It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here's what I'm stocking up on, How about you?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by trig_grl

Thanks for the video. That's pretty cool. If you see at the end of the clip, he shows a jerry can system. It's now available for $400 and makes 20000 liters of water. Could be a great SHTF item unless the water supply gets nuked.

www.lifesaversystems.com...

[edit on 24-9-2009 by WickettheRabbit]

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by I_am_Spartacus

yea eggs are not a dairy product, they are a protein. They are sold with the other cold things, yes some dairy becuase they need to stay chilled. And vegans do not eat them becuase they are a bi=product of chickens, but vegetarians eat them just fine...

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by WickettheRabbit

ghee is great for long term storage, however as with most things, once the can is opened it can go bad and get kind of rancid. If storing it for survival, I'd stock up the smaller cans. When heated, ghee becomes like oil and be used to fry foods. It can also be mixed into dry ingredients to substitute lard or butter.

ghee can also be used to provide light, during the Hindu festival of Diwali, we spoon a tablespoon or two into little clay pots, make wicks out of cotton wool and light them. They will burn for several hours as long as you keep the flame protected and refill the ghee as it burns off.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I personally am stock piling barter goods besides the stuff I need to survive and prosper.

I have a question I am of two very different minds on using ammo as a trade good. I feel that it will be very valuable shortly when it is not available, but I'm not sure I want to trade ammo to someone who may be desperate enough in a few more days to try and use it to take what I have.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by exile1981

Paranoia is going to be rampant if something does happen. You won't be alone in not trusting anyone. Throw a little paranoia on top of a bad situation and it turns explosive very quickly.

There is no good way of making a trade with a stranger.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jesus H Christ
reply to post by Mortimer452

This is great and exactly what I had in mind. Thanks for all of the great tips. I will remember them next time I go shopping. I do nedd to stock up on bleach. I forgot about that one.

I have a wife and four kids so there really is no such thing as stocking up too much. Ramen noodles are practically free these days and rice is very cheap too. I paid $14 for a 50 lb bag. That is alot of food when you are hungry. No one has an excuse to go hungry when TSHTF. But we can only prepare soo much. Eventually it will run out.

Also great idea about getting some hens. Would I need a rooster too. I have threatened to get some chickens for a while now. Thanks for reminding me. I just wonder how the dogs will take to them.

[edit on 14-9-2009 by Jesus H Christ]

I have raised chickens before. The most I had were about 12 hens. You don't need a rooster for the eggs unless you just want one, and you want to raise chicks yourself.

I had a fenced yard, and my dog really didn't pay them much attention. I let the hens out in the yard everyday when I got home from work, and they would automatically go back in the pen around dark-thirty.The yard feeding saves money on feed, and keeps the bugs down in your yard. They will get in a flower bed though, so it must be fenced.

On average, the 10 hens would give about 7-9 eggs a day. They do go through a moulting period where they loose some feathers, and stop laying , but the egg production is fairly steady. When they reach their usefull laying life, give them away, or kill them and eat them.

Chickens will eat anything, and can eat an entire pile of grass clippings in no time. They need a steady supply of water, and some oyster shells or gravel for their craw, so they can digest their food.

Hope this helps on the info for chickens.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jesus H Christ
reply to post by Mortimer452

This is great and exactly what I had in mind. Thanks for all of the great tips. I will remember them next time I go shopping. I do nedd to stock up on bleach. I forgot about that one.

I have a wife and four kids so there really is no such thing as stocking up too much. Ramen noodles are practically free these days and rice is very cheap too. I paid $14 for a 50 lb bag. That is alot of food when you are hungry. No one has an excuse to go hungry when TSHTF. But we can only prepare soo much. Eventually it will run out.

Also great idea about getting some hens. Would I need a rooster too. I have threatened to get some chickens for a while now. Thanks for reminding me. I just wonder how the dogs will take to them.

[edit on 14-9-2009 by Jesus H Christ]

I have raised chickens before. The most I had were about 12 hens. You don't need a rooster for the eggs unless you just want one, and you want to raise chicks yourself.

I had a fenced yard, and my dog really didn't pay them much attention. I let the hens out in the yard everyday when I got home from work, and they would automatically go back in the pen around dark-thirty.The yard feeding saves money on feed, and keeps the bugs down in your yard. They will get in a flower bed though, so it must be fenced.

On average, the 10 hens would give about 7-9 eggs a day. They do go through a moulting period where they loose some feathers, and stop laying , but the egg production is fairly steady. When they reach their usefull laying life, give them away, or kill them and eat them.

Chickens will eat anything, and can eat an entire pile of grass clippings in no time. They need a steady supply of water, and some oyster shells or gravel for their craw, so they can digest their food.

Hope this helps on the info for chickens.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Jesus H Christ

I've learned 'canning' from someone who's done it since she was a kid. It's extemely valuable for food preservation and cuts costs down considerably from buying canned goods.

I've also learned that liquid chlorine bleach breaks down rather quickly, so stockpiling it is a waste. Instead, I read an article which describes how to use granular (pool shock) to make gallons of bleach as needed, meanwhile it saves you the weight of full liquid gallon jugs and a one pound package can make 15,000 gal of bleach.

I could go on and on about the things I've learned over the years (which I get to test out usually once every year during hurricane season), but instead just head over to my Survival website and read for yourself.

I'm also a very experience camper (my camping style isn't high-tech, but rather roughin it)...although I will admit the last 2 trips I went on I brought a portable solar pack and my laptop with a mobile broadband connector and enjoyed internet in the woods

As for buying 'batteries' the only kind I'd suggest is rechargeable so you can re-use them over and over. Simply use a 12V inverter which you can get at walmart for $30 to plug your battery charger (110V) in your car, then presto! Ya got re-usable power.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
A large can of beans and a large can of corn?

What are you going to do eat them all after you open them?

Thought it out real well have you?

They sell DRIED beans,you know.

Did you include a can opener in your bug out bag?

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   

If it were me i would get a big bag of dried dog food -if they can eat it so can we , i learned that from an old guy that lived in his truck 40 years ago ,but now i am to old for with out my meds i would`nt last a month so good luck to the young people

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

I'm new to this post. your bread receipt sounds great. I will have to try it. I'm used to using a bread machine, but this is even faster. I wonder how it would be using wheat flour. Or to make rasion bread. Have you tried these yet. Let me know as I would love to try it out. For now I think I will try your bread receipt as is. Really sounds great.
Thanks
Frog123

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by catamaran

what is the 16 peice brick oven? I'v not heard of this. I was thinking about buying a cast iron cooker for outdoor use. but would think about this if I knew what it is and how to make it. Please let me know. Thinks
Frog123

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

don't think I would have the guts to clean rabbits. but it might come to that. I don't see to much on storing water. but there is a thing called the water-bob. it is a 10 mil food grade plastic bag to put in the bathtub with a tube to place over the faucet for holding about 100 gals of water. it also comes with a siphon pump. you can find it at survival cache.com. I think that is the web site. I haven't bought one yet. but I'm sure looking into getting one soon.
also for a list of non food items, besides tolet paper, paper towels hand sanitizer, baby wipes are great for cleaning up to save on water.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
The things you have listed are great.

But don't forget to stock up on things you can barter:

Salt, Liquor, Beer, Honey, Books, matches, toilet paper, etc.

Make sure you have plenty of ammo as well. Trapping skills are handy, but your safety is more important. I have a gun I will use to hunt with and a gun I will use for protection. I have roughly 1500 rounds for each gun right now.

Think toiletries.

Your teeth will become a major asset so keep them healthy. Toothpaste, mouthwash, toothbrushes, floss.
Soap, hand sanitizer.
Dawn dish detergent is always handy and can be used to wash your socks and clothing.
Pain medication like Tylenol or Aspirin can also be used for barter.
Nail clippers, razors.
Vitamins. Vitamins. Vitamins.

Here are a couple of my favorite websites for supplies and information:

lds.about.com...

beprepared.com...

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by calcoastseeker

I to have heard bleach breaks down over time an that the best thing is Hth super sock it pool shock but to make sure it only has calcium hyrocloride. the instructions are to make in bleach containers one heaping teaspoon to 2 gals. of water for purifying water. Have you heard this also?

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I picked up a suture set and surgical set (one of my close friend's wife is a surgeon), he's stocking up but she doesn't know he is.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
In case of loss of electricty, you could invest in a few 12volt deep cycle marine batteries, a large solar panel & regulator, and a good DC/AC power inverter. You can get all of the above items for about $750 and have the ability to operate lights, room fans, small microwaves, radios, small water pumps, etc.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Anyone know of the copper-vinegar method to create electricity. I've heard of it existing in the ancient world, but haven't read anything practical for use today.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ClapOnKyle

If I was wanting to make my own non rechargeable “primary” battery, I would go with a gravity cell.

en.wikipedia.org...
electronics.howstuffworks.com...

For making your own gravity cells, I would stock up on several 5 gallon buckets of copper sulfate crystals. The type used in ponds. I would get a small quantity of zinc sulfate. A gallon of dry crystals or so. And a roll of copper foil. I would buy a crap load of zinc blocks. And a bunch of big glass jars.

To make the cell. Take a strip of copper cut out to lay in the bottom of the jar. Connect it to an insulated wire. Put it in the bottom of the jar with the wire running out the top. Fill the jar most of the way with a copper sulfate solution (sulfate crystals mixed with water). Fill the last couple inches with a zinc sulfate solution. Hang the zinc block in the top part.

As the gravity cell is used. The copper sulfate will deposit copper on the bottom. The sulfate half of the copper sulfate will go to the top and strip atoms off the zinc block to form zinc sulfate.

As the chemical reaction continues, the dividing line between the zinc/copper sulfate will slowly go down until zinc sulfate almost fills the container. When there is almost no copper sulfate left, then you remove the zinc sulfate, refill with copper sulfate, and re add a little of the zinc sulfate to the top that you removed along with the zinc block.

You can continue to do that until you run out of zinc and copper sulfate. You produce metallic copper, and zinc sulfate. Gravity batteries are good for running constant load applications. Like clocks, or small transistor radios. You could also use them for running led lights.

If you don’t want to mess with all that stuff, then just get a bunch of zinc, a bunch of carbon rods, and a bunch of alkali solution. And porcelain jars. Put the zinc in with the carbon rod and fill with an alkali solution. You get a big form of a alkaline battery. It isn’t pretty, but it will run radios and stuff for as long as you can find the zinc and the alkali solution like.........

KOH, Potassium hydroxide/caustic potash is available at places that deal with soap and biodiesel production.

NaOH, Sodium hydroxide/lye is available at hardware stores as drain cleaner, at place that deal with soap making.

Use porcelain because the KOH and NaOH will slowly react with glass.

edit on 10-2-2011 by Mr Tranny because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Get what you eat on a daily basis, have canned goods...like corn, green beans, and carrots.
Have just add water products for baking breads/ pancakes.
Only get what you eat and like...why get things you dislike to eat when you need the energy the most?
Household supplies, cleaning, disinfecting, first aid equip.
The list could be a mile long go to google and type in..." the first 100 things to dissapear in a economic collapse"

You will get the point after you read that...its from a survivor of a collapse...so he lived through it.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join