedophile priests)? What the hell is a Pope? Similar to Mormons...with their "Prophet."

You also said God thinks it's okay to kill "sometimes?" In the "right situation?" Really.....then that opens it up for interpretation by all kinds of lunatic fringes that say they are killing for God. I don't think the commandment reads "Though shalt not kill, unless it is necessary." I think that is one of the Mafia commandeents. The mafia, of course is simlar to the Catholic church and no accident they both got their start in Italy. And what the hell is the Vatican? The Pope gets his own country? Free of the laws of other countries?

I'll pray for you JIT...I hope YOU someday find YOUR way....

God bless!

[edit on 16-9-2009 by Excitable_Boy]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join