It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All Free Library of Philadelphia Branch, Regional and Central Libraries Closed Effective Close of Bu

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 03:20 AM
link   

All Free Library of Philadelphia Customers,

We deeply regret to inform you that without the necessary budgetary legislation by the State Legislature in Harrisburg, the City of Philadelphia will not have the funds to operate our neighborhood branch libraries, regional libraries, or the Parkway Central Library after October 2, 2009.

Specifically, the following will take effect after the close of business, October 2, 2009:

All branch and regional library programs, including programs for children and teens, after school programs, computer classes, and programs for adults, will be cancelled
All Parkway Central Library programs, including children programs, programs to support small businesses and job seekers, computer classes and after school programs, will be cancelled. We are exploring the possibility of relocating the Philadelphia Author Series programs to other non-library facilities.
All library visits to schools, day care centers, senior centers and other community centers will cease.
All community meetings at our branch and regional libraries, and the Parkway Central Library, will be cancelled.
All GED, ABE and ESL programs held at Free Library branches will be discontinued, students should contact their teacher to see if other arrangements are being made.

libwww.freelibrary.org...
Imo this is sad I wonder how this will affect students or if will affect them at all. What about after school programs held at the libraries? What are the kids to do now? I mean really close all the libraries? What about the jobs they created.

Oh and what about people that depend on libraries for the internet?
Do you fine people of ATS think that libraries will become things of the past?

[edit on 14-9-2009 by ashnomadonte]

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 06:46 AM
link   
I am bumping this because I feel it is important to do something about this. and to stop this from going down in your home town.

join