It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ACLU sues Pittsburgh, Secret Service over G20 protest permits

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   

ACLU sues Pittsburgh, Secret Service over G20 protest permits

rawstory.com

A US rights group is suing the city of Pittsburgh and the US Secret Service on behalf of activists seeking to protest the upcoming G-20 summit to be held here September 24 and 25.

“We’ve been very patient. We simply can’t wait any longer,” Walczak told AFP, adding that 13 requests for demonstration permits had been submitted to municipal authorities, but only two were approved, for dates before the summit.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   

The activists, who say in the lawsuit that they “represent thousands of people who oppose the undemocratic way in which the G20 operates” want permission use parks in the city as camping space for visiting protestors and the green light for a protest that would pass close to the conference center where heads of state are meeting.

“The plaintiffs seek to engage in peaceful, constitutionally protected expressive activities during the upcoming G20 summit in Pittsburgh,” the lawsuit says.

Jules Lobel of the Center for Constitutional Rights offered support for the filing.

“The first amendment prohibits the government from deciding to allow or not certain people to speak whether they have different messages. The government can’t dictate who speaks their message.”

The court is expected to deliver a ruling on the case at the beginning of next week.

The ACLU is on the right side of this one.

The City of Pittsburgh is not allowing, or in some cases is just brushing off requests for permits to protest.

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Good find. It's not often I find myself thinking the ACLU is on the right side of things, but I think they are here. Sort of interested to see what becomes of this. And if the permits are denied.. and protests happen anyway... well things have the potential to get ugly fast in those kinds of scenarios.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Great story and an important one that illustrates how when the Rulers come to town, the constitution and our legal rights go out the window so we can bow like the humble supplicants and slaves to their supreme will they deign us to be.

Once again there is no Constitutional authority for the Secret Service to prophibit the peaceful right to assemble and speak and demonstrate.

In reality the only Permit one needs is the constitution and I hope people will demonstrate whether permitted to or not, as no one has the right to not permit demonstrations here in America, not even the Secret Service.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

If those permits are denied I'm going to go just for the hell of it. Who the hell is the government to tell citizens they don't have the right to protest an elitist event?
Another thing, somewhat related. My friend from the army lives out there and his brother has some severe medical problems and the whole city is basically going to be on lockdown and he's worried that, God forbid, something happens he won't be able to get him to the hospital...

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
The ACLU is one of the most reprehensible self serving organizations in America... (sans ACORN, SEIU, US CONGRESS and SENATE)

But occasionally, they accidentally get it correct.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I don't see what the problem is, they approved all but 2 permits- and those groups want to camp in the park.

Only two permits for G-20 protests predicted to fail

As the clock ticked down Friday on an ultimatum leveled by dozens of protest groups demanding unconditional permits to demonstrate during the G-20 economic summit, Pittsburgh officials worked to avoid lawsuits from the organizations.

An attorney for the protest groups predicted the city would grant all but two permits next week.

Mayor Luke Ravenstahl's staff, Public Safety Director Mike Huss, police brass and city solicitors met yesterday morning to discuss requests for 15 permits. Officials said they were trying to balance the public's right to demonstrate with the Secret Service's mandate to safeguard world leaders and their delegates at the Sept. 24-25 meeting.

Mayoral spokeswoman Joanna Doven said leaders would continue to work with national and local protest groups and federal authorities to arbitrate requests to occupy choice Downtown real estate.

"We're trying to be approachable and to work it out for everyone," Doven said. "Believe it or not, we want these marches to occur, but we also realize that the Secret Service needs to have security at these events.

"There still are pieces to the puzzle we haven't worked out. There are places where the Secret Service wants to stage security resources that also have been requested by protesters, but we're trying to accommodate everyone."

Doven said Assistant Solicitor Yvonne Schlosberg is talking with the protest groups' legal team, especially Witold "Vic" Walczak, an attorney for the American Civil Liberties Union of Pennsylvania.

"The bottom line is that the city will be granting almost all the permits on Tuesday," Walczak predicted. "There are two that will be denied."

He said those permits were filed by peace activists with Pittsburgh's Code Pink chapter and environmentalists represented by the Three Rivers' Convergence group, which is acting as an umbrella for dozens of green causes.

Ravenstahl announced two weeks ago the city would grant all eight permits for demonstrations that were submitted at that time.

Walczak said city officials invited him, group organizers and representatives from the Thomas Merton Center in Garfield to meet Tuesday to talk about alternate sites and possible changes to a planned "People's March" Sept. 25 through Downtown streets.

"We were told that on Tuesday we would find out more," Walczak said. "This isn't important only to those who want to peacefully assemble Downtown, but also everyone who lives and works there and who are affected by all of this."

In Washington, Special Agent Darrin Blackford with the Secret Service said security perimeters would be published Tuesday, when maps and other documents showing barriers would be released to news outlets. He said city officials would announce a transportation plan the following week that includes restrictions for traffic patterns and garages near the David L. Lawrence Convention Center, where world leaders will meet.

Blackford said federal authorities likely would forbid some activities that protest groups are contemplating, such as a low-altitude flyover to snap photos of a Sept. 25 march and picnic Downtown.

"We are cautious every step of the way about this," Blackford said. "We have a legal subcommittee, one of 21 subcommittees that have been meeting, and the legal subcommittee has been in step with the others. ... The Secret Service encourages the exercise of everyone's right to demonstrate in a lawful manner."

The Three Rivers' Convergence group plans to demonstrate against the G-20 and the International Coal Conference, scheduled for Sept. 20-23 at the Westin Convention Center. Organizers said they would talk this weekend about sites.

Possibilities are sleeping in Schenley Park or the Hill District's Kennard playground, they said. If the city carries out its intention of banning tents on municipal property after 11 p.m., activists could camp outside town and take buses Downtown.

"No one really knows how many people are coming," said Casey Capitolo, an East Liberty organizer for Three Rivers' Convergence. "Efforts to delay or deny permits, the announcements that trickle out about the large numbers of police and now military personnel — these tactics have been used in the past by other cities to keep people from coming to these kinds of events. All we're asking is that the city change the tone."

link

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
i had heard of a false flag attack during G-20 was supposed to take place..maybe denying these permits has something to do with it???

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
They shouldn't feel bad. The City of Pittsburgh has also turned requests that local businesses be allowed to protect their property with armed security. ACLU should just stay out of this. These protestors have no intention of being peaceful. All I have to say is that if anybody blocks me from going to work or throws anything on me, they are going to wish they hadn't.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by JIMC5499

what a badass old man you are

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Permits to protest is just unconstitutional UTTER BS.

Those crooks we call ``politicians`` sure want their little ``let's kill the dollar and let's bring the world government`` completed in Pittsburg without anyone protesting them.

I say all those who went to Washington DC on September 12 to march on Pittsburg on September 24/25.

Those bastards can't get away with this crap, especially now when they are in their final phase of killing the country.

[edit on 14-9-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by ruckus49

what a badass old man you are

Damn straight. There are plenty of others who feel the same as I do. If they want to come here and protest PEACEFULLY that's their right. I'm basing my concerns on their past history. What I can't figure out is how all of these protestors can afford to travel to Pittsburgh and spend the week here? Who's footing the bill?

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Well the days of peacful protest are over, they accomplish diddly. Take for instance the recent TeaParty march on the Whore/White House. Almost 2 million people. And a couple days later I read head lines like this>> "Obama expects passage of 'good health care bill' here is the link... news.yahoo.com...

99% of those elected by us don't give a damn what we think.....as a matter of fact they think we are nothing more than peasants...and uneducated.
I say sourround the G20 area and burn everything and everyone inside the area they have blocked.

As for who funds all this , most use their own resorces . Don't take that much to get there. I think a bus will get you there for about 70 bucks.

Like other post before me, I also don't care for the ACLU. You don't need a permit, the constitution says we have that right.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grayelf2009
Well the days of peacful protest are over, they accomplish diddly. Take for instance the recent TeaParty march on the Whore/White House.
I say sourround the G20 area and burn everything and everyone inside the area they have blocked.

Easy for you to say, you don't live and work in the area. How about sending me a U2U with your home address so that I can come over and stage a "peaceful protest" at your house? I didn't think so.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   

If the G20 was here I would give you my blessing....Im sure you me and all the other americans are tired of being abused and trampled on no matter if we live in a city or here in the wheat fields. Those elected people at that meeting don't give a hoot about you , me or our work.

Do people actually live in those tall buildings in downtown areas in the big cities or just work there ?

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Grayelf2009

It depends on the building. Problem is that the center of the summit is more towards the residential section than the business section.

I have to move through the area, on foot, on my way to and from work. I plan on a live and let live policy. Leave me alone and I'll leave you alone. Somebody goes to throw something on me then they are going to have a problem. With all of the diseases and chemicals out there I intend to consider anything that anybody tries to throw at me harmful and a threat to my safety. I was in Seattle during the WTO in 1999 and got covered in chicken blood. I lost track of the number of shots I had to have. Somebody tries this crap and they are going to be looking down the barrel of a Glock. I have all of the necessary permits to carry.

[edit on 14-9-2009 by JIMC5499]

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Dude, it's 2 days! If you don't want to stand up for the constitutional right to protest then don't. Just take a different walk to work for 2 days. You live in a famous town that is the heart and soul of what America stands for and all you are worried about is someone throwing something on you? I'm sorry but you sound petty. People are going to protest what they believe in, in front of the most powerful people in the world, they are not traveling across town and country to go pee on your lawn.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by SunnyDee

Dude, it's 2 days! If you don't want to stand up for the constitutional right to protest then don't. Just take a different walk to work for 2 days. You live in a famous town that is the heart and soul of what America stands for and all you are worried about is someone throwing something on you? I'm sorry but you sound petty. People are going to protest what they believe in, in front of the most powerful people in the world, they are not traveling across town and country to go pee on your lawn.

I can't take a different route to work, security has the rest of them blocked. They can protest all they want to for all I care. I have no problem leaving earlier to get to work on time. Hell, I support their right to protest PEACEFULLY, as I said I'll let them alone if they do the same to me. In 1999 I was in Seattle on business and got soaked in blood while going into my hotel. The Seattle paramedics made me go to the hospital where I got a series of shots, including all of the Hepatitus series. I was as sick as a dog for two weeks. Their right to protest stops at that point as far as I am concerned. If that sounds petty then so be it. I don't really give a damn.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by SunnyDee

He should find another way to work for what?

I would drive the normal route and any dumbass who wants to wave his sign in my face will end up getting bumped.

They can protest all they want until it impedes on a mans ability to provide for his family. Thats when they take their health into their own hands.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

Wow, Ok , I shouldn't bother, but here goes....it's not all about you. Sometimes people need to do things for hopefully the better of us all and all you 2 seem to care about is your own path?

If there is a giant concert/game in town, do you take a side route to avoid traffic? Yes, most of us would answer. Do the same now. Or do you just like to get in the middle of things and then cry that someone bumped you? And please give me a break on the "Oh, all my ways to work, are blocked...wah wah wah" Use your brains! one of you 2 look like you are ex-marine or something, you must be able to figure this out.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join