It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ACORN fights back

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Link here
www.acorn.org...

The relentless attacks on ACORN's members, its staff and the policies and positions we promote are unprecedented. An international entertainment conglomerate, disguising itself as a "news" agency (Fox), has expended millions, if not tens of millions of dollars, in their attempt to destroy the largest community organization of Black, Latino, poor and working class people in the country. It is not coincidence that the most recent attacks have been launched just when health care reform is gaining traction. It is clear they've had these tapes for months.

We are their Willy Horton for 2009. We are the boogeyman for the right-wing and its echo chambers. If ACORN did not exist, the right-wing would have needed to create us in order to achieve their agenda, their missions, their ideal, retrograde America. This recent scam, which was attempted in San Diego, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, Philadelphia to name a few places, had failed for months before the results we've all recently seen. I am appalled and angry; I cannot and I will not defend the actions of the workers depicted in the video, who have since been terminated. But it is clear that the videos are doctored, edited, and in no way the result of the fabricated story being portrayed by conservative activist "filmmaker" O'Keefe and his partner in crime. And, in fact, a crime it was - our lawyers believe a felony - and we will be taking legal action against Fox and their co-conspirators.

We will not be intimidated by this international conglomerate, which has made as its mission the destruction of our organization. ACORN members are committed to the empowerment of their communities - Black, Latino, poor, and working class – at the deepest level. We are an organization committed to halting the foreclosure crisis and keeping people in their homes. We are an organization committed to ensuring quality, affordable health care for every American. We are an organization that will not be stopped in our commitment to our members and our communities which has included:

Helping hundreds of thousands of African-American and Latino voters register to vote and get to the polls in recent years;
Preparing, since 2004, approximately 150,000 free tax returns totaling $190 million in refunds and increased earned income tax credit participation;
Providing effective foreclosure prevention advocacy saving thousands of American families from losing their homes to foreclosure.

-mods, forgive and delete if already posted somewhere.

I have been following this story (stories) for some time now. You may already know, I'm no fan of Obama, but I thought I'd give the ACORN organization equal time, as it were, and this is what they have come out with.

They have fired 4 people. But that's it. As of this morning, they are planning a lawsuit against FOXNEWS will try to find that information.

[edit on 13-9-2009 by mikerussellus]

[edit on 13-9-2009 by mikerussellus]

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I didn't see anywhere where they say they are going to review their own policies and procedures and training of their workers, not a mention of possibly cleaning up their house a bit, and try to change how they do things more let's say within the law...

I see they have immediately went straight to the big bad cable news FOX, and surprise!! pulled that worn out race card to try and get some people riled up.

Broken record comes to mind, I sure hope someone in Congress calls for an investigation and review of their status as an entity that qualifies for federal taxpayer dollars.

Citizens/voters are watching & waiting.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

I know! This is what blows my mind about the whole issue. They state that the videos have been edited. How? I really have a hard time trying to listen to people who are this outrageous.

4 People fired. 4. No managers, trainers, nothing.

If you get a bad hamburger in McDonalds there is a shake-up from management on down. Here?

They sue the people that broke the story.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 08:20 AM
link   
and serena williams never said "that" to the line judge!no accountability.no responsibility for there actions.van johnson was targeted,gates was arrested for reasons other than his own ignorance and obama's presidency is in shambles because we're all racist.See a pattern here?

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

It's easier to cast the blame on the people breaking the story than to train your people to deal ethically. It's easier to sue Fox, then to make sure your employees give no reason to be investigated...

Easier to be unethical, than to be ethical...apparently.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by genius/idoit

Thanks for replying. Hypocracy does about, was going to try to find a causal link between Gates and this but you beat me to it!

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by seagull

It goes to the society we live in anymore.

Watch the MSM report this now as a slander issue against poor ACORN from FOX. When did this happen? When did this become the norm? What there a switch thrown somewhere that gave unethical issues like this credibility?

I can't see into the future, but I see this getting legs, now. They are going to obfuscate the issue and ignore the more basic meat of the matter.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Not to mention the possible criminal charges against the two who captured the corruption...

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   
oh yeah charlie rangle "forgot' he owned those houses,cars and all that money too.Happens to me all the time.

[edit on 13-9-2009 by genius/idoit]

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

So, if you break a story on how a community organization is helping under-aged prostitute ring get a house, you go to jail?

Heck, why not label them domestic terrorists and send them to GITMO?

Maybe Obama can sit down with them at the White House and have a beer? Oh, wait, the reporter is only 20.

-sheesh-

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   

But that's just a local law or( maybe national)if he can disregard the constitution on a daily basis,what's the big deal about a drinking age law?Allah Akbar obama!

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Sign of the times...too true.

Blame the messenger, which is precisely what is happening...

How dare those three people investigate us? ...and have the temerity to uncover wrong doings? How dare they...

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by genius/idoit
and serena williams never said "that" to the line judge!no accountability.no responsibility for there actions.van johnson was targeted,gates was arrested for reasons other than his own ignorance and obama's presidency is in shambles because we're all racist.See a pattern here?

I am only making an observation (and someone like MikeRussell, please, tell me if I'm out in left field here), but what you just said seems "racial". If you only bring up blacks and minorities and point out their flaws in issues that is non-relevant to acorn (see Serena Williams comment to line judge) it does appear as if there is a "colored" lens to the glasses you're wearing.

I am white and I will be honest enough to say that I have white associates who, when blacks are not around, will say offhand comments that stereotype or demean blacks and Latinos. I had a friend the other day who could not buy a certain car because it had become a "black" car. Coach bags had become "ghetto couture". Someone saw a Latino running across the street and made a comment about her looking like she was running across the border.

If I had a nickel for every time I've hear some white person say: "Blacks are always looking for a handout" I'd be rich by now.

The worst part of it is that all of the people that say this stuff have black friends, would give those black friends the shirt off their backs, but in their head those black friends are "exceptions" to this rule.

Yes, the prejudice goes both ways. I know this, but at some point if we want others to accept our flaws we must accept theirs. Then we can start over.

ACORN is a political organization no different than the Tea Party folks. I've heard some of the Tea Party people speak of ACORN people and it was just as pleasant as what you heard from ACORN.

I just want to put it out there that maybe we should be engaging in dialog to figure out what they want, what the spirit of what they want is, and then see where there is a compromise. No one in Congress or the White House is going to do anything really drastic to provoke change. If there is a Health Care bill passed that bill will put more money in the hands of the insurance companies contracting to the Fed and the pharms in contract, and it will be so Byzantine in structure that it will take lawyers to understand it.

It is not ACORN that is the problem, or the Tea Party folks. It is those reprehensible slugs in Congress.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   

I always thought that Bizarro world was just something from a comic book...

I am having to reassess my position

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by genius/idoit

But that's just a local law or( maybe national)if he can disregard the constitution on a daily basis,what's the big deal about a drinking age law?Allah Akbar obama!

It is Gates, but on a much larger scale. Wonder when Obama is going to comment on the stupidity of reporters?

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by A Fortiori

"ACORN is a political organization no different than the Tea Party folks"

I am sorry but it is not. My tax dollars didn't fund the Tea Party folks. Fraud, prostitution, tax evasion, voter fraud. ACORN must GO.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   

It is interesting that Van Jones, Gates, ACORN all deal with minorities. I'm not afraid to point out racial issues if they occur and have been outspoken on racial bias, especially lately. Maybe there is a racial compenent here.

Could it be that with the case dismissal of the Black Panthers during the election, Gates getting national attention for his poor bahaviour, Van Jones and his outrageous behaviour, and ACORN with their obscene behaviour are thinking that they can get away with more simply because we have a black man as president?

It would then lead to the theory that THEY are in fact, utilizing race and misusing the politically correct mind-set that has frozen any honest opposition.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by ohioriver

"ACORN is a political organization no different than the Tea Party folks"

I am sorry but it is not. My tax dollars didn't fund the Tea Party folks. Fraud, prostitution, tax evasion, voter fraud. ACORN must GO.

Check out what grants some of the Tea Party organizations received. Yes, your tax dollars, too.

This was my fear that I pointed out on another thread. The moment you start taking money from large groups or government grants you run the risk of becoming just another piece in the partisan puzzle.

However, my original point is that there is some underlying racism going on that is going to hurt your cause. If you don't agree with ACORN and you want people to listen to you, quit with the racial jokes and the Muslim swipe at Obama.

If you don't you are misrepresenting your ideas and making the people who also are anti-ACORN and not playing the race game look bad.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikerussellus

It is interesting that Van Jones, Gates, ACORN all deal with minorities. I'm not afraid to point out racial issues if they occur and have been outspoken on racial bias, especially lately. Maybe there is a racial compenent here.

Could it be that with the case dismissal of the Black Panthers during the election, Gates getting national attention for his poor bahaviour, Van Jones and his outrageous behaviour, and ACORN with their obscene behaviour are thinking that they can get away with more simply because we have a black man as president?

It would then lead to the theory that THEY are in fact, utilizing race and misusing the politically correct mind-set that has frozen any honest opposition.

Ahhh, MikeRussell, but do you not see where you can point all of their flaws out without playing the race card? It does not need to be said in order to get your point across, and if it is not said you are removing their argument against you giving more power to your own.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Disagree. They are using race as an issue to inhibit any honest debate, investigation to their actions.

I can say they are corrupt. I can show proof they are corrupt.

They respond by crying "foul", it is racism. They purposly obfuscate the issue, deflecting the real importance of the case against them.

Can you, on any level, defend their actions?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join