It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shocker! Senate Overwhelmingly APPROVES De-Funding ACORN

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR
How much more of this bad publicity can Obama take and keep smiling?

Obama during his campaign said that he may be only a one term president, ACORN was in part a major player in his campaign and ultimate election, it should come as no surprise that among the first bills signed by him included billions of dollars for ACORN in the bailout/stimulus. The president has pushed his agendas hard since being elected, he wanted, and expected that many of his reforms would be passed before the August summer break without too much exposure to the American people... He knew that if it stalled, and if the people had time to see what was going on, his popularity would fall, and that is what has and is happening.... ACORN was involved heavily in the democratic party's activities and more importantly involved in nearly ALL campaigns for democrat reps in the house and senate, as well as President Obama's... ACORN social agendas are the driving force behind most of this. The wall of protection, secrecy and massive federal funding has cracked, and is now falling, it has and will expose much more corruption...

He ran with these clowns! He was ONE OF THEM!

Exactly!

People won't be any wiser, because this "victory" will allow folks to pat themselves on the back and they'll forget that no justice falls to the men behind the organization. Only the organization's NAME suffers. The people behind the curtain just move on to another corrupt venture.

Don't be so quick to underestimate the people, it was people who made this happen not federal agencies. These are good signs for our future, it is time to remove the massive fraud and corruption from our government. ACORN is only a first step, there are many other corrupt special interests and lobbyists... And the Republican party has its own special interests and lobbyists just as corrupt as ACORN. And ACORN will likely be reincarnated into something else.

The war to take back our country has only just begun.

The American people are waking up.

[edit on 15-9-2009 by Walkswithfish]

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   
www.foxnews.com...\
this very well could have something to do with it ... acorn is scum

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by MysterE
This makes me soo happy! I posted a thread earlier about ACORN asking for 6 million. Guess the asnwer was NO!!!

-E-

Hey i googled where Rumsfeld was on the date you mention, can you explain that a bit further please?

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
The vote count 83 - 7 shows that this is non partisan...

Who were the 7 who sided with Acorn and the 9 who didn't vote?

Who voted YES.

Burris (D-IL)
Casey (D-PA)
Durbin (D-IL)
Gillibrand (D-NY)
Leahy (D-VT)
Sanders (I-VT)
Whitehouse (D-RI)

9 not voting…

Burr (R-NC)
Byrd (D-WV)
Coburn (R-OK)
Graham (R-SC)
Gregg (R-NH)
Hutchison (R-TX)
McCain (R-AZ)
Mikulski (D-MD)
Vitter (R-LA)

I would ask them to explain their positions if they were in my State, but they aren't.

Didn't realize we had a Senator Whitehouse.........wonder what they will run for?

[edit on 15-9-2009 by pavil]

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Hmm.. fast growing thread. For this reason I bring this factoid forward.

Not sure how happy or convinced you should really be.

From my post on page one of this thread, ACORN International has officially changed its name to “Community Organizations International.”

This might just be another dog and pony show that the politicians are using to feign support for thier constituents.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Libertarian journalist Glenn Beck is promising a 4th and much more shocking video tonight on his program. Some of my thoughts..

1. WHERE the hell was the inter-company memo that these 2 people were trying to trick the ACORN people and to be aware of it???? t's like in each of these videos the ACORN employees have no idea that these are BLASTED constantly on the news, (well, the REAL journalists report it at least).

2. ACORN spokemen have said this (de-funding) will do little damage to the organization, and that they will still operate smoothly with donations. I say, WHO CARES??? I'm THRILLED that MY tax dollars will no longer be funding them.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
About time!

Excellent news, indeed. S&F for the OP!

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
This is good news. ACORN is an example of an organization that started out with a good purpose and helped a lot of people, but over time, grew to be corrupt. Like some of the labor unions and even the political parties we all know and hate.
They all started out with good intentions and even honorable actions, but greed (mostly) won out in the end.

I'm kind of surprised at this vote, but pleased.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Just last week, the Census Bureau severed its ties with ACORN, saying it does not want the group's help in outreach efforts on the decennial count.

haha, that pretty much says it all right there.

Sen. Mike Johanns, R-Neb., said that ACORN has received $53 million in taxpayer funds since 1994 and that the group was eligible for a wider set of funding in the pending legislation, which funds housing and transportation programs.

I could have sworn those pimp and prostitute videos from Baltimore looked staged, but apparently that ACTUALLY went down, which makes me baffled even more by the workers of acorn. crazy stuff!

[edit on 15-9-2009 by drsmooth23]

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
ACORN is just one of many being subsidized by our Taxpayer Money, how many more are there out there like that???

With all the senseless and irresponsible Earmarks and Appropriations made by our government over the years, ACORN is just the sacrificial lamb. We need to get rid of every damn elected official and bureaucrat in our government. This has gone on for decades and the whole damn system needs to cleaned out world wide from the corrupt cop on the corner right up to those that control the money on this Planet. People just want to exist and get along but "The Powers That Be" deny and won't let us.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Boomer1941

Senator Richard Shelby calling for immediate and thorough investigation
of Acorn. GOP is piling on with Acorn disgrace.
Fox News
A 4th video coming out today. Acorn caught for a 4th time!
Watch Glenn Beck today!

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
This really explains a mystery to me.

I could not for the life of me figure out why Obama and members of his administration had been calling New York Democrats (in one case Obama himself made the call) and basically ordering them not to run against Sen. Gillibrand in a primary in 2010.

I could not figure out why. Gillibrand was appointed by our incompetent Governor to finish Sen. Clinton's term in a puzzling move because there were dozens of people more qualified. So why the heck would Obama's team be so focused on intimidating possible opposition out of running?

Now I know why.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
Libertarian journalist Glenn Beck is promising a 4th and much more shocking video tonight on his program. Some of my thoughts..

1. WHERE the hell was the inter-company memo that these 2 people were trying to trick the ACORN people and to be aware of it???? t's like in each of these videos the ACORN employees have no idea that these are BLASTED constantly on the news, (well, the REAL journalists report it at least).

just to answer your first question, the vids were created earlier this summer and didnt come out till now.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
More info on Sen. Shelby's demans for an investigation on ACORN:

thehill.com

...Shelby, the top Republican on the committee that handles Housing and Urban Affairs, penned letters to chairman Chris Dodd (D) and the inspector general of the Department of Housing and Urban Development requesting an "immediate an thorough investigation" into ACORN's activities.

The move comes a day after the Senate voted to strip funding ACORN of its federal funding.

"While this vote is important, it is limited in scope and we must know more," Shelby said.

"It is imperative that we proceed immediately to investigate what appears to be ACORN’s stunning disregard for the law and abuse of taxpayer funds. Such an investigation would serve as the basis for determining not only whether ACORN is worthy of receiving other federal funds this year, but ever again.”

The ball is rolling but as has been mentioned many times before, this is only one part of massive spider web of deception.

Maybe this can be uncovered via a Congressional investigation, with hopefully a criminal investigation by the Justice Department.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
ACORN Outrage: A Corruption Smokescreen Masking Real Injustice

This outrage is misplaced on an entire organization when just a few bad apples were caught.

But the bigger picture of this is the media whitewash and smokescreen of the real corrupt who are getting away with much worse moral and legal injustices daily.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by AllSeeingI

Your kidding right? This organization is corrup to the core, its founders brother was convicted of embezzling 1million dollars, THEN the head of the TIDES foundation another progression movement organization bailed him out!

This thing goes WAY deeper than just the people who got caught on video, i suggest you do some research, this is media slander or blowing things out of proportion , ACORN has been accused of falsifying documents and voter fraud all over the United States, its not like this is the first thing to come up.

People open your eyes, and see whats going on.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
The democrats supported taking away funding from Acorn, but they are already getting funding worth billions more under numerous shell companies.The did it to appear as if theyare being good stewards of our money, when really they want what acorn wants. Acorn doesn't care about the lost money because they have other sources and the shell has served it's purpose. The Republicans voted with the bill because they think it makes Obama look bad.

We need a full inquirey in the public eye to track down all the corruption and get our money back and seperate the trully criminal from those who are just low level peons getting tossed under the bus.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by dizzie56

Ahhh, now I know, point noted. So the next Q is, how many more are we going to see????

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllSeeingI
ACORN Outrage: A Corruption Smokescreen Masking Real Injustice

This outrage is misplaced on an entire organization when just a few bad apples were caught.

But the bigger picture of this is the media whitewash and smokescreen of the real corrupt who are getting away with much worse moral and legal injustices daily.

I disagree, the 'bad apples' are those running ACORN. On your 2nd point I completely agree, there really is no real "journalism" being done these days by the MSM, they are almost a propaganda apparatus for the left wing.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
Just keep in mind this has only passed the Senate.. it still has to go through the House..

The vote count 83 - 7 shows that this is non partisan...

However, this is only the beginning, this only deals with the ACORN housing.. it is not all inclusive..

We still need a Congressional investigation into the entire organization and all it's affiliates.

Don't be satisfied with this. I am surprised that this happened so quickly but this doesn't mean it's over...

..by a long shot..
This is going to amount to nothing.There won't be a Congressional investigation of any kind this will get killed in the house and on the off chance it does get pass Obama is gonna veto this so fast it's not even gonna make the 10:00 pm news.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join