It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here's what I'm stocking up on, How about you?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by hosnate
I work for a defense company. we make everything. in one of our news letters a few months back it stated that we had GPS that was so small that we could put it in paint. just something to think about.

That's really interesting. Really interesting.

Mot sure what it's got to do with this thread or maybe I'm being dumb.

Can you explain more please? (If it's relevant or if not start a new thread because it souds interesting).

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Another very small item for the medical kit is possibly a bottle of "Oil of Clove" It has come to the aid of many a person when toothache has struck and no dentists around!
Take care though, a little goes a long way.
It is VERY potent, one drop on/in the affected tooth is enough!
It doesn't taste great but it works!

[edit on 21/9/09 by wiser3]

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by MagicaRose

I just started canning myself.I have been making jellies and jams.
I have also been buying a lot of peanut butter,raisins,chocolate chips,
oatmeal.
The stores' that I've been buying my supplies from,don't sell,unbleached
flour! I have to find a store that sells that,unbleached all purpose flour.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by MagicaRose

Would you please share your recipe for canning butter? I would
appreciate it.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Thanks to everyone contributing. Again, this is exactly what I wanted this thread to turn into.

I will be procuring a .22 rifle today and ammo as well. Great for small game.

To all of you who are posting about canning, Where do you get the supplies? Is it hard to do? What would you can that you couldn't buy at the store? Sorry to sound so ignorant but this is an area where I am clueless.
I've always been intriged by canning food yourself but it just seems like such a pain.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
pressure cooker canning jars and prepaired food stuffs "cooked"
Is all you need for canning, !!!!!BE CAREFULL with pressure cooker !!!!!
If not you are not familiar with one!
PS don't can .22 rounds
sorry could't resist LOL

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jesus H Christ

We have all seen the many threads on what to put in our Bug Out Bags and I have successful built one hell of a B.O.B. because of ALOT of useful information/tips from fellow survivalists on ATS.

So now I am interested in the necessities at home. Let's say that we don't need to "bug out". We are able to stay put because the gestapo hasn't kicked down our door just yet. We may have electricity we may not. I for one wouldn't count on it.

So here is where I have started.

75 lbs of white rice from Costco.
50 lbs of flour.
several huge cans of baked beans
several huge cans of corn
I lost count of how many 12 packs of Ramen noodles. Let's say 20 12 packs.
Probably 50 cans of Spam.
A pound of salt and pepper.
5 lbs of pancake batter. add water.
A water filter to dip into a puddle or river and get clean safe water.
Huge container of syrup
Lots of peanut butter
A couple gallons of vegetable oil.
5 lbs of yeast (for baking bread)
I even went out and bought some wire and learned to make a snare. Catchin rabbbits in the front yard just for practice.

Ohh, and a Shotgun to protect it all.

And several other items. You get the point.

What I want is to collaborate with others to get some more ideas as to what to stock up on. I am convinced that the brown stuff will hit the fan very soon. We would all be wise to stock up.
Is there any amount of "Stocking Up" that is going to make you sleep better at night knowing you're covered??? When is enough enough???

Your thoughts???

[edit on 14-9-2009 by Jesus H Christ]

"Huge container of syrup" Do you really mean High Fructose Corn Syrup ??

Sorry could not help myself, but it dose have a shelf life of a thousand years... so it's good for your BOB..

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Jesus H Christ

I have bought some of my jars from grocery stores.I have seen them
at Big/Lots.You will need a copy of"Blue Book "canning.
I started out by making jelly from frozen juice.I also make jelly from
bottled juice and add fresh fruit to it.This type of canning uses a water
bath canner.
I want to start canning meats and vegetables next.This type of canning
requires a pressure canner.
You can check out thrift stores,yard sales,maybe an older relative who
used to can.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Such a great thread!

Another thing to keep in mind is: SEWING supplies! (Needles, threads of all kinds, buttons, etc).

Sewing is a VERY important skill, and sadly enough the majority of people now a days have no clue how to stitch even a simple seam or attach a button. I started sewing at 10 years old, and I am the ONLY one around that knows how to sew!

Especially if you have children, and even if you're a MAN, learn to sew a bit! In a long-term situation, children grow and need more suitable clothing -- and holes/tears happen when you're in the wild!

Sewing skills could also save lives when using medical grade threading to stitch up wounds! I doubt a doctor or nurse would be available to assist everyone in a situation like this..

Items are ESSENTIAL, but remember to upgrade your SKILLS too, as they are equally important and even life-saving!

On another note: I know its already been mentioned, but I really want to stress: BAKING SODA. Its not only a staple in baking, but personal/household cleaning and wound care as well. Have you ever read up on the many things baking soda can do? It even puts out fires nearly instantly! Its an amazing little item and very, very, very cheap!!

75 Extraordinary Uses for Baking Soda

- Mea

[edit on 21-9-2009 by Veritas Lux Mea]

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Veritas Lux Mea

I do have a sewing bag ready.
assorted sized needles,assorted colors of thread(large spools),several
pairs of scissors(the kind you hide from kids)measuring tapes,pins,thimble,
pin cushion,safety pins(assorted sizes)stitch ripper,hem gauge,embroidery
thread,hoops,maternity panels,elastic bands,snaps,buttons.
I don't have the size of needles for heavy sewing...like sewing canvas.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Everyone's had some really great suggestions on staples, storage and weaponry! I'd think if your able to hole up, comfort foods like candies/chips/spices/koolaide would be good for moral. Especially where children are concerned. In a stressful situation like that they will need something "normal". Diapers, if your kiddos are young enough. Personally, I'd go with flats, pins, wool longies/shorties or PUL wraps for ease of use/washing. Some mama cloth (feminine napkins), 15-18 per woman. The diapers and mama cloth would require washing, but where would you get rid of the disposables? They don't compost, would cause unsanitary conditions, and attract roaches. Also it would be worth the effort learning to dig a root cellar and outhouse. Formula, if you have a young infant and aren't nursing-though when shtf nursing would be easiest.
Of course all of these are items that it would be nice to have, not must haves. If you're already in your home, you should have plenty of blankets, clothing, toys, etc to keep everybody warm and boredom at bay.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Veritas Lux Mea

Thanks for the reminder. I am a man and while ever other guy was taking shop in HighSchool I was taking home economics.There were way more girls in that class.
. So, I know how to sew quite well but, I will take your advice and go shopping for a decent sewing kit tomorrow.

As far as baking soda, That is one more thing I forgot to mention. I have a 5 lb bag of arm and hammer, again, from Costco and I use the hell out of it. I need to get another one strictly for SHTF. It is great for adding to the washing machine. It gets those clothes so much cleaner.

I was thinking today of where I might find the old style washboard. I could just use my stomach
but that might start to hurt after a while.
Clean clothes are a must. It might take a little elbow grease and alot more time, but it CAN be done.

I picked up my .22 rifle today and am going to practice so small game hunting this weekend. Also, I am looking on craigslist in my area for unhatched chiken eggs. I am building a chicken coop this weekend as well and am planning on raising about 5 chickens. I will probably u2u those of you who posted earlier that you have experience in this. So, look out!!!

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   

I have bought, 2-17 gallon sized,galvinized tubs for washing.I found
an castiron clothes iron.You can go to Lehman's for washboards and
wringers.I haven't gotten the clothes wringer yet or the washboard.
You can also use a new toilet plunger for washing clothes as well.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

Yes I will.......Ill find it in the morning and post it.
Thanks for your interest.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

Do you know where I can buy the canning jars with lids that pop when they are sealed correctly?

I don't even know what they look like.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   

I'm going to make a bug out bag but what do I use to put all the stuff in? A pillow case?

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   

You have the basics to stay alive, as long as you have infinite water.

You might consider some barterable items like .22 ammo, whiskey in small bottles, feminine products, toiletries, cigs, drugs, junk silver coins, duct tape, tools, building materiels, nails, screws, bandaids, bullion cubes, bic lighters, matches, firewood.

There are lots of other things too, but that was a quick list of stuff a person might need.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Dont forget food dehydration!
If done properly it makes things edible for a loooong time!
Easier than canning and very cost effective!

My one recomendation? Seeds, seeds and more seeds!
Oh and more land to grow them on!

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Here is the link for canned butter.
Enjoy

!www.endtimesreport.com...

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by downtown436

You have the basics to stay alive, as long as you have infinite water.

You might consider some barter able items like .22 ammo, whiskey in small bottles, feminine products, toiletries, cigs, drugs, junk silver coins, duct tape, tools, building materiels, nails, screws, bandaids, bullion cubes, bic lighters, matches, firewood.

There are lots of other things too, but that was a quick list of stuff a person might need.

If I could star you twice I would.
That will be my next project, or side project. I am going to start stocking up on things that I may not necessarily need but I may be able to trade them for what I do need.

I often said that if we ever have to live in a bartering society because of the SHTF scenario, he who has the most cigarettes and whiskey is King. Imagine how many people would hand over a gallon of milk or a chicken for a pack of cigs or fifth of Jack.

As far as water goes I have a couple hand held water filters from Katadyne and they work great. I can literally drink from the toilet or a puddle if I need to. Not to mention rivers and creeks.

Now, speaking of water, we are trying to do some damage control on a plumbing leak in the house and are using a de-humidifier which works great. I turn it on at night and by morning we have a couple gallons of presumably clean water. That got me to thinking, assuming the power still works when the brown stuff hits, would this be a bad way to collect water?

Also, I was just at the grocery store buying lunch for my boys tomorrow for school and I couldn't resist the urge to buy some of those dehydrated mashed potatoes mentioned earlier in the thread when it hit me.
Popcorn!!! not the microwaveable kind(microwaves need electricity. But the kind mom used to make us when we were kids. A little oil in a frying pan and add some heat and away you go. The reason I say this is it is extremely cheap and presumably lasts forever. It may not taste great as a meal but it will keep you alive. and isn't that what it's all about?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join