It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EXCLUSIVE: US Launches Military Strike in Somalia Against al Qaeda Target

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
abcnews.go.com...

A US Official Confirms That Nabhan's Body Was Recovered By The Attacking US Forces.

A U.S. commando attack in Somalia has killed an al Qaeda operative who is on the FBI's list of most wanted terrorists, sources tell ABC News.

The dead terrorist, Saleh Ali Nabhan, is believed to have taken part in the 1998 attacks on U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania. He is also believed to have orchestrated the 2002 bombing of a resort hotel in Mombasa, Kenya, and a failed missile attack on an Israeli airliner leaving Mombasa airport.

Several sources tell ABC News at least one U.S. helicopter fired on a convoy carrying suspected al Qaeda targets in southern Somalia. An American official says a U.S. Navy ship was also nearby to monitor the situation and provide assistance if needed.

Ali Nabhan's death has not yet been officially confirmed, but sources tell ABC News that his body is now in U.S. custody.

Ali Nabhan, a 28-year-old Kenyan, is on the FBI's most wanted list for terrorist activities such as the resort and missile attacks as well as participation in the 1998 attack on the U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
One less terrorist.

How long will it be before somebody else takes his place?

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
One less terrorist.

How long will it be before somebody else takes his place?

Already done!

Somebody is gaining power by plotting vengeance over this strike as I type! Let's hope it is some radical teenager, and not a CIA trained counter operative like Bin Laden!

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Excellent news. Many people don't know it, but our first real battle against AQ was in Mogadishu under Clinton. Its definitely one of the Islamic extremist hot spots. Good call Obama.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Excellent job from our soldiers and President Obama.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Good news that they found him..but as others said here, who willt ake his place? Ide imagine, in any organized group of people, thier are successors , like hitler, someone placed in charge, incase the leader is dead, and so on and so on. Seems ike we will be in a constant state of war then: (

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I posted this earlier and didn't get much response. What I am wondering is if this could have had anything to do with the raid in NY today. There is a thread about that on ATS. Anybody know if there's a connection? I haven't found anything yet.

I_R

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   
That was a risky move by the US government. I am hoping that it will not backfire on the US. Last time we went into that country it ended in diseaster. So the next move will be on Al Qaeda, and I am hoping that this will make Al Qaeda think before acting. My main concern is that there is something about the whole war on Terrorism that is nagging me as well as does not add up. (Apart from the fact we have not gotten Bin Laden). Not sure but will keep watching.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
You know that a lot of Al Qaeda leaders must wonder when they go to sleep at night if they will survive the next day or week.

Good jobs like this by are military will help them have another bad nightmare.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Lovely to see people gloating over extra-judicial murder.

2nd line.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by rich23

Imagine that you are at war. Would you call every death of enemy troops that happens an ex-judicial murder? There is no court and no judge.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Take'em out one at a time. Let'em know they aren't safe anywhere.

Keep them looking over their shoulder expecting a Hellfire missile or
some Special Forces taking them out.

hosted.ap.org...

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Sabhan is dead but it is really counter productive.. perhaps he was a hero to the somalis... which makes him a matyr and a rallying cry.. militarily it does nothing in somalia...

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Originally posted by rich23

Imagine that you are at war. Would you call every death of enemy troops that happens an ex-judicial murder? There is no court and no judge.

Imagine you're sitting at home and an unmanned drone shoots up your house.

Imagine you're in an imaginary war with enemies provided by your own security services. Imagine Bin Laden being dead for years but nobody tells you because he's the Colonel Sanders of the terror franchise.

The trouble with a lot of Americans is that they're so eager to believe every lie their government tells them. And they think this is "news".

top topics

join