It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So when will we see real, widespread black markets?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Of course, we already have black markets for illegal stuff and things we aren't allowed to talk about on ATS. But I'm talking black markets for more daily-use goods: tinned food, say, or freshly field-dressed racoon. Clothes, soap, tissue paper, you name it.

When there is no money in a community, people may begin informally swapping goods and services just to get by. Then eventually perhaps a dual currency system evolves, with dollars being basically worthless and it being foolish to waste money on overpriced "officially sanctioned" goods. Then, if the dollar continues its disasterous drop on world markets, there may come a time when certain goods are impossible to get -- because we've given up on manufacturing them in the US and the foreigners who make them may not want to trade them for increasingly worthless dollars. And of course if the gov't gets deeper involved we may see soviet-style people waiting lines for "ration coupon books" (most likely scanned onto a card of some kind, say) or actual goods. "I hear they are giving out real pork-meat today! A shipment came in!" Instant two-hour line forms.

In such circumstances, black markets pop up. There's always a guy who "knows how to get stuff." ("My cousin just came back from china with a suitcase full of saran-wrap and safety pins: are you interested? Hard currency only, please: I only take silver dimes, yen, euros, or yuan.")

This kind of thing may be a few years off but I expect to see it soon. People would have laughed at the idea of tent cities 5 years ago...now they are everywhere. Think about it.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Not until we're all required to have the mark of the beast.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

I think once we start seeing rampant homelessness due to unemployment, this will be a natural byproduct. Didn't something like this happen in the big tent cities during the 1930s?

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Don't know where you're from brother, but here in Utah, we've been doing it for a while.

We're not LDS members, but we get along real well. My wife is a nurse, and I know electronics. I fix tv's, vcr's, and stuff on the side, my wife "advises" and we get plenty of fresh veggies and bread.

If it weren't for rent, high speed internet, and cable, we could probably get along nicely without cash now.

Get involved in your community. Where ever you're from. I'm sure people are doing it now.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

Well, that doesn't sound like a bad deal at all, to be frank. I can't see this happening around me because I'm an "urban hermit" who lives in the middle of a big city and hardly ever leaves his place...but if rural or semi-rural communities can make this work than all the power to them.

Some places have tried issuing so-called local Community Currency Systems, involving coupon-like certificates that can be based on something like man-hours of work and can be used in a given community. I think its a wonderful idea but the Govt has come down HARD on some of these when they get a little too large.

Cooperation and community will be increasingly important. The cities may get by on their raw density for awhile, and in urban places where you can'T as easily establish trust-worthy relationships with those around you, you might see something more along the lines of an actual "black market" pop up...

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
HA! Just realized I posted this to the wrong thread
Ok, well, FWIW, read on...

I tried posting a thread on this before, but lost my text because I happened to pick a name that was already in use and forgot to copy my text the clipboard before subitting... *argh*

Anyway, I have thought of this concept many times in terms of neighborhood support groups. Here are two ideas I have been mulling:

1) Community Gardens -- insteading of leaving empty houses to rot, convert the yards into full fledge gardens for food. Use the interiors to grow herbs and fragile plants that need specific climates. Those who help plant,weed, maintain, and sow share in the harvest.

2) Community power generation -- there are so many ways to make electricity on the small scale level it's crazy, but none of them are really feasible on a mass utility level. Still solar, geo-thermal & wind, alchohol generators, even human powered generators (in a pinch) could easily be setup in front yards or vacant lots to provide power to a neighborhood. These could be maintained by locals and the revenue from cogen profits could go back to the project for repairs and upgrades.

[edit on 9-13-2009 by rogerstigers]

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Talk to your neighbors. I bet they will be thinking the same thing. Urban areas may become "specialized" with areas providing more of one thing than another. . .

Never hurts to have friends watching your back.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   

You say you live in an urban environment, do you have any space to play with? good sized balcony or back yard? If you want a pretty neat idea to become useful in a black market or even want to become more self sufficient look into aquaponics. It's something that's caught on a decent bit in Australia and i've looked into it myself here in the states.

Aquapnics listing at wikipedia

It's a pretty neat concept, and you don't need a ton of room. You could seriously barter with some fresh fish and veggies, especially if you're land locked like a lot of us are.

new topics

top topics

join