It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the 60's counter culture..abbie hoffman. hippies and yippies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
whats your take on this? i have become fascinated with this topic. i have several books on hold at the local library that i can't wait to dive into. i want to be well informed on it.
just wondered what some of you guys and gals thought of the 'counter culture movement'....what you think about abbie hoffman and the whole cointelpro thing..

i was born in 1978 and i feel like i was born in the wrong time. i think i belonged in the 60's. with what was going on here and abroad i could easily see myself as one of these 'disidents', involved in the anti war movement and civil rights...

please share your thoughts......thank you

link to an about abbie hoffman for those that don't know who he was

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by thing fish

Man, I get this ALL THE TIME!

Though it's not resticted to the 60s..

I was born in 85, but get yearnings for the 20s, 30s, 40s....60's and 70's...

Must be past lives reminding me to look back!

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
the 60's is where i wanted to be.
of course i would not have wanted to go to nam. i think i would have been on the side of the likes of people like abbie hoffman and jerry reuban.
plus the cars, the music, the changing of the times among other things. seems very appealing to me and i feel ripped off that i was not a part of it.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I was 18 in 1965.

My life had`been sheltered and I was on my way to college and a career.

I soon met new friends and found the world to be a whole lot different than anything I had ever lived.

It wasn't long before I tuned in, turned on and left for parts unknown. It was very normal for young people to roam from town to town.

There were always safe houses where we could spend a few nights and not worry about getting hurt. Then we moved on.

It was a magical world I'll never forget. Music was the catalyst that kept us moving.

The feeling of oneness, peace and love was like a drug by itself.

I look back on those couple of years of wandering and marvel that I never went hungry or dirty. We shared everything we had.

If I could I would go back in time just to feel that feeling of total abandonment and freedom.

Of course, I can always close my eyes and listen to music and go back anytime. But I can't stay. The music stops and I'm in the terrible 2's.

That is the terrible 2000's. I don't like this time period much at all.

Rock on.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   
I'm with you dizzie. This time period now is out of control. Gimme the rockin 60's and 70's any day over this. You're right. It was safe to wander around town barefoot in halter tops and bell-bottom jeans after dark. No worries about robberies at gunpoint or kidnapping. The world was a much safer, peaceful, pleasant place to live. I was a child in the 50's and it was the BEST!

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Oh yeah, it was the music that made the 60s so special. Peace was big. We never felt threatened to walk about at night, we had a very close group of friends that all believed in each other. And we took care of each other we played in the sun and slept out under the stars all summer.

Yet, Viet Nam was very much apart of the counter culture, the protests against the war started out in benevolent ways but gradually became disruptive with police and hippies throwing things at each other. It became chaotic. However, it was a time of people uniting and standing up to the government for their ideals and way of life. Anti establishment was a theme during this time. It is too bad we don't have the kind of unity and oneness that was part of the 60's.

Enough about the war, the message was in the music. Bob Dylan always a dissident, but telling true stories. Jimi Hendrix and his electric Ladyland, Purple Haze and mild stimulating posters and other things. Just really getting out of society and being free to think and do what you felt like and not caring about what society thought about it. Freedom, it was all about freedom.
Janis Joplin
Country Joe and the Fish
Jimi Morrison and the Doors
Derek and the Dominoes
Sha Na Na

I will always love the rock music of that era, it was a wonderful time to be young, wild and free.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Here is a lot of information about Laurel Canyon that you might find interesting:

davesweb.cnchost.com...

(Thanks to Faulconandsnowjob who originally posted it.)

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by berenike

thats some killer reading right there.
thanks for that.

new topics

top topics

join