It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here's what I'm stocking up on, How about you?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   
We have all seen the many threads on what to put in our Bug Out Bags and I have successful built one hell of a B.O.B. because of ALOT of useful information/tips from fellow survivalists on ATS.

So now I am interested in the necessities at home. Let's say that we don't need to "bug out". We are able to stay put because the gestapo hasn't kicked down our door just yet. We may have electricity we may not. I for one wouldn't count on it.

So here is where I have started.

75 lbs of white rice from Costco.
50 lbs of flour.
several huge cans of baked beans
several huge cans of corn
I lost count of how many 12 packs of Ramen noodles. Let's say 20 12 packs.
Probably 50 cans of Spam.
A pound of salt and pepper.
5 lbs of pancake batter. add water.
A water filter to dip into a puddle or river and get clean safe water.
Huge container of syrup
Lots of peanut butter
A couple gallons of vegetable oil.
5 lbs of yeast (for baking bread)
I even went out and bought some wire and learned to make a snare. Catchin rabbbits in the front yard just for practice.

Ohh, and a Shotgun to protect it all.

And several other items. You get the point.

What I want is to collaborate with others to get some more ideas as to what to stock up on. I am convinced that the brown stuff will hit the fan very soon. We would all be wise to stock up.
Is there any amount of "Stocking Up" that is going to make you sleep better at night knowing you're covered??? When is enough enough???

Your thoughts???

[edit on 14-9-2009 by Jesus H Christ]

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Well first off, it weighs around 150-165 pounds, right? Are you planning to actually carry all of this on your back? If so then I think you need to lose alot of the weight. Or was this the list that you are keeping at your house?

[edit on 14-9-2009 by legacyv]

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Be prepared to be mobile!

They have marked your front door with GPS.
As soon as they co-ordinate your ISP...they are going to be target specific.
What always happens when people know too much?

They have to take out the truthers in order to keep their grip on those who are still asleep.
We are about to reach a tipping point.

Our only hope now is to foil their plans.

They are counting on people to stock up. That way they have "free resources" when your goods are turned over to the inter-faith corps for distribution to those who "have their mark".

These christian dominionist groups will be taking over the government social programs.

It is already happening in Calgary.

The mortgage scam was planned to knock people out of their homes. The job losses are planned to make people dependent on social services. If you are not supporting the Christian Dominionist Movement you will be out in the cold.

Get ready to roll!

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by legacyv

As opposed to my B.O.B. which I have ready and waiting should I nedd to get the F out of dodge, This would be a list of things to stock up on at home. We may not need to "Bug Out". We may just be s.o.l. when it comes to the grocery stores having food on the shelves. We may find our selves living at home with no water or electricity and no food on the shelves at the grocery store. Then What????

So I have started making preparations and would like some feedback as to what I'm missing.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   
In that case, I recommend:

cooking oil, salt, flour, nuts in the shell will keep a couple of years---pecans, peanuts---rice, honey, coffee, dried beans, of course. Also, if you are going to hunker down....I would suggest a few seeds for prolific plants. Something like squash, crowder peas, (those vines will help hide you as well)--plants that don't take a lot of effort. And use ashes from your campfire (when cooled) to keep insects off your food plants.

For cooking without electricity, I suggest the 16 brick oven. Easy to assemble, portable, low-key.

For water, scout around for rainbarrels. Ask your local ag dept where to obtain cheaply. Magazines sell for up to $120. I found mine local for $6 each. I would suggest to fill them up now with "good water" and keep them closed. You may need to add something to purify...or have a distiller or Berkley filter to run it through before use.

I wouldn't recommend much in the way of canned goods. If they are not used within certain length of time they can explode or go bad.

Some of the things on your list will still require refrigeration to keep...like the maple syrup and yeast.

Also, check for any product recalls on products you have.

[edit on 14-9-2009 by Alethea]

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 02:28 AM
link   
I would stock up on batteries for flashlights, radios, scanners. Then I would get oil for an oil lantern or two. Candles, small and large. I would get some wood if I had a fireplace. You must boil water and use the condensed? water on the lid of the pot for purified water. I don't know if condensed is the right word there. Canned goods especially protein products. Trash bags sanitary things. Lots of books to read. This would be for a time that one had to stay inside and was unable to get mobile.

Otherwise, if this is just getting out of dodge, I would have a couple of chickens, rooster, horse for transportation and a cow. Then have a small garden and exist as best I could.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

Funny you should mention that. I am getting ready to plop down a few hundred dollars on some canned food. Mostly soups, spaghetti O's,green beans, corn, mixed veggis, etc. Most canned goods seem to last for several years.

Irecently ate a can of vegetable soup that was five years old and It tasted fine. I ate an MRE that was 14 yrs old and it was great.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 03:09 AM
link   
I'm with you and keeping a pretty large stockpile of supplies at home, hoping that there will be no need to "bug out" and whatever disaster occurs (nuclear holocaust, social/economic breakdown) I can just sweat it out at the homestead. With a family of five, with young kids, that would by far be the easiest to do.

One thing you didn't mention is how many people in your household. Just you or a family?

Looks like you've got a pretty good stockpile going. Nice variety of protein, starches, carbs and vitamins. Dry goods like flower and rice will last for years if stored properly, they have to be kept DRY DRY DRY. If you have them in a storage room or closet I'd recommend getting one of those small plug-in-the-wall dehumidifiers just to make sure they keep. They can be re-used indefinitely.

I know it's cheaper to buy in bulk, but unless you've got a family of 5-6 you're feeding, I recommend buying the normal-sized cans for canned goods like beans, corn, etc rather than the monster cans. Without refrigeration you need to finish the can in a day or two of opening. Plus if you do need to bug out you can throw a couple small cans in your pack for meals on the go. Some canned soup might be a good idea. Complete meal in a can with meat, veggies alltogether, well-balanced and ready to eat as soon as you pop the top.

You need to store some water too. Yes you have a water filter (assumed to be a decent brand such as Katadyn) but you shouldn't be counting on puddles or rain for water. Count on at least 1/2 gallon of potable water per family member per day for drinking and food preparation. Unless you have a river or pond REALLY close by (because lugging 1/2 gallon per person each day would get tiresome) you definitely need to stock up on water. 7-gallon plastic water storage jugs can be bought at Wal-mart and other discount stores. You can safely add 2-3 drops of chlorine bleach per gallon to help cut down on bacteria/algae that may grow in the water if stored for a long period of time. Even with bleach, tho, you should rotate out your stored water every 6 months or so.

Also keep in mind that ponds & rivers *WILL* become contaminated eventually in a SHTF scenario. Folks will be using them to wash their clothes in, wash dirty dishes, wash themselves, and as a toilet.

Alternatively you can buy bulk-packs of bottled water, which are sterilized when bottled and last much, much longer in storage. Plus the containers can be easily reused for other things.

I would recommend LOTS more salt as well. Pure "pickling" or "kosher" salt is best but iodized salt is cheaper and can be used as well. It's a natural disinfectant, abrasive cleaner and preservative.

Some multi-vitamins might be a good idea to keep yourself healthy while eating a restricted diet.

Get a few gallon jugs of cheap chlorine bleach. You need a way to keep your home sanitary. Again, don't know the size of your household but several people holed up in a house for months on end things will get nasty and sickness/infection is not something you want to deal with. Buy a couple bulk-pack bars of cheap soap too.

Toilet paper? Everybody seems to forget that

Make sure you have plenty of shells for your shotgun with #5-#7 birdshot. Some 00 buckshot might be good too for larger game and self defense. Learn to make a figure-four deadfall trap. Plant some fruit trees. If your city allows it, get some chickens or other livestock. 5 hens can yield 30 eggs a week.

Sorry for the long post. I had to rewrite it because I ran over the 4,000 character limit.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 05:13 AM
link   
I seem to recall reading on a previous survival thread that it is recommended to freeze all starch, rice/pasta/flour etc for one or two days just kill off any "eggs" which may have shipped with the product and could destroy some of your supplies, make sure it's all watertight and freeze! I don't know if anyone else has suggestesd this yet but honey would be good, not just as a sweetener but also for medical use. Also Bee Propolis!

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Mortimer452

This is great and exactly what I had in mind. Thanks for all of the great tips. I will remember them next time I go shopping. I do nedd to stock up on bleach. I forgot about that one.

I have a wife and four kids so there really is no such thing as stocking up too much. Ramen noodles are practically free these days and rice is very cheap too. I paid $14 for a 50 lb bag. That is alot of food when you are hungry. No one has an excuse to go hungry when TSHTF. But we can only prepare soo much. Eventually it will run out.

Also great idea about getting some hens. Would I need a rooster too. I have threatened to get some chickens for a while now. Thanks for reminding me. I just wonder how the dogs will take to them.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by wiser3
I seem to recall reading on a previous survival thread that it is recommended to freeze all starch, rice/pasta/flour etc for one or two days just kill off any "eggs" which may have shipped with the product and could destroy some of your supplies, make sure it's all watertight and freeze!

Yeah I read that in a thread here too. Probly the same one. I will remember to take those sacks of flour and rice out on the coldest day this winter and let 'em sit for a day or two.

I recently learned how to bake bread with just very basic ingredients. Needless to say, I stocked up on all those ingrediants. There may be no food on the shelves at the grocery store but there will be fresh baked bread at my house for years to come.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Good thread. Personally, I have just been stocking basic food items as I go shopping. I add a few things more here and there. I am trying to stock things that don't require much water to prepare, because I don't have much of a way to store much water. I also have stored some juices and caprisun (yeah i know it's not nutritionally great) to have other fluids to drink. I am at a loss to know what exactly to store. I have a lot of canned potatoes, peanut butter, rice, pasta, ramen, some canned veggies (we really don't eat a lot of those actually), I also have corned beef, tuna, canned chicken, canned beef, peanuts, dry milk, cereals, oats, baking needs for bread. Toiletries like feminine products, toilet paper, soap, shampoo, wet wipes. I just bought a huge container of clorox wipes to keep things clean without water. I think your list sounds good. I need batteries for my flashlights and radio. Maybe another radio would be good.

I keep thinking I should find a way to shield my stuff from EMPs too. Like my radio especially. Maybe a box made for it to store it in so I can make sure it will be available. Also somehow rig up my laptop case to deflect an EMP. Then keep the laptop in it of course! ahah... well I don't know if any of this helped but I like your post and sharing with others. this is a good thread so far... some good info.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Good list so far - I might add:

Vinegar - good for cleaning, canning (pickling), laundry and wound cleaning.

Soap - or supplies to make your own.

Bandages plus First Aid Kit.

Dried beans or/and peas.

Dried (powdered) milk.

Powdered "broth" - bullion cubes or packaged - for spicing and flavor.

Coffee/Tea

Some raw honey - also good for wounds as well as eating - lasts forever!

Oatmeal - good to eat but also good as a "poultice" and in bath for rashes etc.

[edit on 14-9-2009 by mappam]

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I am stocking up on FAITH IT ALWAYS WORKS FOR ME (REALISTICALLY IN THE LAST DAYS NOONE SURVIVES THE 3 WOES READ ON IT AND GET FAITH.) 3 WOES REMEMBER ATSrz "JUDGMENT TIME IS UPON US ALL" AMEN ALL MEN

[edit on 9/14/09 by Ophiuchus 13]

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by mappam

I knew there was something I was forgetting. Vineger. Thanks for the reminder. As for all of the other things listed, I have them. It was impossible to remember everything I have but now that I see it in a post it is jogging my memory. I have like 5lbs of canned tuna which will be a great source of badly needed protein.

Honey is another thing I must get.

Thanks.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Lexxica

Please check into getting a good portable water filter like thi s. This is the model I have and I have field tested it several times. It works great. I have literally drank straight out of a dirty river and not gotten sick.

Take my advice, get one! It will run you about $70. and it is well worth it.
I know I have pissed away $70 on stupider B.S. than a good water filter. There is no better peace of mind than knowing if all else fails you will have clean drinking water. Also, in a shtf scenario clean water will be more valuable than all the gold bullion in the world.

Also, as mentioned earlier (and I will take this advice as well) stock up on bleach. A couple of drops will disinfect several gallons of water from the river and make it safe to drink.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jesus H Christ

Also great idea about getting some hens. Would I need a rooster too. I have threatened to get some chickens for a while now. Thanks for reminding me. I just wonder how the dogs will take to them.

You don't need a rooster to get eggs, the hens will lay just as often with or without a rooster. You do need a rooster to get fertile eggs you can hatch yourself (or if you're lucky get a hen to do it for you) to replenish your flock. Chickens can live for many years but their egg-laying usefulness is gone after about 2 years.

If you live in the city roosters are most likely a no-no. Most cities have ordinances against keeping roosters due to the noise. Many also have rules on how many chickens you can keep in the city, or if you can keep them at all. Fortunately I live outside city limits but within the city, where I live, you're only allowed 5 chickens and no roosters.

Keeping a small flock of 5 is real easy. They just need a small, fully enclosed pen to roost in at night, and a slightly larger fenced area to give them access to some fresh air & dirt/grass to scratch around in. Plus water and feed bowls obviously. The whole setup would probably make a 4x8ft footprint in your back yard.

If you have a Tractor Supply Co nearby they sell baby chicks every spring for a buck or two apiece. Fun for the kids to take care of & watch them grow. Or, check your local Craigslist or classifieds and see if anyone is selling fertile eggs, usually a couple dollars per dozen & you can get an incubator for $30 or so and hatch them yourself. That's pretty fun for kids too.

There's lots of different breeds of chickens and they're all good for different purposes in different environments & climates, U2U me if you need some advice or help, I've been raising chickens for a few years now.

Don't trust your dogs around chickens no matter how nice your dogs are. All that flapping and clucking is too irresistable
Mine have been trained pretty well but still chase them around when they think I'm not looking.

www.backyardchickens.com... has some good info on keeping small flocks in the city.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   

reply to post by Alethea

Funny you should mention that. I am getting ready to plop down a few hundred dollars on some canned food. Mostly soups, spaghetti O's,green beans, corn, mixed veggis, etc. Most canned goods seem to last for several years.

Irecently ate a can of vegetable soup that was five years old and It tasted fine. I ate an MRE that was 14 yrs old and it was great.

Was gonna point that out..most of the things I stockpile , about 80%, requires NO COOKING..ready to eat.Ever since we had a blackout here that lasted for a week..I LEARNED.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   

This is great and exactly what I had in mind. Thanks for all of the great tips. I will remember them next time I go shopping. I do nedd to stock up on bleach. I forgot about that one.

I have a wife and four kids so there really is no such thing as stocking up too much. Ramen noodles are practically free these days and rice is very cheap too. I paid $14 for a 50 lb bag. That is alot of food when you are hungry. No one has an excuse to go hungry when TSHTF. But we can only prepare soo much. Eventually it will run out.

I have been "preparing' for a few years now as I have seen "it" coming (hope I am wrong) These are some great suggestions which I fully agree with and already have so I don't have a lot to add except for HAND TOOLS for anything you currently use power for. From Drills to meat grinders to food mashers gardening tools,etc.

Also I didn't see but the obvious are camping supplies like a propane, or even better, dual fuel stove.

I also keep a couple of the Heater buddy propane heaters for indoor use, a wood burning stove outside on my patio (I have a fireplace inside). I keep many propane cylinders in small and large size. A few car alternators are another thing to have on hand if you can find them at garage sale etc.

Fishing supplies both in standard stuff but also nets, spears, frog forks and trotlines.

A couple animal cage type traps and a bunch of foot type traps.

canning supplies

Guess I had more suggestions than I thought.

And we recently got chickens and yes the dogs "love" them so you need to keep them separated.

[edit on 14-9-2009 by I_am_Spartacus]

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
And here is a list I made for books to have I also put on a different post.

If you only had one book I think "The Ultimate Guide to U.S. Army Survival Skills, Tactics, and Techniques" is your best bet. It is a compilation of all the military survival and related manuals into one LARGE book.

If you are looking for more books on survival. preparation, self sufficiency, etc. here are some of whats on my bookshelf including the one above.

"Dare to Prepare" By Holly Deyo

"Survival Wisdom" and "Country Wisdom" both found recently at Sams Club. these hav a TON of valuable information and have gone to to the top of my favorites list.

"Poor Mans James Bond I and II"

"U.S. Field Medic Guide"

"Foragers Harvest"

"Back to Basics"

"Guide to Self Sufficiency"

"Foxfire 1 thru 5"

"The Foragers Harvest"

"Feeding Free on Wild Edibles"

Any canning and food preserving books you can get your hands on.

This list is far from all I have but these will get you the most bang for your buck.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join