It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is wrong with the Internet Today

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I just reloaded my computer today, with an image for my surfing computer, a complete wipe and reboot. I use XML backup, it takes 3 minutes to wipe my computer and reset to a perfect system. Absolutely no chance of contamination.

It is a xp pro sp2 with all fresh and clean software for just surfing. No possibility of viruses or trojans. I have 2 systems-1 for surfing and this # for communicating with my fellow theorists and 1 for work. Why is all the internet wracked with problems today? Hell even ATS had problems with loading their main pages.

I have seen Joe Wilson's video hacked to the point that 4 out of 5 comments just disappear. That is a fact.

I have been surfing social networks that I am a member of and the loading speed not to mention trying to contact or comment on their threads just does not work. FB is messed up, Digg is messed up, YouTube is messed up, am I wrong? Do any of you have any quirks with your searches?

I googled estimates on crowd estimates for 9/12 in Washington and the search returns crap like KKK/9/12 nazi.........

Have we just entered the twilight zone of the NWO!

[edit on 9/12/2009 by endisnighe]

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Can someone explain to me how one places threads or posts to a specific area?

I thought that if you post or start thread on a new thread it would be placed on the New Thread arena. Or at least Moderators place me in the direction of how this site works. Captain is my friend and I hope the Captain is yours. LOL

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by endisnighe
I just reloaded my computer today, with an image for my surfing computer, a complete wipe and reboot. I use XML backup, it takes 3 minutes to wipe my computer and reset to a perfect system. Absolutely no chance of contamination.

An xml image of a hard drive? Now that doesn't make any sense at all if you know anything at all about xml. And if you do restore from an image, there is always the problem of the problem being in the image. Even saw it with a government department.. the could not understand why their new computers out of the box were infected with spyware. Turned out the spyware was on the computer used ro originally make the install image (and a big name PC supplier to that you would all recognize). oops.

It is a xp pro sp2 with all fresh and clean software for just surfing. No possibility of viruses or trojans. I have 2 systems-1 for surfing and this # for communicating with my fellow theorists and 1 for work. Why is all the internet wracked with problems today? Hell even ATS had problems with loading their main pages.

Windows. Well that pretty much targets the problem source. Generally fresh and clean windows systems last a couple fo minutes before they are attacked and infested unless you take real good security measures.

I have seen Joe Wilson's video hacked to the point that 4 out of 5 comments just disappear. That is a fact.

I have been surfing social networks that I am a member of and the loading speed not to mention trying to contact or comment on their threads just does not work. FB is messed up, Digg is messed up, YouTube is messed up, am I wrong? Do any of you have any quirks with your searches?

Totally problems? None. And those social networking sights are the computer equivalent of unprotected sex with a five dollar hooker.

I googled estimates on crowd estimates for 9/12 in Washington and the search returns crap like KKK/9/12 nazi........

Have we just entered the twilight zone of the NWO!

Please. The "Internet" is not the problem, your computer is.

[edit on 13-9-2009 by metamagic]

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by metamagic

Ok, for one thing, a fresh install has no viruses or trojans. I am talking about, before even connecting to the internet image. Do you know what I mean? Yes I do have my work computer totally setup than my surfing computer. Yes MS sucks but I know it like the back of my hand.

XML drive backup is a software. You use it to back up your HDD at a point in time, my surfing computer is backed up at the point of no internet connection. No possibility of little nasties. Yes, I know social networks are bad, that is why my main computer never goes internet and I use the Image software on my surfer.

And what I was trying to say with the info I gave, was that their was no possibility that it was my computer. But assholes will be assholes. I was trying to escape the bull# artists that tend to think they know everything but I guess you know everything.

Wow, anyway what I was trying to say is I have never seen the slow down of the internet info like I have today.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 01:50 AM
link   
i have been having lots of problems with fox news. (not that this is a bad thing!!)

i like to surf the news sites daily but fox is causing explorer to freeze.

weird.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Thank you.
Have you noticed anything irregular in your searches.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

Please use decourm when expressing colorful language in your posts.

Certain words written out are not acceptable here at ATS.

Using a$$#ls or some such is acceptable.
Thank You

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

FoxNews has a lot of images and banners, not to mention ads so that would explain why its slowing and possibly crashing your firefox/internet explorer browser. Also if you have multiple tabs open and then jump on a massive multimedia-filled page like foxnews or myspace- your bound to have problems.I would try clearing your cache and cookies too...just sweep your whole browser. Graphic/multimedia-filled sites normally slow things down a bit...not that uncommon.

As for the OP- I'm assuming you have cable/broadband? Could be network issues...Are you on a wireless network or the hub computer hosting the network? Number of factors can play into your net speed but ultimately your ISP could be to blame. If you've noticed a drop in overall computer speed- bugs are always a possibility and probability.

Also- start up programs and programs running in the background will affect your browsing/surfing indefinitely....check whats running if you've restored your p.c. to factory settings as all that trial software and unnecessary programs are included in that clean installation. If you've brought material over then I suggest scanning all items you've transferred over as theres always that possibility that somethings infected and you've just transferred it.

[edit on 9/13/2009 by AceOfAces]

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Switch to Firefox you dummies. Internet Explorer is a crap browser and makes browsing the web a slow, laggy experience filled with banner ads everywhere.

Firefox + Adblock and you will never want to go back to that, I guarantee it! Every site I visit loads in probably less than a second and Im on a adsl line. Nothing is slow or choppy.

[edit on 13-9-2009 by Copernicus]

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 07:42 AM
link   
First off, I would suggest you respect decorum and refrain from personal attacks and profanity in your posts and on the messages you post on my profile. And based on the comments you left there, I assume that the "artists" you mention here as "know it alls" is a direct reference to me so... since I'm still waiting for my coffee this fine morning, let me respond...

Originally posted by endisnighe
reply to post by metamagic

Ok, for one thing, a fresh install has no viruses or trojans. I am talking about, before even connecting to the internet image. Do you know what I mean? Yes I do have my work computer totally setup than my surfing computer. Yes MS sucks but I know it like the back of my hand.

You originally said that you re-installed an image of your drive, not that you did a fresh install from scratch. My point was that it is possible that the image is contaminated, a situation which I have seen as I commented in my post. As well, even if you are installing from scratch, if you are using a copy of Windows there is a small chance that something may have been inserted in the copy target media if the machine actually performing the copy was infected. If you are using a pirated copy of Windows, the probability increases dramatically.

You totally missed the point of my comment about Windows. I did not say MS sucks, nor did I criticize your skill with the OS. I commented that fresh installs of Windows are infected in minutes unless they are secured. I guess I should have explicitly stated what I thought was obvious.. check your security settings!

XML drive backup is a software. You use it to back up your HDD at a point in time, my surfing computer is backed up at the point of no internet connection. No possibility of little nasties. Yes, I know social networks are bad, that is why my main computer never goes internet and I use the Image software on my surfer.

Well in this case you didn't use the actual name of the software. XML is "extensible markup language" a ubiquitous structured information protocol that is well known. I did a quick google search and found out that what you were referring to probably was "Driveimage XML" The name of the software is not XML so my original response is due to your not using the name of the software but a term that has common usage instead.

Social networks themselves are not "bad" but they are a significant point of distribution for malware. Especially if you are using Windows that is unsecured.

And what I was trying to say with the info I gave, was that their was no possibility that it was my computer. But assholes will be assholes. I was trying to escape the bull# artists that tend to think they know everything but I guess you know everything. Wow, anyway what I was trying to say is I have never seen the slow down of the internet info like I have today.

If only I had a nickel for every time I hear that "it can't possibly be my computer" when in fact it is. And I guess I should explain why I said that the "Internet" is not your problem. And I should point out that your complaint was also about strange search results, not just response times.

The "Internet" is not a system that is out there but is a collection of collections of networks using common protocols. Certain portions of those networks can experience traffic slowdowns due to hardware issues, failures at different nodes on their portion of the network, DDOS attacks and a host of other things. The most common of which is the last point in the connection -- your computer.

But those are all local so that while you may experience local slowdowns, the "Internet" is not slow. Generalizing your experience to the whole "Internet" is akin to you going outside on a rainy day and assuming that it is raining all over the world (apologies to Tony Joe White and Brook Benton).

[edit on 13-9-2009 by metamagic]

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by azureskys
reply to post by endisnighe

Please use decourm when expressing colorful language in your posts.

Certain words written out are not acceptable here at ATS.

Using a$$#ls or some such is acceptable.
Thank You

Actually that is not allowed either. Check the terms and conditions where it states

1b.) Profanity: You will not use profanity in our forums, and will neither post with language or content that is obscene, sexually oriented, or sexually suggestive nor link to sites that contain such content. You will also not use common alternative spellings or net-speak alternative for profane words.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Firstly, I would make a new image containing SP3 and subsequent updates for your XP system. It only takes a moment, especially with todays fast connections, for a virus or piece of malware to download and start doing its stuff..

Secondly, it sounds more like local network issues for you, and upon reading the thread whilst writing this I notice that metamagic has said it all, really!

First point though. An image is only as good and as secure as the time it was created. If you rely upon such OS images, keep them updated or at least keep all subsequent patches and updates on a seperate storage device so you can patch & update before you connect to your network.

new topics

top topics

join