It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here's what I'm stocking up on, How about you?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by SheaWolfIt's a toss up which is really better to have, glasses can be used for other purposes in a pinch, contacts, however are so much smaller and easier to pack. Breaking or losing either one could spell disaster.

But contacts are only lighter if you don't take into account the solution you'd have to carry around. You're going to run out eventually, and with the lack of sanitation you risk an eye infection. Glasses are good for as long as you don't break them.

I only have one pair of glasses :/ I don't even have prescription sunglasses.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by PrisonerOfSociety

You said all you needed was your knife, fire starter and inhaler. You didn't list clothing, tough guy.

Did you want to amend your list?

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by WickettheRabbit

Tough crowd; amended list as requested

My hunting knife, fire-starter flint, ventolin + wolly hat.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by PrisonerOfSociety

Well now you're making sense!
Never attempt to survive post-SHTF society without your hat.

Thanks for taking my comments with a light heart.

BTW - For modesty sake, you may want to grab a loin cloth too.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by WickettheRabbit

No need for modesty in a post-apocalyptic World. Breeding will be the number one priority to establish a New World; a loin cloth may slow down exacerbated copulation attempts.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Hello everyone, first timer here! I see a lot of great storage ideas here, I just didn't want anyone to forget the "feel good foods", you know, some brownie or cookie mix, pudding and candy bars will be all important in severely stressful times. It might be just those things that help keep your sanity.

Also consider whole grains, wheat, rye, barley etc. these things can be sprouted for additional nutrition as well as are the essential ingredients for bread and of course BEER!

Now that I mentioned sprouting, I'll elaborate on that a little, This should be at the top of the list of things to have. The sprouted seed or grain will fight off scurvy and other vitamin deficiency problems that you may encounter in long term isolation. Research and I thing you will be surprised at roll that sprouting played in the survival of civilization.

One more thing, don't forget the can opener:-)

Thanks for having me!

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Jesus H Christ

Yes, there's nothing wrong with canned foods - Long shelf life and if you keep the right ones, like vegetables, you've got a source of extra water. Canned fish good protein/size ratio. I would say if you're staying put canned food could be a real treasure.

You could even trade it - nobody's going to want your dollars.

I've been starting to store gallons of water (it doesn't go off as it's an element).

Rice and pasta - long shelf life - good carbs.

Something to go with rice and pasta it can be a bit dull by itself...

Canned vegetables, canned fish and meat.

Dehydrated potato and dehydrated egg and milk. Oil.

Drinks ingredients (cordial and hot drinks stuff like tea coffee hot chocolate) - a decent drink is always good for morale.

Probably a good idea to actually USE some of your store and replace it as you go along through daily life so that the old stock gets used and replenished.

Good thread.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Mortimer452

great advice, and I'll definitely remember to bring toilet paper along!

[edit on 20-9-2009 by ineverknew]

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Just purchased a handy field guide with color photos of all wild edible and medicinal plants for my area.
Also bought enough emergency blankets for every member of my family.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Well why would you even need all this stuff?
if something bad is going to happen surely you would wait to buy this stuff otherwise it would just be a waste of money really

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by emayarsh
Well why would you even need all this stuff?
if something bad is going to happen surely you would wait to buy this stuff otherwise it would just be a waste of money really

Are you being serious???

2nd Line... ... ... Are you being serious?!!!?

Sorry I had to come back and add more...

I think, emayarsh, that you perhaps need to have a good read of this site and how people are speculating that society may end up - possible collapse due to "financial collapse" and break down of society - possible collapse due to a BIG war, and then think about posting.

Please try to educate yourself.

All of the information is staring you in the face as long as you're prepared to listen.

If you spend some time learning and some money preparing maybe you won't consider it all a waste of time and money...

On the other hand maybe you'd rater blow your money chasing the american dream...

In which case you wouldn't be reading this forum.

Learn and Prepare.

[edit on 20-9-2009 by Stanton Dowd]

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by emayarsh

Well, I would suggest that you do just that my friend.

I however, will stock up and be prepared. The tips and hints provided on this thread alone has given me alot more to do to ensure that it will not be a waste. Food, when stored properly will feed your family for years to come, meanwhile there will be time to learn how to generate your own food to feed yourslef.

Like I said, I think you need to follow your heart and understanding. If you think it would be a waste then do nothing. Just make sure you don't show up at my door when tshtf or else we may be forced to "have" YOU for dinner.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Stanton Dowd

Excellent tips my friend. I had no idea that there was a such thing as dried eggs. I will look into it. Also, I will be stocking up on dried mashed potatoes.

I forgot to mention oatmeal. Plain ol' oatmeal. I have a 5 lb container of it from costco.oh, and plenty of soy sauce and hot sauce.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Already homesteading in a very rural area and been gettin' ready for a while. First off, your gonna be livin' like gran'daddy after about 6 months, so just go ahead and get ready for that.
-wood stove with extra duct pipe for replacing
-chainsaw with extra chains and gas just for saw
-canning jars and lids, learn to use them, and a canning pot
-heirloom seeds of all types good for your region and climate
-.22 rifle for small game. .223 rifle for killing, 12 guage shotgun for hunting and killing and lots of ammo
-axe, bush axe, nails, hand saw, sharpening stone, hammer, tarps + rope
-first four editions of Foxfire Books on mountain and ol'time living
-small livestock and chickens, and a means(seed corn, hay seed) to plant and feed them
-build a root cellar to store potatoes and root crops, makes a good bunker too
-alcohol, cider vinegar, aspirins...all in large amounts

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
When the gas runs put a few hand chainsaws shown here would be good to have.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   

I love your recipe for bread. I'm going to stock up on yeast.

Do you know what would be a good substitute for butter? I have a recipe for canning butter , I've even bought pint glass jars to Put it in BUT THIS WILL BE MY FIRST TIME CANNING AND i HOPE i DO IT RIGHT..LOL

I'm thinking with all the pasta and rice we will need something to put on for flavor.

I've almost filled 3 large plastic containers full of an assortment of food.
I'm planning for my daugter and her kids to be with us if the situation gets real bad.

by the way, I'm going to start canning things like left over chile and some fresh fruit when its on sale.

ONE IMPORTANT THING YOU SHOULD'NT FORGET TO BUY IS MATCHES.

[edit on 21-9-2009 by MagicaRose]

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I work for a defense company. we make everything. in one of our news letters a few months back it stated that we had GPS that was so small that we could put it in paint. just something to think about.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Question on Mylar bags.

Am I able to pour boiling water into the bag (like cooking quick oatmeal) or put the bag into boiling water without generating toxin?

Also anyone used foodsaver or seal a meal vacuum machine with mylar bags?

Thanks Guys!

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jesus H Christ
reply to post by legacyv

As opposed to my B.O.B. which I have ready and waiting should I nedd to get the F out of dodge, This would be a list of things to stock up on at home. We may not need to "Bug Out". We may just be s.o.l. when it comes to the grocery stores having food on the shelves. We may find our selves living at home with no water or electricity and no food on the shelves at the grocery store. Then What????

So I have started making preparations and would like some feedback as to what I'm missing.

Wild edible plants, there are laminated guides on amazon.com.

For winter look into snare wire, or a .22LR like a Ruger 10-22 to
hunt rabbit and squirrel or other small game.

Walnuts, Pecans, Chestnuts, Hickory nuts, etc etc.

Cache supplies at a cpl locations in a remote area.

Special forces has a book on caching, download it and check it out.

Good Luck to you all !

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by MagicaRose

ONE IMPORTANT THING YOU SHOULD'NT FORGET TO BUY IS MATCHES.

I think you'd be better off with some swedish firesteel that has 12,000
strikes in it.

Also you can use a magnifying glass on sunny days that will start
a fire as well.

If it is not raining dryer lint can be saved and makes good tinder and
is light as a feather.

If it is raining your gonna need some help as I recently experienced.

Add some kind of vaseline or something flammable to the mixture
and bring a good amount of it.

After your tender is gone you can find things in nature that make
good tinder like some parts of cattails.

Good Luck to you all !

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join