It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America is Sick

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

We here in Australia started as a prison colony remember?

Weren't there Aborigine people already inhabiting Australia before Britain decided to shop all their convicts there?

But, on the same foot, maybe "every country" was a little broad, but for the most part every country has its roots founded in conquest.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

I was going to mention that, India has a horrible caste system.

The Indian caste system describes the social stratification and social restrictions in the Indian subcontinent, in which social classes are defined by thousands of endogamous hereditary groups, often termed as jātis or castes. Within a jāti, there exist exogamous groups known as gotras, the lineage or clan of an individual, although in a handful of sub-castes like Shakadvipi, endogamy within a gotra is permitted and alternative mechanisms of restricting endogamy are used (e.g. banning endogamy within a surname).

Caste system in India

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Edit: Double post

[edit on 13-9-2009 by lucentenigma]

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by calihan_12
ive met the most judgemental and fake people that could exist.. from the northwest, to the southwest, to the south, to the northeast.. its all the same

however, foreigners i have always met have been nothing short of real, sincere, and upfront.
[edit on 13-9-2009 by calihan_12]

I disagree that Foreigners are real, sincere and upfront (I do not mean all)- they are usually very literal that's is part of the language barrier that they have when they arrive here. I have too traveled all over the US and various places in the world. There are places ppl are not nice or down right distrusting...but you are going to find that in other countries as well. Doesn't matter where you end up. Maybe it is the way you come across?

edit:clarification.

[edit on 13-9-2009 by ShadowMaster]

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   

your views of other countries has been warped by the media it seems

That's a big problem some US citizens do NOT realize. Their media feeds them a lot of BS to make the country look and feel good, make the citizens happy that their country and only them are at the top of class. No matter if the info is true or not.

And yes Americans, every country does that, just not to the degree that you do.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowMaster

ive met the most judgemental and fake people that could exist.. from the northwest, to the southwest, to the south, to the northeast.. its all the same

however, foreigners i have always met have been nothing short of real, sincere, and upfront.
[edit on 13-9-2009 by calihan_12]

I disagree that Foreigners are real, sincere and upfront- they are usually very literal that's is part of the language barrier that they have when they arrive here. I have too traveled all over the US and various places in the world. There are places ppl are not nice or down right distrusting...but you are going to find that in other countries as well. Doesn't matter where you end up. Maybe it is the way you come across?

not in my experiences. i think they are only distrusting if you act as a "typical" american. i always try to learn about someones culture and language so they see im at least trying to live life like they do, and not like some spoiled american.

other countries are usually only dangerous for americans if you LOOK and ACT like an american. ie wearing the same watch you wear in america.. wearing normal clothes... fannypacks.. you name it. if you look like you dont have money then they wont mess with you. you cant go to another country acting and looking the same way you do in america.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by lucentenigma
reply to post by NightSkyeB4Dawn

Nice try with the racial baiting.

Most Americans are not sick, it is our government that is sick and broken.

I never said anywhere that Americans are sick though I am sure that some are.

I guess we see what we want to see.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by calihan_12

Or I have known people that have visited there too and went to the heart of India and reported back what actually happens there.

There you go assuming things about people again. Look the reason why it is a "humbling" place as you call it is because most of the country is poor. The poor people there really are poor, as in they don't have 52" flat screens in their section 8 housing and the likes.

Visiting other countries is very different from actually living there.

The difference between the bodies laying in the streets of America and in India, is that the bodies get cleaned up America, in India they just float down the river or lay there till the government gets around to cleaning it up.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
America is sick?

No, it's just that there is some gas seeping from the ground in DC that creates hallucinations and visions of self-importance.

My ancestors are Viking and American Indian.

Both were warlike, both were conquerors, both still exist.

My Indian ancestors pushed off the Old Ones that were there before them, and my white ancestors pushed off the Indians, after they were pushed out of Scotland and then Ireland.

My black friends were sold into slavery by their black tribal competitors and brought here.

Everybody is guilty of everything, and there's no damn sense in putting blame anywhere. Blame lies everywhere, and no one is better or worse than any other group.

So before we pitch a big-assed pity party, let me throw up.

America's problems arise from their elected elite.

Everyone else works stuff out just fine, and we'd be fine if everyone of those DC pricks would just let us alone.

I don't feel guilty about a damn thing.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hastobemoretolife

Or I have known people that have visited there too and went to the heart of India and reported back what actually happens there.

There you go assuming things about people again. Look the reason why it is a "humbling" place as you call it is because most of the country is poor. The poor people there really are poor, as in they don't have 52" flat screens in their section 8 housing and the likes.

The difference between the bodies laying in the streets of America and in India, is that the bodies get cleaned up America, in India they just float down the river or lay there till the government gets around to cleaning it up.

well... my boyfriend lived there for over a year, and he only talks about going back.

so no, its really not that different living there, if you learn to live the way they do and not as a typical american who cant survive in poor conditions.

who said having money is a good thing? i definitely dont think it is. i used to have a lot of money, and i got rid of all of my things because i realized i was blinded by money. i thought happiness was created through things you could buy and to realize the simple things in life are what matters was the best thing that ever happened to me.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Aside from the intitial post in this thread,the author is right.

I don't care if he/she is trolling,if so,they got a response/responses....

From a few self centered bigots who don't have the ability to look in the mirror and honestly see what is there in it,in front of them.

I'm not talking about everyone who replied,mind you,just most.

America is not number 1,America is not the best place to live in the world.

Americans live a fairy tale existence,never seeing the truth about themselves,or knowing enough about the truth to have an argument with anyone about their country's being right or wrong.

Just go on living in your dream world,and be quiet.

Practice for when you no longer have the right to express yourselves,as the author of the thread does have the right to do still.

Americans fight with everyone about everything,just quit.

Quit fightin' Kids.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
india isnt humbling because it is poor. i know the richest of the rich in india and the poorest of the poor.. and it has nothing to do with the money.

it is the way they live and view life. it is the fact that yes, it is dirty.. and it smells awful.. but when you are there you feel alive for once. you arent living in this artificial boring box, like america.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

LOL tell that to the aboriginal tribes. Oh wait... a lot of them are gone now... damn : /

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   

So what you are saying is I cant go to another country and be myself?

LOL and they think we're fake....troll on boxxy

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

This is very true. I have an acquaintance that visited me here in Germany over the the summer and now he wants to move here and live here, even though he was here for two week, on vacation. Apparently, two weeks is enough to actually get a good enough grip on how life is in a country to make such as big decision! [He doesn't realize that cultural adjustment is often a hard thing.]

Here in Germany there is a TV show where they follow people that are emigrating from Germany. Sometimes, the families will go to non-first world countries and then they end up coming back to Germany because life wasn't as easy, nor at all like they expected it to be.

Earlier is was said how someone is tired about all they ever hear about is America, America, America. I thought about that and I came to the realization that, if your news is only talking about America, is that America's fault or the news station? In a fifteen minute news broadcast here, America will get mentioned for about 90 seconds. The newspaper here doesn't carry American news and politics a whole lot either.

As for American business' being in other countries, you could stop going to those businesses and tell others to stop too. If they're not getting money, they'll leave. I find it very funny how those in other countries get upset with American businesses in their lands when Americans don't get too bent out of shape when they drive by an Aldi or a VW dealership or something.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Remixtup

So what you are saying is I cant go to another country and be myself?

LOL and they think we're fake....troll on boxxy

its about the fact that other countries view americans as spoiled brats, who dont learn their language and expect everyone to wait on them hand and foot. if you cant learn to live like them, they dont want you there.

im pretty sure americans are the worst case of this. i dont know how many times ive heard "those damn mexicans shouldnt be here. they dont even speak our language" .

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   

who said having money is a good thing? i definitely dont think it is. i used to have a lot of money, and i got rid of all of my things because i realized i was blinded by money. i thought happiness was created through things you could buy and to realize the simple things in life are what matters was the best thing that ever happened to me.

And that is your problem right there, your idea of they way people should live their lives is different from other peoples.

You're no doubt entitled to your opinion, but that is exactly what it is your opinion. You also come off as an elitist. Saying you haven't ever been happier since you sold all your stuff is an indication that you are a very selfish person.

Just because you "had" money at some point in your life and the only way you could find happiness is by selling all your stuff speaks volumes about you. If I had a bunch of cash I would find constructive ways to use the money for other peoples benefit, like the philanthropist that when and invested a lot of money in Africa to create jobs for those people.

Money isn't the problem its the person with the money that is the problem. You said what you don't like about America, but your statement that I quoted just proves to me you are exactly the kind of person that you don't like.

[edit on 13-9-2009 by Hastobemoretolife]

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by NightSkyeB4Dawn

Well, while I cannot agree with you about the country hating Obama because he is black, like I have stated many time before I think it is because he is not doing anything other than give speeches.

We do not need a leader who talks the talk, and never walks the walk.

If Obama would actually do more than give good speeches, I think America would be behind him.

Myself included.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
i didnt say i got rid of money.. what i did was give away most of my things, and work a normal, low paying job that made me much happier. i didnt live in the fanciest part of san diego anymore, but in the countryside of pennsylvania.

money blinds MANY americans, sorry to tell you.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   

not in my experiences. i think they are only distrusting if you act as a "typical" american. i always try to learn about someones culture and language so they see im at least trying to live life like they do, and not like some spoiled american.

other countries are usually only dangerous for americans if you LOOK and ACT like an american. ie wearing the same watch you wear in america.. wearing normal clothes... fannypacks.. you name it. if you look like you dont have money then they wont mess with you. you cant go to another country acting and looking the same way you do in america.

I would have to disagree with you, I have visited 8 European countries and not all at once I've been to Europe 6 times.

I have never changed who I am or pretend to be a native just to blend in. Why should I pretend to be something I'm not?

What does get you respected is trying to speak the native language. It doesn't matter if you can, just making an effort goes along way.

Many times I have went into a restaurant/shop with my phrase book open stumbling through the native language. Most of the time someone who speaks English will speak up and help me communicate. This has led to many friendships!

its very sad. america is full of some of the worst people alive, but they are good at lying and being fake. other countries might look evil, but at least they are upfront with their brutality. americans? nah, we can be as evil as they come, but we are very very good at hiding it.

You state how Americans are mostly fakes and liars, what would you call going to another country and pretending to be a native is?

I'll admit that you should always be respectful of another countries customs when visiting. Although there is a big difference between being respectful and being a fake.

[edit on 13-9-2009 by lucentenigma]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join