It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gel Heals Injured Brain and Bone

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+17 more 
posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Gel Heals Injured Brain and Bone

dsc.discovery.com

Sept. 14, 2009 -- Scrambled brains and broken bones can both be healed with a new nanoparticle-infused hydrogel.

Developed by scientists from Clemson University, the gel creates new blood vessels and later encourages the body's own stem cells to replace dead bone or brain cells.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Twelve weeks after a devastating brain injury some test rats had recovered almost all of their original muscle and sensory functions.

Healing damaged brains, WOW! This is huge, or will be if/when it is used in real medical settings.

"Normally the bone would never heal" from that wound that severe," said Zhang.

"But in our studies the bone healed in a couple of weeks."

Again, just amazing!

Any medical experts here on ATS want to chime in with your thoughts?

Enjoy!

dsc.discovery.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Holy crap! This is the biggest thing since penicillin (or it might be)! I really hope there is something to this. The implications are massive! MASSIVE!

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Fantastic development - GREAT FIND!

Let's hope it isn't screwed up by bug Pharma or some such greed-based institution....

This could represent a true 21st advance in medical technology.

We really need one....

Seems like every time they make an interesting discovery it goes underground or simply vanishes into the woodwork.

Starred and Flagged

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Yeah that is truly amazing! I wonder if something similar could lead on to regrowth of other structures? Organs, limbs, nerve pathways?

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
That is very exciting!! Since it was discovered at the University Level and Published in journals, Big Pharma won't be able to completely squash it! The FDA might, but at least Europe and Canada will have access!

Here at FSU, we have some exciting science going on building "lattice" structures using nanoparticle assembly, as a precursor to "engineering" new organs and such. There has been some good success in producing heart tissue, and repairing valves and walls!

The next 10 to 20 years in medicine are going to be revolutionary!! My parents are in their mid 50's, and their is a good chance the science will outpace their aging so that they are living a similar quality of life still in their 70's!! (Crosses fingers!)

Star and Flag Aggie!!

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

That's simply amazing. It seems like this could do very amazing things for patients that suffered head trauma.

Could it also be used to treat a disease such as Alzheimer's?

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
pretty exciting stuff. the medical applications of this technology a few years down the road sohuld be pretty awesome.
but liek all technlogy, it wil be weaponized somehow and for all teh good ti will do, teh effects of this stuff in the wrong hands would be devestating.,

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars

Let's hope it isn't screwed up by bug Pharma or some such greed-based institution....

This was developed by a greed based organization.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I have to wonder what else they might apply this substance to. Such as ancient DNA of dinosaurs etc.

Imagine if this was also used to destroy personality/mental disorders ( lobotomy) and than repair these peoples brains and build new personalities. Makes me think of Dr. Moreau and Jurassic park. Endless possibilites. " IT'S ALIVE!!"

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
this sounds amazing, after having radiotherapy 7 years ago for a Brain tumor, i could definately do with this gel, as the necrosis caused by the radiation continues to this day.

+10 more 
posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Aids in growth of brains and bones, huh? I suggest they begin testing this on the president, Congress, and the Senate ASAP. Maybe they'll all grow brains and spines!

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
sounds like gunshot wounds to the head or coma's and people in a vegtable state will be a thing of the past

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Available for very rich people by 2010 1st quarter. "Healing the elite since 2010" -Big pharma.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Aids in growth of brains and bones, huh? I suggest they begin testing this on the president, Congress, and the Senate ASAP. Maybe they'll all grow brains and spines!

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

Originally posted by Maxmars

This was developed by a greed based organization.

Yeah, Clemson University... what was I thinking?

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Interesting experiment. This will be an important breakthrough if it tests well. The animal experimentation is distasteful though.

I wonder if it might be able to fix teeth.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by DjSharperimage

possibly. but it wont return any memories stored on the destroyed neurons. imagine waking up after an accident, after having this gel restored the damaged tissues, seeing a cute lady standing next to you and having no idea she's your wife, or any recollection of your children. some would say that's a hell not worth living....food for thought

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
this is just great

i wonder if it will do anything for those who are in a coma for a long time

i have a friend who is in a coma for three years now after an accident.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   
That is amazing, even if only in rats so far. The brain is an organ that we actually know very little about. I have heard coma patients coming to after years (I think the longest was 20 yrs.), and I have heard of a fractured spine healing itself with 100% function. Even if this gel simply creates a structure so the brain can heal itself, it is fantastic. They didn't get too technical in the article other than the gel provides a structure that allows for blood vessels to regenerate and it searches for stem cells that can be transported to the area they are needed. Fantastic.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join