It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America is Sick

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by calihan_12

I dont understand ....what is your logic for this statement? pretty sure you just contradicted yourself. were bad for not learning a foreign language, and mexicans arent?

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by lucentenigma

Originally posted by calihan_12
not in my experiences. i think they are only distrusting if you act as a "typical" american. i always try to learn about someones culture and language so they see im at least trying to live life like they do, and not like some spoiled american.

other countries are usually only dangerous for americans if you LOOK and ACT like an american. ie wearing the same watch you wear in america.. wearing normal clothes... fannypacks.. you name it. if you look like you dont have money then they wont mess with you. you cant go to another country acting and looking the same way you do in america.

I would have to disagree with you, I have visited 8 European countries and not all at once I've been to Europe 6 times.

I have never changed who I am or pretend to be a native just to blend in. Why should I pretend to be something I'm not?

What does get you respected is trying to speak the native language. It doesn't matter if you can, just making an effort goes along way.

Many times I have went into a restaurant/shop with my phrase book open stumbling through the native language. Most of the time someone who speaks English will speak up and help me communicate. This has led to many friendships!

its very sad. america is full of some of the worst people alive, but they are good at lying and being fake. other countries might look evil, but at least they are upfront with their brutality. americans? nah, we can be as evil as they come, but we are very very good at hiding it.

You state how Americans are mostly fakes and liars, what would you call going to another country and pretending to be a native is?

I'll admit that you should always be respectful of another countries customs when visiting but being respectful. There is a big difference between being respectful and being a fake.

umm when did i say "you should pretend to be a native"? i said you should try and live like they do and not stay in the fancy resort on the beach. learn their language, even if you cant speak it that good. it shows them that you are at least trying. dont go there with wads of money and put it in their faces, they dont like that.

i never once said you have to be fake to visit a place. just dont be spoiled and respect the culture of the place you are visiting.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowMaster

ive met the most judgemental and fake people that could exist.. from the northwest, to the southwest, to the south, to the northeast.. its all the same

however, foreigners i have always met have been nothing short of real, sincere, and upfront.
[edit on 13-9-2009 by calihan_12]

I disagree that Foreigners are real, sincere and upfront- they are usually very literal that's is part of the language barrier that they have when they arrive here. I have too traveled all over the US and various places in the world. There are places ppl are not nice or down right distrusting...but you are going to find that in other countries as well. Doesn't matter where you end up. Maybe it is the way you come across?

not in my experiences. i think they are only distrusting if you act as a "typical" american. i always try to learn about someones culture and language so they see im at least trying to live life like they do, and not like some spoiled american.

other countries are usually only dangerous for americans if you LOOK and ACT like an american. ie wearing the same watch you wear in america.. wearing normal clothes... fannypacks.. you name it. if you look like you dont have money then they wont mess with you. you cant go to another country acting and looking the same way you do in america.

Listen to this person, this person speaks truth. As an Australian I know most of us here hate an American coming over to our country whinging about this or that not being as good as America, big-noting themselves and then wondering why a crowd of pissed off Aussies just put him or her in hospital. The sheer ignorance of some Americans is astounding at times - this comes from personal experience.

I would have to say that Americans are amongst the most distrusted and hated people when it comes to travelling abroad. This stems from the fact that some of you think you can stomp into another country and be treated like a god because you are American. I have personally witnessed this first hand at Sydney Airport Customs where an American was pulled aside to be searched and starting yelling things like "How dare you search me! I am American I should be trusted everywhere!". The bloke who was tasked with searching him looked like he wanted to bash the American's head in but he maintained a professional cool even when insulted and called a terrorist for not trusting him. I use this as merely one example from many I have seen myself and many more I have read or heard about.

Put simply, if you do not want to be hated when you go to another country, do not stomp in declaring you are American, how everything in this country is not as good as in America and expect some sort of god-like treatment just because you are American. This is a sure-fire way to be ignored and hated at best, and find yourself in some serious doo-doo at worst.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   

i didnt say i got rid of money.. what i did was give away most of my things, and work a normal, low paying job that made me much happier. i didnt live in the fanciest part of san diego anymore, but in the countryside of pennsylvania.

money blinds MANY americans, sorry to tell you.

Money blinds everybody, not just Americans. That's great that you did all that, but it doesn't change my opinion at all.

There are lots of people that have worked their way up from nothing are doing great things for people with the money they have earned and still have nice things.

If you live your life according to the way other people see you, you will never be happy. That is called being fake, living to the standards other people want you to live by, not saying that is what you are doing, but it sure does sound like it.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

Originally posted by ShadowMaster

ive met the most judgemental and fake people that could exist.. from the northwest, to the southwest, to the south, to the northeast.. its all the same

however, foreigners i have always met have been nothing short of real, sincere, and upfront.
[edit on 13-9-2009 by calihan_12]

I disagree that Foreigners are real, sincere and upfront- they are usually very literal that's is part of the language barrier that they have when they arrive here. I have too traveled all over the US and various places in the world. There are places ppl are not nice or down right distrusting...but you are going to find that in other countries as well. Doesn't matter where you end up. Maybe it is the way you come across?

Listen to this person, this person speaks truth. As an Australian I know most of us here hate an American coming over to our country whinging about this or that not being as good as America, big-noting themselves and then wondering why a crowd of pissed off Aussies just put him or her in hospital. The sheer ignorance of some Americans is astounding at times - this comes from personal experience.

I would have to say that Americans are amongst the most distrusted and hated people when it comes to travelling abroad. This stems from the fact that some of you think you can stomp into another country and be treated like a god because you are American. I have personally witnessed this first hand at Sydney Airport Customs where an American was pulled aside to be searched and starting yelling things like "How dare you search me! I am American I should be trusted everywhere!". The bloke who was tasked with searching him looked like he wanted to bash the American's head in but he maintained a professional cool even when insulted and called a terrorist for not trusting him. I use this as merely one example from many I have seen myself and many more I have read or heard about.

Put simply, if you do not want to be hated when you go to another country, do not stomp in declaring you are American, how everything in this country is not as good as in America and expect some sort of god-like treatment just because you are American. This is a sure-fire way to be ignored and hated at best, and find yourself in some serious doo-doo at worst.

AMEN. thank you
you said that perfectly.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   

its about the fact that other countries view americans as spoiled brats,

That goes for the whole Western world, not just America. Or is the rest of the west exempt from being spoiled?

who dont learn their language

What language? English? I think that most Americans know English. People tend to speak in dialects, not by the book.

Or are you talking about the rest of the world getting upset that Americans don't learn language x? It's not like the rest of the world speaks primo English and Americans should learn every other language in return.

and expect everyone to wait on them hand and foot. if you cant learn to live like them, they dont want you there.

The average American doesn't expect the world to wait on them hand and foot. That idea is silly. What is wrong with expecting a group of people to assimilate into the culture to some degree? Apparently, before the recent decades, those that came to America didn't mind it too much. In fact, they viewed it as essential!

No one is asking people to give up their culture completely. But, when you want to live in another country, there are just some things that you have to do, whether you like it or not. And I say this as someone that has immigrated to Germany. There are simply some things that I have to accept, and do, living here in Germany since I've entered and decided to live in another culture.

im pretty sure americans are the worst case of this. i dont know how many times ive heard "those damn mexicans shouldnt be here. they dont even speak our language" .

If you're going to fault Americans for desiring and not requiring immigrants to learn English, please doubly fault most European countries for requiring people to learn the language or to get out.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hastobemoretolife

i didnt say i got rid of money.. what i did was give away most of my things, and work a normal, low paying job that made me much happier. i didnt live in the fanciest part of san diego anymore, but in the countryside of pennsylvania.

money blinds MANY americans, sorry to tell you.

Money blinds everybody, not just Americans. That's great that you did all that, but it doesn't change my opinion at all.

There are lots of people that have worked their way up from nothing are doing great things for people with the money they have earned and still have nice things.

If you live your life according to the way other people see you, you will never be happy. That is called being fake, living to the standards other people want you to live by, not saying that is what you are doing, but it sure does sound like it.

well, in this world we live in it is looked down on to be poor. thats the truth. at least in america it is. it is looked up to, to be well off and have a respectable job. people who are homeless or who travel the country by foot are seen as losers, lazy etc.. when many times thats not the case. many of them are just trying to get out of the egotistical shell and live a free life with meaning and real experiences.

and you are right, many countries have extreme wealth, and they are the same way. no one said it makes it right.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

My wife and I have recently reached the conclusion that, unfortunately, it's the 1% of dumb Americans that are the ones that get to go abroad. It's a shame because it's those people that give 300 million people a bad name.

On the other hand, if your going to judge 300 million people based on the actions of a fraction of the populous...yeah, there is something wrong with that. I think you would see that the Americans that actually live abroad are quite different than those millionaires that travel.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by octotom
reply to post by Kryties

My wife and I have recently reached the conclusion that, unfortunately, it's the 1% of dumb Americans that are the ones that get to go abroad. It's a shame because it's those people that give 300 million people a bad name.

On the other hand, if your going to judge 300 million people based on the actions of a fraction of the populous...yeah, there is something wrong with that. I think you would see that the Americans that actually live abroad are quite different than those millionaires that travel.

... wow i dont know what to say. you criticize what i say.. and then say the same things ive been saying? alright, im at a loss for words now.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
ive been saying how other countries dont like spoiled americans.. and you say im just assuming and then you go and say the same thing about millionaires?

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

Your countrymates (or you for all I know) advocates mob violence against an individual... and then go on to say how other people are ignorant? Good show mate.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I agreed with you earlier, but not with this post.

well, in this world we live in it is looked down on to be poor. thats the truth.

No, America is now poor and that's the truth.

at least in america it is. it is looked up to, to be well off and have a respectable job.

No again, Unemployment is up dramatically, and you seem to think everyone has a "respectable job", maybe on tv, but in reality, no. I'll make it simple watch Dirty Jobs sometime.

people who are homeless or who travel the country by foot are seen as losers, lazy etc..

Lazy? No, homeless where I am are usually off the meds, and have completely lost it. I see more lazy "respectable" ppl.

[edit on 13-9-2009 by Tomis_Nexis]

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   

... wow i dont know what to say. you criticize what i say.. and then say the same things ive been saying? alright, im at a loss for words now.

No you stated that things are so horrible in America that you are going to move to India, there are people like you mentioned every single place in the world and in every country, but usually people don't pay any attention to them and go on about their business, but you put yourself out there as it being so a far spread problem that you have to move to another country, that is the difference.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by octotom
reply to post by Kryties

The point of my post is not to bag 300 million people into one basket. I am most certainly not that ignorant. As I said in my first post a few pages back I have a few American friends who live over here in Australia and have made an effort to assimilate into OUR culture. I even used to live with a young black bloke who I had an absolute ball with - he really is a top bloke.

I am mainly referring to those Americans who DO fall into the categories I describe above. I have seen examples of it in this thread alone, let alone littered all throughout ATS - and that's just a drop in the ocean. It's those people who ruin it for the rest of you, whether it be by inaction by the rest of you to curb it or simple ignorance that it is happening - nonetheless what I have said in my previous post is fact, sad as that may be.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   

wow i dont know what to say. you criticize what i say.. and then say the same things ive been saying? alright, im at a loss for words now.

No. You say, based on a few experiences, that most Americans are a pitiful breed. I on the other hand have said that it's wrong to say that a whole nation of people is bad and evil, though I have agreed, from the beginning, that there are people in America as you have described and I have gone on to say that it extends to the rest of the world not just America.

I then took it further to say that it is a shame that those "bad people", which I have acknowledged exist, are the ones that typically get to go abroad and give a bad name for the whole of the nation.

In other words, I have always believed that there are bigoted, "pitiful" people in America. I just don't believe that they're a good representation of the nations, like you do.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

reply to post by Resinveins

Actually perhaps they are simply tired of being treated like servants to the great Lord America when and an American chooses to travel. Don't even try to attempt to tell me that doesn't happen. Then when one of the misfits gets put in their place, the people that do it are called ignorant? I deal with Americans every day that come to New Orleans and tell me about what we should be doing for them since they decided to come here and put money into our local economy, I can only imagine how pompous they must act in another country!

Deny ignorance, let Americans rule the whole world and all will be well.

And that's not all of them but that chunk that is, it's too large.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

[edit on 9/13/09 by niteboy82]

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   

umm when did i say "you should pretend to be a native"?

i never once said you have to be fake to visit a place. just dont be spoiled and respect the culture of the place you are visiting.

I think you said it here:

other countries are usually only dangerous for americans if you LOOK and ACT like an american. ie wearing the same watch you wear in america.. wearing normal clothes... fannypacks.. you name it.

IMHO if I were to take of my watch go into a local store and buy local clothing, in others words try to blend in to hide that I'm American (like you suggest) I would be a fake.

Not the same as if I lived in a country for awhile and I started to adopt some of their culture as my own.

you cant go to another country acting and looking the same way you do in america.

Why not? I have and will continue to do so. I have many great experiences and lasting friendships.

Going into another country and changing the way I act and look is being a fake and liar IMO.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
well... they DO represent america. many americans who travel give us that bad name. the medias portrayal of america doesnt help either.

every foreigner ive ever met has only said bad things about americans. so you have to be the one who makes a good name for them. if you dont.. then dont talk about how you are such a great wonderful american.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by lucentenigma

you are obviously not understanding what im saying. when i said dont act like a typical american.. i was implying to not act like a spoiled brat.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by niteboy82

If putting someone in their place means mob violence on an individual... that most certainly is ignorant... and I don't care how unsavory the individual is.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join