It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worthwhile survival equipment part 1 - A List of what you really need

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Quick/short on me - I am an ex-Army sniper, a "survivalist" and a current paramedic.
I am putting this list up for those that are confused at what to get/what they REALLY need for a survival situation. I'll start with the 1st things you need to think about and get and then add from there. In other words the first things you need to spend your money on and get before you spend money on a "multi-tool" and think you are going to survive somehow with that.

1) CLOTHING - Proper clothing. If you don't have this, you are going to go hypothermic or hyperthermic and it won't matter what survival stuff you have. For short term, like the typical 3 day survival situation, it should not be to hard for you to know what you need to wear depending on your areas weather conditions.
For long term survival though, you need -
A warm waterproofed parka w/ hood, wool cap and/or balaclava, insulated waterproofed gloves, insulated waterproofed boots, 3 pairs of socks, 3 pairs of underwear/t-shirts, 1 pair of insulated underwear or bodygear, raingear, 1 cargo pockets shorts, 1 cargo pockets long pants.
This is the minimum clothing you should have, more is up to you. But remember, the lighter the load you are carrying the better.
*I use the 5.11 brand "Aggressor" parka which is a 3 in 1 system (has a fleece), and I use a Colombia brand rain suit. If you buy the 5.11 Aggressor, shop around online as some sites sell these a lot cheaper then others. I got my on LAPolicegear.com. Got the rain gear at Modells.

2) WATER - A water carrying system of some type. Either 2 - 32 oz. bottles, canteens, or a 100 oz water bladder like a camelbak type. With that you should have a 2% iodine tincture bottle for water purification (it has a very long shelf life compared to purification tablets). An empty 1 - 2 gallon foldable water container for when you might find water and at least 3 foot of clear tube to suck water out of small places, rocks, trees, etc. as it may be the only water you find here and there depending on where you are at.
*I carry the 2% iodine, an adventurer steri-pen with a solar charger case and water purification tabs. I store my water in a 100 oz camelbak bladder carried on my back with removable drinking tube (it fits into my back pack and most of my gear is in my lumbar pack). I then have a very lightweight 2 gallon foldable water container I found on bestglide.com (which is where I get the majority of my gear). The 2% iodine you can get easily from a CVS pharmacist or the like.
**I also have the NATO system canteen/cooking combo which all fits around the canteen, (I forget exactly what the offical name for the system is but I got that on bestglide.com also).

3) FIRE - carry at least 3 sources.
*I carry 5 sources. I carry a cheap adjustable bic lighter, a weather/wind proof Bruton lighter, NATO weatherproof matches, a small mag. block w/ striker and the smaller of the two "blast match" strikers that is made by Survival Technologies (which you only need one hand to use). I also carry the wet tinder made by survival technologies to make it easy to get a fire going, especially if it is raining or wet.

4) SURVIVAL KNIFE - A good one. Not the kind Rambo uses, that's for the movies. Bigger is not better for survival. Your blade should ideally be between 3 - 5 inches as this is the length that is best suited for survival tasks. It needs to be a fixed blade (not folding) and full tang is best. It should have a strong end on the handle for hammering also. also the handle should fit your hand nice and not have to many bumps sticking out it if any.
*I use a Gerber LMF infantry knife and feel that it is a near perfect survival knife (except that it is a bit heavier then I would prefer it to be). The LMF's sheath also has a built in sharpener. For kicks I also have a bigger knife which is a K-Bar Tanto which has about an 8 inch blade. the Tanto is more a "protection" knife then it would be a survival knife though.

CONT. Below

[edit on 13-9-2009 by GregoNow]

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 01:22 AM
link   
CONT. from above -

5) SHELTER - This is a personal choice from tarps, full tents, teepees, hammock systems, etc. I think lightweight here. You'll also need a sleeping bag and/or system which can be very lightweight like the AMK's Thermolite bag which is like a space blanket sleeping bag and weighs next to nothing or all the way up to a sleeping bag system that is good all the way down to 40 or more below 0.
* I carry an GoLITE ShagraLa tarp and the GoLITE ShangraLa Bug set up that goes in it. No more then 3 lbs total and very good protection all around. Got them at basegear.com which is where I get the majority of my "camp" type gear. Good prices and excellent selection of camp stuff and more. i also carry AMK's Thermolite sleeping bag mentioned above.

6) FOOD - You should carry dehydrated foods (like Alpine Aires brand). They are light as you can get for carrying. Never carry a bunch of cans. Do not eat MRES long term. Trust me I would have to eat them for 8 days straight in the field playing war games when I was in the Army stationed in Korea...and you WILL get constipated. You should carry a rat trap (for small game), snare wire and a mini survival fishing kit. The fishing kit and snare wire you can get once again where I got mine on bestglide.com
A good sling shot or wrist rocket type slingshot, never ending supply of ammo and can kill small to medium size game for food (even big game if you are good with it).
* I carry the Alpine Aires foods and also The Mainstay 3600 calorie survival bars which are broken into 400 calorie squares and have a 5 year shelf life. I then carry the "standard" survival fishing kit and snare wire that bestglide sells. Rat trap you can get where ever.

Last here for this thread of PART 1, you will of course need a BAG to carry everything. This is covered in another post on here by another member so I do not want to rehash it all here. I did state at that thread though that I myself use Badlands packs as they are ultra tough, ultra lightweight and come with a lifetime no questions asked garauntee. I use the Ultraday back pack and the Monster lumbar back both by Badlands. I can do a whole 3 day survival load in the monster back alone and it's a lumbar back which leaves my back free. The Ultraday pack is more for my longer term survival equipment and some more clothes, as well as the Ultraday has a water reservoir for a water bladder. Google Badlands packs for their website to see what's good for you.

These are the 6 basic things (and a bag) you NEED to first think about and get before you think about getting anything else like multi-tools, guns, fancy "survival" toys, etc. which are the last things you need to think about getting if you truly want to survive.

Now that being said, tomorrow night I am going to continue this thread with PART 2 the other "secondary" stuff you really should have/get and then I will add PART 3 - the stuff you can think about after you cover the basics. The cool, fun "do I even need this stuff?".
Like the fact that when boredom sets in (after you've been out a week in the rough trying to survive the "pole shift" that killed all those not prepared) how you can actually play the PSP and iPod you stuffed in you bag and never run out of power to keep them going!

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Awesome thread man! I like sportsmenguide.com..been getting thier catlogues since i was 15, and they always have affordable stuff! i like their selection of boots better..

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by GregoNow

I'd like to add one thing I haven't seen on other threads. Bar/s of PURE soap and no not for washing ether,, strictly for first aid only. A friend put me on to this about 15 years ago and it's the best antiseptic I have ever come across.
First, clean your wound the best you can with water. Shave the soap and add a small amount of water, just enough to make a paste. Grit your teeth and push the soap paste into and around the wound. then bandage,, check every 12-24hrs.
Note: the bandage can be basically anything although cotton is the best and it doesn't have to be sterile, provided you use enough soap.
Excellent for infected wounds as well and will aid in fast healing time......

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 05:16 AM
link   
S&F for you

looking forward to parts 2&3

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Awesome thread, very well done! I know your insight will be
invaluable to many, including myself. Unfortunately, i don't
have the ability to upgrade any of my gear at present but
would like to trade up for a better pack (like the badlands)
when I can.

On that count I would say that the internal frame packs are
superior in my mind to the exterior type. they just seem so
much more comfortable and offer better camo qualities (no
shiny frameparts showing).

Being ex-sniper I'm sure that you also choose your gear for
visual considerations as well - do you have a preferred camo
pattern or colors? Also what terrain would you think you
might be operating in?

Along that line of questioning what firearms would you choose
and what setup on each? Not that many of us can afford to
build a true sniper weapon and frankly unless you can train
extensively with it there's no sense in even having one.

Any pictures of your gear that would be great
too. i think pictures really bring home certain ideas to people
which is why I photo'd my b.o.b. for my thread.
Really well written thread. S&F! I hope you can find time to
do some more as it's much appreciated sir!.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 08:00 AM
link   
On the subject of fire I would strongly suggest carrying a few Magnesium Fire Starter's Their cheap easy to use, as long as you make paper thin slices, and can help you spark green or wet tinder in a pinch...

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Just to answer all your questions here in one post...soap and first aid kit as well as other things are going to be cover in PART 2 as I consider them secondary to the main 6 I listed in PART 1, secondary does not mean you do not need them, it just mean that without the 1st 6 things I listed in part 1, you chances of survival are slim. Without the secondary stuff I'll list in part 2, you can still survive though. again I do feel the secondary stuff i'll list in Part 2 should be carried after you purchase the 1st 6 which are mandatory.
As far as weapons I am going to list them in PART 3 as I feel they are the last things you need to spend money on if you do not have the things in part 1 and the soon to be listed part 2. I'll list my personal choices but everyone is going to like whatever weapons they like anyway.
I work as a medic and i am writing all this while i am at work in my office and not on the ambulance with a patient, so i will be writing part 2 of this thread tonight later on, and part 3 I will probably be writing on wed. night when I am back in work. I work 6pm to 6am.
Also i did list that i carry a mag. block fire starter as one of my 5 sources of fire (you don't need to carry 5 sources, however you should carry a min. of 3 sources of fire).
If I miss something any of you feel is important, of course feel free to add, but remember i still have parts 2 and 3 to add to this thread yet.
hopefully it is slow tonight and I'll write part 2 up...should be able to.
As far as pics. I can put pics of my equipment up, but I have to take some pics of it all first..maybe i can do that tomorrow when i am off work.
Question though, how to I post pics up here?

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Cool thread- I have a 5th wheel camper stored in a small town about 50 miles North west outside the City I live in (Houston) Its in a storage Facility. I have food and water, clothing and all other types of Survival goodies for camping and survival. Even empty extra gas cans for 60 Gallons. V8 sucks gas Pulling a trailer. With a full tank and this back up I can get 1000 miles away.

I go camping about once in 6-8 weeks (weather depending). I have it all set up to run off gas as well as electric. Small solar panel for lighting. I’m thinking of getting bigger panels to set up once I’ve stopped at my camp point. Maybe it’ll power a small fridge or some other electrical items.

I store a lot of long life foods and replace them before the expiry date if I don’t eat them.

I do have a Military style back pack and a small tent stored in the trailer in the event I have to leave the trailer and Bush whack it.

I have cash on me at all times because you never know what event you going to have to survive from. If we have economic crash or power outages your bank cards are no good. Then you cannot buy anything extra from you have now. That’s no big deal but I’d rather have cash so I can stock up extra stuff once I hit the road.

In the event of something bad happening I’ve planned on an initial 1 year survival period- I do have food for about 3 months and water for a month in the trailer. Maybe longer, Depending on how much I drink and use. But the year I’m talking about it the extra stuff I’ll buy once I’ve High tailed it out the City. After the year it’ll be living off the land.

My strategy is kinda different from most Hard Core survival enthusiasts, I just choose to start “camping style” first then when the time comes to move on and leave that behind so be it.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
also, just to add, don't worry about what type of bag you currently have as long as it is comfortable for you to carry. Make sure to spray waterproofing on it and make sure to carry a plastic bag of some sort that you can fit over it if you have to go through a river, lake or some type of water.
as far as camo. it is actually better in a surv. situation to not use camo if you are in an "urban" setting. It draws the attention of people who are in a panic while you are trying bug out of there. they may see a camo bag thats full and figure you are prepared and then try to rob you.
Unfortunately, Badlands (the packs i use) do not make any in black or solid colors or that is what i would get. As it is, they use two differnet camo types, not sure off hand on the names, but i use the one that is more the darker/browner camo as i feel it fits in better with more types of foliage and weather conditions/times of the year. I do not use any of the dark, bright green camo color bags they sell...that camo actually looks "cooler" but is less practical for camo purposes in the long run.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Actually "sharkbait" you think like i do and i agree with your set up as it is a very smart way to go and the way i am setting up fully eventually.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I just like my comform man. Tv & all. but i can Ruff it -been there done it in the service.

It's also a good way to have lots of supplies initially when you had off. No need to Ruff it from the get go if there is no need.

I also keep it out the city incase we have a shut down or cannot get out the city. I can always hike 50 miles and get another towing vehicle, or pick up the back pack gear and hit the bush roads if i cannot get another tow vehicle.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Hey all,
I am really sorry, but I have been really busy on the job, so I have not been able to finish with part 2. This weekend there is no way I have time to finish with part 2. I am going to post part 2 on Mon. night though and then hopefully part 3 on tues. night.
Sorry just to busy right now.
G

PS. I still need someone to tell how I post pics on here so I can show you the equipment I have, etc.
Thanks

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Good post but why are you putting down multi tools?

No-one ever suggested just carrying JUST a multi tool, right?

Seems like some of you guys (and you must be guys to be so arrogant) have got an axe to grind....

None the less, good post. Good ideas for gear but would be a lot better with a decent MULTI TOOL as an EXTRA!

[edit on 8-10-2009 by Stanton Dowd]

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   

6) FOOD - You should carry dehydrated foods (like Alpine Aires brand). They are light as you can get for carrying. Never carry a bunch of cans. Do not eat MRES long term. Trust me I would have to eat them for 8 days straight in the field playing war games when I was in the Army stationed in Korea...and you WILL get constipated. You should carry a rat trap (for small game), snare wire and a mini survival fishing kit. The fishing kit and snare wire you can get once again where I got mine on bestglide.com

I'd only add

1) Never eat this food when you can forage.

2) You need fat for energy as well as protein. I carry sardines and oysters in oil, as well as tuna. Dont let the oil go to waste. Yeah, it's heavier but it's worth it. I make my own MREs.

3) Only pack dehydrated foods if you have potable water to spare.

Good thread.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Not to rain on your parade bud..but since you started this thread stating that you were a Army Sniper, that brings credibility to this thread, or we should sit up and listen a little closer because of that…?

Moi? (You Ask)
1/75 Ranger Regiment (Airborne)
Fort Stewart, Georgia, ( Hunter Army Air Field) 1977 to 1984

11B20R with A “V’ Identifier

1/503 Parachute Infantry Battalion (Airborne) “The Rock”
101st Airborne Division
Sgt/E-5 Recon Platoon (LURRPS)
Fort Campbell, Kentucky

L-Troop 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment (Brave Rifles)
“Rolling Thunder”
Fort Bliss, Texas

Are you impressed now?

This thread has been hashed over and over, many times. There’s really nothing new here, just a couple of twists on old tricks.

Appreciate it though. Good thought pattern, good ideas, wrong execution

Does that make me sound…cynical ?

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by GregoNow

PS. I still need someone to tell how I post pics on here so I can show you the equipment I have, etc.
Thanks

I'm new here, but it's the same way you upload an avatar.

On the toolbar, click on "member tools" then on "my pictures". Upload them from there.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Great Bag.
These are my deviations.

Personally I bring A fanny pack as well.
I change whats is in there or use it for according to the situation.
There are cheap, so you can cache them around.
(I cache... so I have buckets all over the place)

salt
Cloves.
Green tea

Vitamins and Nutrients(most people don't)
(repackaged)
Chlorella and Spirulina in powder form
A 5 way metabolism booster
Vitamin C
A variety of vacuum packed health store items that are either medicinal or nutritional in nature in small quantities.
A small container of lard or bacon grease.

A bag of mixed fast sprouting seeds
[I only need a couple MRE's]

A spool of kevlar thread.
The one rated for 220 lbs.

A folding saw preloaded with extra blades

A couple of dollar store door alarms or personal alarms.

One of these.

Some solder

A half inch thick lathe turned ash spindle with carefully wound layers of Saran wrap and tin foil that runs down the other side of the inside my bag.
A USB pen drive(loaded)
A mini bluetooth USB transceiver .(dime size)
A couple little electronic thingies(with mini Usb ports) I made that are rechargeable with A modified solar/hand crank.
A modified multi-tool

Wierd huh lol

[edit on 8-10-2009 by The Utopian Penguin]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by The Utopian Penguin

Crikey penguin!!!!

I'm amazed you adimit to going so hi tech!!!

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Stanton Dowd

I don't have a problem with technology at all

I mod EVERYTHING !!

This guy made A nice unit.
www.kokes.net...

[edit on 9-10-2009 by The Utopian Penguin]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join