It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looking for medical data on squalene

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
My wife is a doctor and divided on the issue of the swine flu vaccine. Personally she and i wont be taking the vaccine. However she cant deny it to patients who want it without just cause

Her medical peers are unfamiliar with conspiracy issues or the concerns over the vaccine's additive known as squalene.

You would be surprised at some of the sources Ive come across that claim squalene is deadly. Infowars had a few stories quoting one source who it turns out is a dentist and did no formal study.

Can someone point me to a specific study done by doctors printed by a reputable publication that proves squalene is dangerous ? Ive read the stories that suggest a possible link to GBS and Gulf War syndrome but those werent actual studies done.

I need actual medical study for her to make this decision. And so far the data she has come across suggests that squalene is perfectly fine. Nothing in any medical journal she has seen so far indicates any issues

My guess is Gulf War syndrome likely did come from squalene additive simply because the pentagon spent yrs denying it was even in the anthrax vaccine. That alone suggests they knew its deadly otherwise why hide the fact that it as in there ?

She needs something more solid though before she can deny patients a vaccine the goverment and every major medical source says is safe
[edit on 14-9-2009 by admriker444]

[edit on 14-9-2009 by admriker444]

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I have no idea about the British Journal of Cancer or can figure out what this says:
bad
www.nature.com...

A 2000 study published in the American Journal of Pathology demonstrated a single injection of the adjuvant squalene into rats triggered “chronic, immune-mediated joint-specific inflammation,” also known as rheumatoid arthritis.[vii]

The researchers concluded the study raised questions about the role of adjuvants in chronic inflammatory diseases.

A study conducted at Tulane Medical School and published in the February 2000 issue of Experimental Molecular Pathology included these stunning statistics:

“ … the substantial majority (95%) of overtly ill deployed GWS patients had antibodies to squalene. All (100%) GWS patients immunized for service in Desert Shield/Desert Storm who did not deploy, but had the same signs and symptoms as those who did deploy, had antibodies to squalene.

In contrast, none (0%) of the deployed Persian Gulf veterans not showing signs and symptoms of GWS have antibodies to squalene. Neither patients with idiopathic autoimmune disease nor healthy controls had detectable serum antibodies to squalene. The majority of symptomatic GWS patients had serum antibodies to squalene.”[xi]

According to Dr. Viera Scheibner, Ph.D., a former principle research scientist for the government of Australia:

“… this adjuvant [squalene] contributed to the cascade of reactions called "Gulf War Syndrome," documented in the soldiers involved in the Gulf War.

The symptoms they developed included arthritis, fibromyalgia, lymphadenopathy, rashes, photosensitive rashes, malar rashes, chronic fatigue, chronic headaches, abnormal body hair loss, non-healing skin lesions, aphthous ulcers, dizziness, weakness, memory loss, seizures, mood changes, neuropsychiatric problems, anti-thyroid effects, anaemia, elevated ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), systemic lupus erythematosus, multiple sclerosis, ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis), Raynaud’s phenomenon, Sjorgren’s syndrome, chronic diarrhoea, night sweats and low-grade fevers.”[xii]

not bad
www.sciencedirect.com... 011730081&_rerunOrigin=google&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=64226cbaf494aab1901a9f9766c78819

Different studies, different answers.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Doctor G

yes my wife read those. the studies suggested antibodies were produced to squalene.

it doesnt say or prove squalene does anything. essentially it means further study is needed.

i suppose the many posts and topics out here and on infowars will simply ignore this pesky fact though. again i challenge anyone to show me a medical study linking squalene to gbs or gulf war syndrome or cancer.

I admit I was at first against the idea of a swine flu vaccine and read the inflammatory stories on infowars. Ive changed my mind though because the facts just dont match what conspiracy sites are telling us

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
and i see the same old copy and paste of Dr. Schiebner ridiculous claims.

www.apologia.com...

read that link. thats just one of many real studies that prove Schiebner is full of crap. Schiebner claims all vaccines are bad and uses junk science to state that SIDS is linked to vaccines. This has been disproven by several studies.

folks im a conspiracy buff or i wouldnt be here. i believe the elite are trying to run the world. i believe in alien life, etc.

but there is just no proof that the swine flu or any other vaccine is bad for us.

whats more likely, a secret conspiracy by the elite, pharm, doctors, colleges, medical think tanks, research labs, and govts. to reduce global populations by giving us a vaccine ??? Or maybe its just what it appears to be, a corp trying to make a profit by offering a treatment for something that causes disease ?

yeah the media overhyped this. thats what they do, its called getting ratings for advertising dollars. but to stretch this whole thing with some quack that hates vaccines without proof is pure insanity

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Gulf War Syndrome (GWS) is a multisystemic illness afflicting many Gulf War-era veterans. The molecular pathological basis for GWS has not been established. We sought to determine whether the presence of antibodies to squalene correlates with the presence of signs and symptoms of GWS. Participants in this blinded cohort study were individuals immunized for service in Desert Shield/Desert Storm during 1990-1991. They included 144 Gulf War-era veterans or military employees (58 in the blinded study), 48 blood donors, 40 systemic lupus erythematosus patients, 34 silicone breast implant recipients, and 30 chronic fatigue syndrome patients. Serum antibodies to squalene were measured. In our small cohort, the substantial majority (95%) of overtly ill deployed GWS patients had antibodies to squalene. All (100%) GWS patients immunized for service in Desert Shield/Desert Storm who did not deploy, but had the same signs and symptoms as those who did deploy, had antibodies to squalene. In contrast, none (0%) of the deployed Persian Gulf veterans not showing signs and symptoms of GWS have antibodies to squalene. Neither patients with idiopathic autoimmune disease nor healthy controls had detectable serum antibodies to squalene. The majority of symptomatic GWS patients had serum antibodies to squalene. Copyright 2000 Academic Press.

www.avip2001.net...

We previously reported that antibodies to squalene, an experimental vaccine adjuvant, are present in persons with symptoms consistent with Gulf War Syndrome (GWS) (P. B. Asa et al., Exp. Mol. Pathol 68, 196–197, 2000). The United States Department of Defense initiated the Anthrax Vaccine Immunization Program (AVIP) in 1997 to immunize 2.4 million military personnel. Because adverse reactions in vaccinated personnel were similar to symptoms of GWS, we tested AVIP participants for anti-squalene antibodies (ASA). In a pilot study, 6 of 6 vaccine recipients with GWS-like symptoms were positive for ASA. In a larger blinded study, only 32% (8/25) of AVIP personnel compared to 15.7% (3/19) of controls were positive (P  0.05). Further analysis revealed that ASA were associated with specific lots of vaccine. The incidence of ASA in personnel in the blinded study receiving these lots was 47% (8/17) compared to an incidence of 0% (0/8; P  0.025) of the AVIP participants receiving other lots of vaccine. Analysis of additional personnel revealed that in all but one case (19/20; 95%), ASA were restricted to personnel immunized with lots of vaccine known to contain squalene. Except for one symptomatic individual, positive clinical findings in 17 ASA-negative personnel were restricted to 4 individuals receiving vaccine from lots containing squalene. ASA were not present prior to vaccination in preimmunization sera available from 4 AVIP personnel. Three of these individuals became ASA positive after vaccination. These results suggest that the production of ASA in GWS patients is linked to the presence of squalene in certain lots of anthrax vaccine. © 2002 Elsevier Science (USA)
Key Words: anthrax vaccines; adverse adjuvant effect; squalene toxicity;
Gulf War Syndrome; multisystem disorders.
INTRODUCTION

The Anthrax Vaccine Adsorbed contains aluminium hydroxide as an adjuvant.[5] Each dose of the vaccine contains no more that 0.83 mg aluminum per 0.5 mL dose. This is near the allowed upper limit of 0.85 mg/dose.[13] The BioPort anthrax vaccine also contains 0.0025% benzethonium chloride as a preservative, and 0.0037% formaldehyde as a stabilizer.[5]

In 2007, tests with mice of the anthrax vaccine using aluminum hydroxide adjuvant were reported as resulting in adverse neuropathy symptoms.[14]

2005 judge stops the vaccine

2008 judge rules vaccines can be given

[edit on 14-9-2009 by JBA2848]

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by admriker444

You are my new best friend.

Originally posted by admriker444
...Or maybe its just what it appears to be, a corp trying to make a profit by offering a treatment for something that causes disease ?

And a government filled with bureaucrats and politicians terrified of any possible accusation that they did nothing should something actually materialize.

A perfect storm of predation and idiocy... In other words, normal human governance of its affairs.

On topic, good luck with your research.

Unfortunately, I suspect your timing is way off...

[edit on 14-9-2009 by loam]

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by admriker444
reply to post by Doctor G

I admit I was at first against the idea of a swine flu vaccine and read the inflammatory stories on infowars. Ive changed my mind though because the facts just dont match what conspiracy sites are telling us

Unfortunately is really hard to get any 'objective' studies if big pharma controls all studies. Back in undergad (10 years ago) i was working at a lab as an assistant and many graduate students would tell me that their research was never 100% theirs because to get the grants, they would have to comply with the terms. At the time I didn't really probe much into that, but looking back, i guess research is only done on those topics that are funded by the 'big dogs.'

Anyway, when i worked in the hospitals, I never got the flu vaccines b/c i took pride in the fact that i was always healthy; many nurses would line up to get the vaccine; two of my friends ended up in the ICU and they swore it was vaccine related. Their doctors and other nurses said that most likely the reaction came from some pre existing condition. These 2 women now refuse to vaccinate their kids or themselves.

As your wife should know, we all react differently to vaccines; 100 people might take a medication, and maybe 5 of them will come out with adverse side effects. It could be blamed on the fact that their bodies were weaker, but you will never see drug companies saying that it was the chemicals in their drugs that caused the problem, even though their drugs are full of adverse side effects. Just 2 months ago I had to take prednisone because I develop a severe infection; after 2 doses, I was itching like a maniac. I told my doctor and he said, nah, not really related to prednisone; i continue the dosage next day, and again, severe itching. I stopped taking it, and itching gone. Bottom line, doctors are many times clueless. That's why they practice medicine----cause they barely get it right, and thus, they keep on practicing hoping to one day become professionals.

new topics

top topics

join