It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I would enjoy seeing the age groups of

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 04:56 AM
link   
The individuals that start threads, I've done a few dumb threads but, I see things from time to time that might be avoided perhaps knowing the "life experience" of the individual. Thats not to say because your not my age you don't have a clue but it might steer a few away from some of the most silly waste of time topic's I've viewed of late. I enjoy tech and science and am no expert on either.....I read all regarding my country...But I gotta tell ya as a simple man I would love it if you folks here could put a age on the tread starters. The ones that seem to waste my extra time all seem like there simply playing a game and are very young. Love all you young folk.....but...I get enough noise from my son. I work with many that have not life experience and have to simply dumb down to work with them. I've raised two son's and have dealt with ignorance all my life(mostly mine). But this site is precious and needs to be protected and supported...time to fix a few things guys. I hope it's not to late.

My warmest regards,

Enigmalone

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Im pretty sure ATS doesn't care much anymore about the content and quality of threads. I saw a recent thread where a member was looking for advice about getting a vasectomy, posted in the medical conspiracy forum. He could have easily gotten much more informative information from a Doctor forum or medical website, than the unqualified individuals who prowl ATS. Yet I am sure he was well over 35. 5 years ago I highly doubt this would have been allowed. This is partly why I havn't created any meaningful threads on ATS in over 2 years now.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 05:11 AM
link   
How old are you?

I'm 62 and you sound like my grandparents did when I was a child.

What's that old saying? "Children are to be seen and not heard".

I totally disagree.

There is not one day that passes that a young person does not come to my home to sit and talk. I welcome them, listen to them and fill them with iced tea and cookies.

They are hungry and thirsty for an ear they can bend. Their parents are too busy or just plain not good to talk with.

Growing up is hard to do. Hopefully I can be of some help to young people and steer them the right way in life.

Keep talking young people. I love you. You are our future and it's coming quickly.

I say NO to limits concering age of thread makers.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Im 25 and although Ive been into conspirational theories since I was a young teen there hasnt been anywhere I found to express my opinions or read others from until I found ATS.
I was always the kid at school sat in the corner during lunch break reading books about the first Nuclear weapons tests, Lee Harvey Oswald and Area 51 etc.
Sine I joined a year ago I cant really say who's nuts and who has a strong argument because to me everyones voice matters just as much, you just have to see past the obvious trolls who try to derail topics or this site with needless threads. But it shouldnt have to affect to you personally the fact that out of thousands of users, only one has to make it bad, dont let them get to you.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Vipassana

OH, because you think there have been few good threads you have decided not to start any good threads also.

That sir, is ridiculous. You have become part of the problem and not the answer.

Why don't you show us all how to create a good thread. Educate the young and old?

I implore you to help bring up the condition of what some people think ATS has gone to.

Can you do it?

Come on man, let's have a decent thread from you this very day.

I am waiting with bated breath for your thread.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Vipassana

I have to disagree with you my fellow ats'r, age has nothing to do with the content of threads, much like a tradesman has to endure roughly 4 years as an apprentice, i see it fit in this case. as time goes by, members learn how to conjour threads in a way that is more user friendly and appealing the reader. Those who have been short term member , yet possess this skill, have the skill already via schooling or interests due to hobbies.

Having an age wont make a lick of difference, but perhaps only give others an excuse to demoralise the OP due to age etc,

I like your question, valid, though no star nor flag from me.

* btw, Vipassana, this post wasnt directed at you, more the OP, i just selected reply too quickly without thought. Take care.

[edit on 14/9/2009 by scubagravy]

[edit on 14/9/2009 by scubagravy]

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 05:52 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Need I say more then a simple click at the bottom of the page?

Second line

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

That was 2 years ago.... I think it would be interesting to compare that with today's membership.

Cheers for that though.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Well done Rep, i would never have thought to look for that, tis what i love about ATS, it has its elders, respect that, grow from there, im a bit surprised that my age group (31), isnt more represented, i have to agree with BlupBlup, lets have a new Survey!!! Mods!!!!

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

That was 2 years ago.... I think it would be interesting to compare that with today's membership.

Cheers for that though.

Bark bark bark bark bark

Yep been barking up that tree for awhile. lol.

Doesn't seem to happen, I wish it would but, that's what we've got to go off of.

And until then, eventually this thread will be lost in an abyss or trashed for need of put in a U2U to the Mods in the input section.

BTW the best ATSers have been the youngest from the ones i've come across, the ones with knowledge that make me wonder odd thoughts!!

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Also to add:

If someone 15 does a thread, and everyone knows that their fifteen noone will give it credit, and disregard it.

Now if someone 65 does, noone will give it credit because their old farts lol

Age prescribes discrimination.

It's harsh, but it does. Ive said miniscule things that pissed people off, in a way I thought non offensive, people get upset.

Just wish Content and not Person were discussed here IMHO.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   
If someone starts a good thread, I don't care if they are 15 or 55.

I also don't assume that the person who is older will automatically make better threads or better posts.

As for "bad" or time-wasting threads, I think a person of 55 is equally capable of creating such a thread as a 15 year old.

So I'm fine with it the way it is, let us judge by the quality of content and not by age. (though I do admit to being curious about the writer's age at times, I'd rather avoid the opportunity to be biased by that information).

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur
If someone starts a good thread, I don't care if they are 15 or 55.

I also don't assume that the person who is older will automatically make better threads or better posts.

As for "bad" or time-wasting threads, I think a person of 55 is equally capable of creating such a thread as a 15 year old.

So I'm fine with it the way it is, let us judge by the quality of content and not by age. (though I do admit to being curious about the writer's age at times, I'd rather avoid the opportunity to be biased by that information).

Agreed!

I've seen people U2U me of years younger, and my suck amazes me!

lol.

I always though, always, in my threads or posts, put on another persons shoes, it's their shoes that matter, not my own!

Single fact, what is their eyes seeing.

And why don't I sse it, or what am I missing.

Is what I need to get at all ltimes, till I die.

Fact of life, UNDERSTANDING.

Bias is for newspapers ATS is for discussion!

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Considering that age or date of birth is not required to join ATS, I don't see how that could be done, most people do not even write their date of birth on their profile, if they were forced to do it to join ATS that would create a new conspiracy.

And age is not a direct measure of quality (or lack of quality) and would be only used as a way of ignoring people or for people to attack the poster just because he/she was too young or too old (although I think that would happen more with older people against younger).

Although I do not consider myself old yet (46), I am old enough to be father of some of the best ATS posters (including Mods and FSMEs), so I don't think that would be useful in any any.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I think that an individual's opinion on a particular subject is a good indicator of age.

For example - I'm guessing that the anti-Israel posters (of which we have a LOT) are mostly in their mid to late twenties.

Whereas 9/11 truthers are mostly in vitro

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I feel you on this one, ... as I mentioned before, ... a good way to express our age, or experience would be to color code our names.

Sometimes I feel like I'm reading a research paper for Special Ed that didnt make it.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Well I am 23....Just so you know.

I too have wondered the age groups here, but not for the reasons mentioned in your OP. I do not think ignorance is biased towards age.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Quality of a thread is in the eye of the beholder....er, reader. Period. And age has no bearing on quality of a thread. Trust me on that

[edit on September 14th 2009 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by IntastellaBurst

Just in case you haven't noticed, your avatar image is too big for the allotted space, does that mean anything about your age?

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
Quality of a thread is in the eye of the beholder....er, reader.

True, however, I am curious how some people gauge the quality. Disregarding the actual topic, what aspects of a particular thread make it more enticing to join? I know a sensational title attracts readers, but retaining them is quite another thing. Do some look at the flags and stars and join based on that alone?

I have noticed that, with political discussions, the most partisan, 'attack' threads seem to be the most popular. I guess some are just looking for a fight, and it gets really old.

In response to the OP: I know that, at times, the general age of a poster is easily discernible. I, actually, enjoy reading them and gaining insight into what our future holds.

[edit on 14-9-2009 by WTFover]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join