It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America is Sick

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
reply to post by Stormdancer777

I provided one example I witnessed at Sydney Airport in one of my previous posts - a quick check by anyone can verify that. Another example, now that you have asked, is also at Sydney Airport between 2 Americans and an airport security guard. I stood there and watched as they chewed their tobacco and spat it out on the sidewalk. The guard walked up to them calmly and explained to them that it is against the law to spit on public property here - even the sidewalk, and the two Americans started to yell and shout about they had the right to do what they wanted, that they were American so that should give them preferential treatment. I kid you not I can remember that incident like it was yesterday.

You are stereotyping all Americans as ignorant tobacco chewing idiots.

You can walk down alleys in Sydney or visit Byron Bay and see people doing drugs.

Would it be safe to assume that you and the rest of your countrymen are junkies?

Judging all Americans by your limited view is very bigoted.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Point taken, but on the same note you do not live in the rest of the world do you? So how can you know for sure what others think of you and why? See my point? All I have done is attempt to explain the situation to you from a foreigners perspective - not to try and rub it in and yet I have been misunderstood and vilified for doing so.

It is VERY relevant because you admit that you have many problems within your own country and yet you still declare to the world that you are the greatest. Even if this is not your PERSONAL opinion then why are you not willing to discuss it, because many other Americans DO think and act that way, and perhaps offer up some solutions as to how America's image can be rectified with the rest of the world? How about instead of this being an attack thread it can be used for productive discussion?

Is that really too much to ask?

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Let's see what is this?

The Ugly Australian and the Indian Political Response
As news of an unabated series of racially charged violence against Indian students has reached India, and the Indian diaspora, disingenuous denials of racism by Australian police officers, politicians and several mainstream journalists have only served to reinforce the image of the "Ugly Australian".

india..._resource.tripod.com/ugly-australian.html

Universities have been feeble and lethargic in providing basic security even as police officers have routinely looked the other way when desperate Indian students have sought help from law enforcement officials. Blatant and vicious acts of racial violence have been dismissed as "opportunistic attacks" even in cases where the evidence has overwhelmingly pointed to racial jealousy and hatred being the instrumental cause for the attacks.

Most shockingly, much of the Australian press has resorted to reporting that has been duplicitious and offensive. Australian newspapers have carried articles attempting to deflect blame by pointing to acts of intolerance in India, conveniently forgetting the role of the Australian press and government in seducing Indians to come to Australia in the first place. In any case, when Indians are paying for their education, they are entitled to get what they pay for, and to not have to worry about their very survival in an alien country.

Furthermore, when the BJP protested the racial attacks, "The Australian" responded with a headline to the effect "Hindu Extremists" protest in India. Instead of attacking the Australian establishment that was allowing the racist and criminal thugs to go upunished, sections of the Australian press were engaging in the type of vicious Hindu-baiting that ought to have no place in any civilized society.

What is going on there in Australia, Pot?

Yours truly, the ignorant.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Originally posted by lucentenigma

Come now, even in that example cited, it was clearly stated as one example

That's grabbing at straws, and taking things very far out of hand. How can one example that was blown out of proportion by others then fall back on the one who posted it as a generalized stereotype when it was only one "cowboy" doing this.

I'm sure now I will be accused of calling all cowboys either "Americans" or "chewing tobacco users."

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by lucentenigma

Oh my god, you have completely missed my point haven't you? Let me guess, you decided it was unworthy of your time to perhaps read through ALL of my posts in this thread and discover that I am not attacking Americans I am simply trying to explain what the world thinks of you and why and how it could be rectified? Did you also miss the several posts where I made a point of saying that I am not referring to all Americans but the ones with the loudest voices are the ones ruining your image to the rest of the world for the rest of you? Did you also perhaps skip over the several posts of mine that state I have a few American friends that live here in Australia? Did you also trundle straight past the part of my last post where I indicated that the Tobacco Chewing incident was MERELY AN EXAMPLE OF MANY DIFFERING SITUATIONS that I have experienced?

Funny about that, I could have sworn I mentioned all this several times....oh wait, I did!

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by niteboy82

Come now, even in that example cited, it was clearly stated as one example

That's grabbing at straws, and taking things very far out of hand. How can one example that was blown out of proportion by others then fall back on the one who posted it as a generalized stereotype when it was only one "cowboy" doing this.

I'm sure now I will be accused of calling all cowboys either "Americans" or "chewing tobacco users."

Why? Because I did not see the poster also stating any examples of Americans who visit Sydney who are respectable decent people. Why only give examples that reinforce a stereotype?

[edit on 13-9-2009 by lucentenigma]

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Racism in Australia facts

www.antar.org.au...

A United Nations envoy slammed Australia's military-led intervention in remote Aboriginal communities and said racism was "entrenched" in the country, in a damning assessment on Thursday.

UN Special Rapporteur on Indigenous Rights James Anaya said the intervention policy, where thousands of troops and police were sent to help curb alcohol-fuelled sexual abuse and domestic violence, was clearly discriminatory.

He urged the government to reinstate the Racial Discrimination Act in the Northern Territory, and called for compensation for the "stolen generations" of Aboriginal children, who were taken from their parents to promote racial integration.

"It undermines the right of indigenous peoples to control their own destinies, their right to self-determination," Anaya, referring to the intervention, told reporters in Canberra.

rawstory.com...

www.bbc.co.uk...

The intervention promised $1 billion in greater housing for the Aboriginal population. Instead, the money has been used to take away Aboriginal lands while building virtually no new housing units. Thousands of Aboriginals have also lost their jobs during the intervention’s restructuring of Aboriginal lands.

The program has also imposed tough rules on Aborigines, including a ban on alcohol. The government has used the chauvinist excuse that the Aboriginal-only laws are meant to reduce child abuse and sexual assault.

Aborigines are denied basic social services in apartheid-like fashion. They suffer from higher rates of poverty and significantly shorter life expectancy than the rest of the country’s inhabitants.

Thousands of people have attended mass actions against the intervention and have sent personal letters to the UN, demanding a halt to the intervention and greater access to land.

www.pslweb.org...

Clean up your own back yard.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Oh my god, you have completely missed my point haven't you? Let me guess, you decided it was unworthy of your time to perhaps read through ALL of my posts in this thread and discover that I am not attacking Americans I am simply trying to explain what the world thinks of you and why and how it could be rectified? Did you also miss the several posts where I made a point of saying that I am not referring to all Americans but the ones with the loudest voices are the ones ruining your image to the rest of the world for the rest of you? Did you also perhaps skip over the several posts of mine that state I have a few American friends that live here in Australia? Did you also trundle straight past the part of my last post where I indicated that the Tobacco Chewing incident was MERELY AN EXAMPLE OF MANY DIFFERING SITUATIONS that I have experienced?

Funny about that, I could have sworn I mentioned all this several times....oh wait, I did!

LOL, you sir are the one assuming! Assuming I did not read your post and assuming that I do not find your views as worthy of my time.

Did you also miss the several posts where I made a point of saying that I am not referring to all Americans but the ones with the loudest voices are the ones ruining your image to the rest of the world for the rest of you? Did you also perhaps skip over the several posts of mine that state I have a few American friends that live here in Australia?

If you do have friends that are Americans why is it that you seem to think the lot of us are inferior? Should not your views be based on your American friends and not the ones you deem arrogant?

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Perhaps I didn't mention any examples of good things in that post because I assumed that people had read all my previous posts and had seen the lines, stated multiple times, dealing with the fact that I have American friends here in Sydney and that I used to live with an American bloke and from that, coupled with the fact that I had made a point of saying that I was not referring to ALL Americans, I assumed that anyone reading my posts would automatically infer that I had numerous good times with said friends?

My apologies, next time I'll state it in plainer English, when I can figure out how.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by stevegmu
reply to post by NightSkyeB4Dawn

You think those examples make American tourists look like ogres? Complaining about tiny rooms, not having air-conditioning, and not being able to get a cold drink don't make Americans look bad, they just make the host country look backward.

Now there was nothing elitist and deprecating in that statement was there?

I am sure you exude tolerance and goodwill when ever you travel abroad and that your attitudes have all the people of your host country extolling the attitudes and behavior of Americans.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Not really getting my point are you? I am not sure that at any point in time has ANY Aussie EVER declared that Australia was the greatest country in the world and that we do not have our own issues. I know for a FACT that I haven't in this thread either. If anyone can think of an example though to prove me wrong, please feel free to post it.

Contrast that to the MANY Americans who declare that America is the greatest, completely ignoring the fact that you have at least an equal amount of bad stuff that occurs in your country as occurs in every other country in the world.

Is that clear enough for you?

(Edited for extra clarification so the point cannot be missed).

[edit on 13/9/2009 by Kryties]

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Originally posted by lucentenigmaWhy? Because I did not see the poster also stating any examples of Americans who visit Sydney who are respectable decent people. Why only give examples that reinforce a stereotype?

[edit on 13-9-2009 by lucentenigma]

Maybe because they haven't seen any? Maybe because that example was on topic? Perhaps because anecdotal evidence was needed to explain the point to another poster?

However getting so illogically wrapped into one line out of a myriad of posts made seems to be a light symptom of what is wrong and addressed as wrong by the opening poster throughout their posts.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
"The grass is always greener on the other side"

-End Of Rant!!!

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by CuteAngel

-End Of Rant!!!

Amen.
second line,

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by CuteAngel

-End Of Rant!!!

We have the ability to live in a country where this is no other side.

I know that it is a fantasy to believe that we can have a united states of America.

I know that I am being unrealistic to even hope for an America that accepts all of its citizens as just plain garden variety Americans.

The only way Americans seem to be able to unite is when they are hating something in common even if it is just an opposing football or baseball team.

When a country is breaking apart like a boil filled with pus how else would you describe it but sick?

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo

You apparently have an axe to grind - perhaps some skeletons in your own closet. But don't you dare start calling us "Racists and Bigots" - it is unfounded and unjustified!!!

Yes he does! I wish we were MORE bigoted, maybe it would get something done at our borders. My my we are so mean and nasty.

I mean just look what happens if you cross the border into North Korea You get 12 years hard labor.

But cross the border into America, ya get free health care, free education, food stamps, SSI, housing. Yeah we aren't bigots, we just got a lot of idiots and most of them are in Washington DC.

Ive been around as long as the OP and I never remember a time where I would hate and fear a US president so much, that if he got assassinated, I'd prolly send the guy that did it a thank you card as someone who made the ultimate sacrifice to save our country from a tyrant and radical communist. I'd rather vote for PALIN, than this clown.

Everything he told us not to worry about that he wouldn't mess with, he messed with and now its garbage.

Everything he said he was going to to, he not only didn't do it but kept doing it while expanding on on it.

All that crap about no taxes and he was for the ones that needed the money. Funny BARACK Now that YOU'RE in charge I am learning how to live not needing money because I have none left thanks to you. Or do you think that extra $140 bucks added to my electric for your stupid cap and trade junk science, is something I can "offset" by "cutting cost (he means corners) else where?

The OP wouold have us believe that we all hate Obama MERELY because he is half black! HA HA HA HA Wow, I think after all he has done to piss everyone off, he should BE SO HATED if that was all it is about.

His color has nothing to do with it as long as he is for the red whte and blue but the only color he is about is Red and Green.

Oh and lets not forget, who was proven to be attending a racist church for twenty years, DO YOU think a racist America would have elected him or did a very deaf dumb and blind America miss all the clues?

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Ya know,it seems to me that the more we talk about
racism the worse it gets. Live and let live and let's
get on with more important things like how our
(thats black/white/everybody) country is going
down the tubes fast.
Racism is just another tool for the PTB to keep
us at each other's throats instead of theirs.
But we might be wising up about that!

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by calihan_12

Originally posted by RRconservative
reply to post by calihan_12

Got to respect India! Any country that thinks Global Warming is bunk has my respect.

Good Luck to you on that!

have you ever been to india? i highly doubt it. i however have. and yes, its polluted and over populated, but one of the most HUMBLE places i have ever experienced. so dont assume things about a country you have never been to.

Pople in India live in garbage piles. Of course they are humble.

ANOTHER big assumption. only the people in the SLUMS of india live in garbage. not ALL of india. thanks for being another ignorant american. you prove my points just by speaking.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   

you are obviously not understanding what im saying. when i said dont act like a typical american.. i was implying to not act like a spoiled brat.

You don't write like an American, either. I take it you really aren't an American, or are an ESL student? Seems to me you are just an America-bashing troll.

can you read? i stated many posts back that YES i am american, born in california. you are so good at proving just how dumb some americans are, thank you for making my job easier.

i just LOVE ignorant, uneducated americans.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   

america has always been a slimy and corrupt country

america is full of some of the worst people alive

many americans are pittiful.

the most judgemental and fake people that could exist.

every foreigner ive ever met has only said bad things about americans

thanks for being another ignorant american

just how dumb some americans are

That which you are accusing others of (interolance, generalization) you do tenfold.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join