It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Key Blagojevich Corruption Witness Dead Of Apparent Aspirin Overdose

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   
This seems just a little convenient.

Key Blagojevich adviser Christopher Kelly dead

The man federal prosecutors pressured to cooperate in the corruption probe of ex-Gov. Rod Blagojevich died of an apparent aspirin overdose on Saturday, law enforcement sources said.

Christopher Kelly, 51, of Burr Ridge, was pronounced dead at Stroger Hospital at 10:46 a.m. An autopsy is scheduled for today, a Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office spokeswoman said.

Kelly was Blagojevich’s “go-to guy” who once was the mastermind of the ex-governor’s lucrative campaign fund.

Kelly’s death comes just four days after he pleaded guilty to a scheme involving $8.5 million in fraud at O’Hare Airport. It was the second conviction this year -- he still faced trial along with the ex-governor, in June. Kelly had been indicted three times since 2007 but refused to become a cooperating witness. When he pleaded guilty to the O’Hare scheme Tuesday, Kelly spoke of feeling intense pressure by prosecutors to abandon his loyalty to Blagojevich and cooperate with the feds.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Geees's imagine that. Why bother with asprin, who is gonna beleive that. Someone is covering their tracks and loose ends.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

How much aspirin does that take??

Can anyone "accidentally" ingest that much aspirin without puking?

This seems very odd! But, the prosecutors seem to have plenty of evidence, so I don't see the point of killing this guy. Maybe it was suicide?

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I almost OD'd on asprin once. They pumped 64 tablets out of my stomach.

Granted, they were the chewable orange flavoured ones. And I was 5 at the time.

But it IS possible.

We're also dealing with Chicago politics, so I'm just a wee bit doubtful. . .

But maybe it's the OD that's affecting my mind, who knows. . .

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

But where's the motive? Certainly not with Blago.

"Kelly’s death comes just four days after he pleaded guilty to a scheme involving $8.5 million in fraud at O’Hare Airport. It was the second conviction this year -- he still faced trial along with the ex-governor, in June. Kelly had been indicted three times since 2007 but refused to become a cooperating witness. When he pleaded guilty to the O’Hare scheme Tuesday, Kelly spoke of feeling intense pressure by prosecutors to abandon his loyalty to Blagojevich and cooperate with the feds."

He has already clearly resigned to prison, and has refused to testify that Blago committed crimes, instead sacrificing himself instead of becoming a cooperating witness in exchange for leniency. Seems like the feds would have more motive to getting him out of the way than Blago would.

Perhaps we should be speaking with Mr Emanuel's lot about this?

hmm. this didn't post, so I'll add it:

I wonder why a married man would call his "girlfriend" to let her know about the suicide. Then why would a "girlfriend" drop him off and leave? And the hospital just happened to lack a trauma center to treat him? Charcoal and stomach pumping can be done at every hospital that I've ever been to, and most ambulances around here as well...seems fishy...

[edit on 12-9-2009 by digger2381]

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Maybe the guy drank Coca Cola to wash all the pills down. If you drink coke and eat aspirin you can kill yourself. Heh. That was the rumor back in the 60's. Teens actually tried this. No, it didn't work.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikerussellus
I almost OD'd on asprin once. They pumped 64 tablets out of my stomach.

Granted, they were the chewable orange flavoured ones. And I was 5 at the time.

But it IS possible.

We're also dealing with Chicago politics, so I'm just a wee bit doubtful. . .

But maybe it's the OD that's affecting my mind, who knows. . .

That's what I was thinking. Chicago has quite a history. Although, it'll probably be swept under the rug like with the Clintons and Vince Foster.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
This stinks to high heaven. That crooked ex. gov. has been all over the talk shows last few days......what a freakin' liar. I think this guy was just about ready to help the feds.....coincidence???

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
That's the 2nd convenient accidental death with regards to Illinois and the Senate seat vacated by the President...

There's a thread on the other one who was supposed to testify against the one who is now in the Senate seat... I will link it here when I find it..

[edit on 9/12/2009 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Here it is:

Political consultant John Ruff dies in auto accident

Remind me not to visit the windy city.... :shk:

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   
My AP U.S. Government teacher was just talking about how most corrupt officials are from Illinois, our state. I remember when I was at an Alumni Program they were talking about how the rest of the world, when they hear Chicago, they think of mobsters/gangsters and corrupt politicians. I think its disgusting if his death was because of Blagojevich. Politicians are so corrupt in Illinois.

Even Mayor Daley has been mayor for about 24 years now. Who was it before him? His father for about 10. It just shows that there really isn't a fair chance to run for mayor in the City, unless your family or the previous mayor died. It's more like a monarchy than a democracy.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Something doesn't seem right. The article says he was at Oak Forest Hospital - the closest trauma center wouldn't be Stroger (the County Hospital) - it would be Christ in Oak Lawn, IL. Oak Lawn is 13 miles away and Stroger is 25 miles. In addition, even during the week-end there are traffic delays around the downtown area - why wouldn't they use a helicopter (common in the Chicago area).

Stroger is the county hospital - it has A VERY BAD reputation. The University of Illinois or Rush are better hospitals and they are within a few blocks of County.

[edit on 12-9-2009 by Daughter2]

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Corruption at its finest.

Wait, not quite right, cover up at its finest.

Wait, not quite right, cough cough bull cough # cough cough.

There much better. Suicided is the termonology.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Did any of you actually read the damn article? Or did you just look at the snippet with huge ommisions that was posted by the OP?
He was already convicted twice, was in line for another and was pressured by everybody involved to play ball their way. Lets look at what the story says;

Chicago police are investigating Kelly’s death. A source familiar with the investigation told the Chicago Sun-Times that Kelly, who is married, called a woman identified as his “girlfriend” and told her that he took some pills and was going to kill himself.

The woman picked up Kelly near 170th and Cicero in Country Club Hills, where Kelly reportedly vomited. Police were taking samples of the vomit and searching for evidence, the source said.

The girlfriend then drove Kelly to Oak Forest Hospital, dropped him off and called police to report she did so, the source said.

Sounds to me like the corrupt cowardly bastard tried and succeeded to kill himself.

There is NOTHING in this story that suggests a cover-up, murder or anything else.

[edit on 12-9-2009 by Tiloke]

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Aspirin overdose only has a 2% fatality rate.

This guy didn't snitch - yet.

Regarding Duff. I kinda know the area of the crash - Plano has more corn fields than trees. Western Kendall County is almost all corn fields.

Here's more from the Suntimes article on the crash:

"Pearson said there were no witnesses to the crash nor was there evidence of any other vehicles involved. There were no skid marks on the road.

"We have absolutely no idea what caused Mr. Ruff's vehicle to veer off the roadway," Pearson said.

Deputy Kendall County Coroner Jacquie Marcellis told the Sun-Times that Ruff died of blunt head and chest trauma. No autopsy is planned."

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   
its one messy, ugly system over there in U.S.

whistleblowers and witnesses dying, overdosing, suicide, plane crashes, aspirin

very discouraging

but massive change is coming

everyone can feel it

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Tiloke

"There is NOTHING in this story that suggests a cover-up, murder or anything else. "

Aaah those are the best kind of murders though, ones that leave no trace...

That said, back to what makes me wonder. The man plead guilty on both of his current convictions. But he wouldn't take a deal. This indicates that he had no intention of playing ball with the government over the charges against Blago.

If he was already going to plead out and Blagojevich had really committed crimes, wouldn't he take the deal to get leniency for himself? And if he knew the jig was up and life wasn't worth living, he would have either committed suicide before he plead guilty, or tried to fight the charges in court and offed himself at a later date, post conviction. There is no logic in his actions, which is why I cry foul.

Of all the things to OD on, ASPIRIN? I can think of at least a dozen things inside my house that are more effective, but he chooses aspirin...

And then to call an unnamed girlfriend who drops him off at the hospital and leaves...if the girlfriend was really a girlfriend, she would have stayed, at least to fill out the police report.

new topics

top topics

join