It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Children hand-rear Lamb, only for it to be slaughtered

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
It's made of animals!

Oh my god!

Meat is made of animals!

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX
I'm glad my kids don't think that meat comes from the supermarket wrapped in shiney plastic, some day they might need to live in the real world of having to do this themselves.
[edit on 14/9/09 by CX]

This. In a recent letter to the editor, I had the (dis)pleasure of reading a letter from a woman, chastising hunters. Her complaint was that they were extremely selfish for hunting animals for meat and instead should get their meat from the supermarket "WHERE NO ANIMALS ARE HURT". Yes, the author of the letter said that.

Edit: Just wanted to edit to give credit to SheaWolf for making the exact point I did before me

[edit on 14-9-2009 by BriggsBU]

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
its no more or less offensive than eating meat froma store.
both are equally disgusting and cruel.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   
The lame duck children voted 13-1 to send the goat to slaughter in the first place so I guess they didn't care for it regardless.

Maybe we should have a group of children tend to a baby for 12 months and then have a vote on whether to euthanize it or not.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Reminds me of the big Livestock Show & Rodeo in Houston, Texas... Lasts a couple of weeks every spring, millions of people attend, lot of music, big C&W stars perform, champion rodeo riders compete, etc. People from all over the country bring in their prize livestock for judging, and the culmination of this whole event is when they award the Grand Prize for the champion steer.

This is no small award, either. The owner of the prize steer gets something like $50,000 dollars, and then they immediately auction off the steer, which can go for $150,000 or more to the high bidder.

However, I stopped attending this huge rodeo long ago, following one despicable incident.

Goes like this: A 12-year-old kid won the Grand Prize in the Champion Steer competition. Yeah, the kid had raised this beautiful red bull for maybe 3 or 4 years, had maintained it and groomed it to be a champion. What an accomplishment for a 12-year-old, right?

So the kid won the $50K Grand Prize, and then the bull sold for an additional $150K to some big Texas oil tycoon. So this kid went home with $200,000.

Couple of days later on a Houston news show, they showed this sonofabitch oil tycoon throwing a big barbecue, COOKING the champion steer and serving it to his rich redneck, beer-bellied guests.

THEN they did a little interview with the kid who raised this bull from a calf, asking how it felt to win all that money, and the kid broke down crying, said he'd give back every penny if he could just have his bull back home.

That made me sick to my stomach. Takes a lot to sicken me, but that made me sick.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ROBL240
We only have the word of the school that the children voted for the animals slaughter. And who's not to say they werent told some mystical story about how it was going to a "better place", leading them with false beliefs.

Oh you can bet they were told it would be a better place, Mutton is a common meal in the UK.

The belly of those kids who raised the lamb (read livestock) to maturity is a much better place for that lamb!!

Only wish I had gotten a plate

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

You cannot use the terms "bull" and "steer" interchangeably.

I doubt a steer gets sold for $150k. And bulls which are sold for those prices are not generally eaten, they have a higher purpose.

[edit on 9/14/2009 by Phage]

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
You cannot use the terms "bull" and "steer" interchangeably.

And yet I did.

I doubt a steer gets sold for $150k. And bulls which are sold for those prices are not generally eaten, they have a higher purpose.

The Champions sell for $150K easily at the Houston show, look it up. And the one I mentioned was eaten. It was a disgusting waste.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   

I doubt a steer gets sold for $150k.

By the way, $150K was the auction price of the Grand Champion Steer many, many years ago. This year, the Grand Champion Steer sold for $300,000.

Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo

Go to that link, look under the Livestock Show tab, select Auction & Sales, select Champion Auction Buyers, and take a look at what Grand Champions sell for these days.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 9/15/2009 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   

But which was it? A bull or a steer?
In the story, I mean. Steers are meant to be eaten.

[edit on 9/15/2009 by Phage]

[edit on 9/15/2009 by Phage]

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 12:21 AM
link   

But which was it? A bull or a steer?
In the story, I mean. Steers are meant to be eaten.

It was the Grand Champion Steer. If it's meant to be eaten, that's a goddamned expensive meal.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 12:21 AM
link   
While I eat and enjoy meat frequently (although Im not keen on lamb or veal for that matter), i personally could not raise something such as a lamb or chicken, only to have to kill it for a meal later.

I guess the kids these days are less sensitive to such issues, or maybe they had 13 kids that were already used to slaughtering animals for consumption before hand. Still, I dont know how people could hand raise animals and then eat them.....I just get attached to easy I guess

[edit on 15/9/2009 by OzWeatherman]

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Ok, the Houston show is a charitable event. Charity=silly auction prices.

What else do you do with a steer? Take it for walks? Play fetch?

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   

What else do you do with a steer? Take it for walks? Play fetch?

No, I'm not a PETA freak. I've killed and eaten animals, and I've raised animals to eat. No big deal. But if I was a big fat tycoon with a jillion dollars and I laid down $150K or $300K for a prize animal, I'd take that expensive sonofabitch out to my lab and clone the hell out of him, until I had a whole herd of prize beef, right?

What is the purpose of buying an animal, paying an extraordinary price for it, and then barbecuing the bastard?? That's like, hey, I'm rich, I'll buy a Mazarati, then I'll drive it into a brick wall.

WHAT a WASTE.

Meanwhile, that 12-year-old kid was having second thoughts about his steer. Like, maybe he'd grown up with the animal (at least for four years or so, which is a third of this kid's entire life), and he feels a little sick seeing some rich, fat redneck choffing down on his bovine buddy. The kid broke into tears.

It was the sensational news coverage of that barbecue, juxtaposed with the interview of the crying kid, that turned me off to the Houston rodeo.

I mean, I still go to rodeos and livestock auctions, and I know those people mean business, they aren't in the business for their health. I was a 4H kid myself, and I know these kids are told the truth about agriculture. Animal husbandry, disease detection and treatment and prevention, et cetera... The kids know that many of these animals they're raising are going to slaughter. They even give the kids a tour of the slaughterhouse. My 4H did.

So, you would think the kids are tougher. They can take it... But it's just that one image of that tough little 12-year-old with $200,000 in his bank account, suddenly breaking into tears because the fat rednecks were gulping and gorping and eating his friend.

It betrays the indoctrination.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 9/16/2009 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Texas gazillionaire with an ego? You think?

Cloning, now that's an interesting idea still, a little bit goes a long way. Freeze what you need and eat the rest!

I get your point about the kid's sensitivity to the TV coverage, but don't you think that all the prize steers end up on the table, no matter what the price was?

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Yeah here in California they have the annual fair and each person raises their pig to become as plump as possible to win a medal and 500$ just for it to be slaughtered and consumed. Do note there is like at least 20-30 contestants each time, and all 20-30 pigs are brutally murdered.

Life's a pain.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 01:31 AM
link   
glass abbatoirs sohuld be mandatory.
take the guess work out of your meal!

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Cloning, now that's an interesting idea still, a little bit goes a long way. Freeze what you need and eat the rest!

Actually, cloning on the scale that I envision is entirely possible right now. Look at how much money these clowns like Jim McIngvale spend on livestock. The Grand Champion Steer sold for $300,000.

A Steer is a Bull with NO testicles.
It cannot reproduce. Price: $300K K-ching!
It must be a taste sensation, because this bastard is not a work animal.
But three hundred thousand dollars???

Solution?

CLONE

Feeding the world with one big STEAK.

I'll take a little horseradish with mine...

— Doc Velocity

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:26 AM
link   

I meant it only takes cells to create clones. You can use the "icky" ones to make all the clones you could ever want and still have plenty to eat.

Like I said, charity auctions are pretty much ego fed pissing matches, "Look how rich I am! I buy steaks at $600 a pound! And it's for a good cause.". (Did they eat the $300k one too?)

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:52 AM
link   

(Did they eat the $300k one too?)

I exerted only a moderate amount of energy searching up the fate of our fatted steer:
The $300,000 Steer Has A Blog

The world is going exactly where I predicted it would go....

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 9/16/2009 by Doc Velocity]

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join