It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shocker! Senate Overwhelmingly APPROVES De-Funding ACORN

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I think it's no surprise that an organization with as much controversy swirling around it is going to lose its government funding.

And I get the impression ACORN is flaky enough (even if they're not half as bad as their detractors claim) that they probably shouldn't be getting federal contracts.

Now if they'd only stop giving Blackwate...(cough) Xe my tax money also I would be doubly thrilled

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
THE RUG IS UP!!

THE BROOMS ARE READY!!!

SWEEP!!

The Senate's actions amount to nothing. Just feel good politics. Pelosi will table the issue for a few months and this will all blow over. People actually think that the Senate stopper ACORN from getting any more tax dollars. To them this is already over and done with. The DEMS need ACORN to be in place for 2010. Their name change will be complete then and the MSM will fall all over itself in announcing that ACORN is gone. The worst part is that people will believe it.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by mike dangerously

I don't believe that is possible at this point, it's waaaaaaaaaay too big a story at this point, and too many people have been exposed to it.

If he wants any chance of moderates and independants voting for him in 2012 he'll have to throw them under the bus.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

You are assuming that it will even make it pass the house it won't it's gonna be "in committee." which we all know is Congress-speak for paper shredder.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I was under the impression that ACORN receives no direct federal funding. If their funding is through donations and sub contracts, this will have no effect on them. I suspect this is nothing more than an attempt to get the more conservative voters excited while actually doing nothing. ACORN will operate as usual while politicians can tell their conservative voters that they struck a blow against ACORN.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaploink

They get considerable taxpayer dollars, over 50 million so far and ...
possible access to billions more. A discussion last night on the House floor follows.

Seems lonely in there.

But yes, they do receive money from many other sources..

As far as the taxpayer funding, it is Congress' responsibility to make sure that the organization is being run within the guidelines they have stipulated...

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

The White House is watching the Acorn tapes from Big Government.com!
Acorn behavior "unacceptable".
Big Government.com
Headlines are coming in fast and furious!
Acorn drops the smear defense and tries reform instead.

We have reached critical mass.
God bless James O'Keefe and Hannah Giles.
Thank you for your hard work.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join