It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

amphetamine based kids adhd medicine as banner

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
What's up with this? On the "recent posts" page, there is a banner at the top for some new kids adhd medicine. The disclaimer has all sorts of warnings about amphetamine use. We prescribe amphetamines to kids now? Where the Hell have I been......

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Reply to post by Marrr

Amphetamines hs been an active ingredient in ADHD medicines since I can remember. It's highly addictive. I know a lot of college students who steal from their younger siblings because they say it makes them hyper and they will actually do their homework and term papers because they are so "bored".

I do think we are going about this the wrong way. Giving a highly addictive drug to a young child just seems wrong to me regardless of how little they can concentrate. I am not a doctor though and don't really have any corrective ideas in mind. I suppose researchers have been looking into other methods and treatments but amphetamines is the only semi-working solution for now.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Alright guys...Amphetamine based ADD and ADHD meds have been common for QUITE a while. They are the BEST thing we currently have to control the mental disorders. There is no conspiracy here, the doctors and everyone are VERY familiar with the addictive potential of the meds, thus why they all are DEA Schedule II drugs(which is the schedule right before ILLEGAL, which means they have the highest potential for abuse and withdrawal symptoms). The ad in the banner fpr Vyvanse is an newer Amp. based long acting medication, lisdexamfetamine hydrochloride. I really do not see what the huge deal is, Ritilan, Adderall, and many others have been being prescribed for ages. YES, there is diversion of the chemicals but that is COMMON with any pharmaceutical, such as hydrocodone (Lortab, Vicodin) or oxycodone(Percocet, Oxycontin)...The amphetamines are the most effective drug to treat the illness though, they can change lives of those with ADD or ADHD and make them fully functional people, instead of people in a chaotic state of mind. Just like opiates, which are the BEST medicine available for pain relief, they have a potential for abuse, and thus are heavily controlled and monitored.

[edit on 9/12/2009 by jkrog08]

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Its not just for kids

I take it, its awesome

But in reality, its just advertising really.

Edit: To the previous poster Vyvanse > Adderall x 100

[edit on 12-9-2009 by GreenBicMan]

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by jkrog08
Alright guys...Amphetamine based ADD and ADHD meds have been common for QUITE a while. They are the BEST thing we currently have to control the mental disorders. There is no conspiracy here, the doctors and everyone are VERY familiar with the addictive potential of the meds, thus why they all are DEA Schedule II drugs(which is the schedule right before ILLEGAL, which means they have the highest potential for abuse and withdrawal symptoms). The ad in the banner fpr Vyvanse is an newer Amp. based long acting medication, lisdexamfetamine hydrochloride. I really do not see what the huge deal is, Ritilan, Adderall, and many others have been being prescribed for ages. YES, there is diversion of the chemicals but that is COMMON with any pharmaceutical, such as hydrocodone (Lortab, Vicodin) or oxycodone(Percocet, Oxycontin)...The amphetamines are the most effective drug to treat the illness though, they can change lives of those with ADD or ADHD and make them fully functional people, instead of people in a chaotic state of mind. Just like opiates, which are the BEST medicine available for pain relief, they have a potential for abuse, and thus are heavily controlled and monitored.

[edit on 9/12/2009 by jkrog08]

Absolutely correct, with one exception, as a "medicated" ADHD adult I object to the "BEST thing we currently have to control the mental disorders. "

Nevertheless, those who often make comments deriding medication have no concept of the difference it makes, so, take 6 radios, tune them to different stations, turn them all up and try to listen.. Medication turns four of them down.

If you are going to comment please do so from an informed standpoint, do all Americans come home and get plastered with cocktails before dinner? no? but that is what is portrayed on television.

Get the facts first.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I have two stories to relate this issue, first one of my nephews' had been prescribed ridalin when he was in the first grade. My sister did not want him to take it but was forced to give it to him. Either he take the ridalin or he would not be allowed in classes, also it was reported to social services and they did a follow up letting her know that it was considered 'abuse' if she did not comply with doctors orders in the matter. So she gave it to him. He would travel to see his father about once a month and spend a weekend, one weekend he brought him back home and told my sister that he had been exposed to lice, and he had done a treatment on him to kill any that may have been on him. We noticed in the following week little tics that he was showing, his eyes rolling upward ( that scared the hell out of me, but say his name and he would jerk them back down) foot tapping, jerking his shoulders, and his speech was not right. For the sake of not telling the entire story, let me reveal that the combination of ridalin and the pyrithins in the lice treatment caused permanant damage to the left side of his brain. He is now 26 and lives on a small disability check, he is anti social and has many health problems, he stutters and has tics, still rolling his eyes upward, and it is a shame. No warning whatsoever that this could happen was on either the pills or the lice treatment, and considering how many children take it, and are exposed to lice in schools and such you would think a warning would be warranted.

Second: I used to work for a prestigious private elementary and prep school in the area, and was sickened to discover that EVERY STUDENT was on ridalin or adderall. All of them! There was a medicine cabinet on the wall of each homeroom, and the intructors were told to dispense them to the student daily. I started to wonder whether the parents actually know about this, but sadly they did. I don't think they knew ALL the students were on the drugs, just their own. I don't know how many times I peeked in on a classroom full of sleeping children, heads on their desks. I went to the dean about it, and he fired me the next day. Not for that officially, he fired me claiming that I had tampered with and stolen medicine from one of the cabinets! Ironic huh?!

[edit on 13-9-2009 by space cadet]

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Kids who are perceived as 'difficult' are drugged with all kinds of things.

I believe that is child abuse.

Also, I believe that by using these drugs we are dumbing down our brightest kids.

The brightest can be the most difficult.

We are losing untold brilliant minds by doing this, as well as abusing children.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 01:46 AM
link   
A very good friend of mine since pre-school is on that stuff. After high school, he became addicted to meth. Fast forward years ahead........as treatment for his previous meth addiction, his doc prescribes him this adhd medicine. The doctor told him where the medicine is derived from. Bad idea! He's prescribed two months worth at a time. Goes thru the bottle in only two days to "get off". This happens every two months with the refill of a new prescription. Insane.
And it's not just my old friend that has this problem. It's wide-spread in several towns in my area. And young kids at that. Using this medicine as currency to buy other things they shouldn't be consuming.
Now don't get me wrong. If there's a legitimate use for the medicine and it helps what the doctor is prescribing it for. By all means, get cured. However, passing out pharmaceutical speed as a treatment for anything involving children doesn't sit right with me. IMO, that's one thing kids shouldn't be enlightened to. That's what college is for

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by spellbound

So true, I saw this docu about these new desks, the desks allow students who normally simply cannot sit still through a class ( candidates for amphetamines) to stand instead, and installed on the desks are a foot pedal, a type of bar that they can quietly swing their foot back and forth. The result? Calm kids, better grades, all is well. Of course they can sit at these same desks, but most prefer to stand.

community.nytimes.com...

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

That is brilliant, but it is so sad to think of those other kids who never had that level of understanding from adults.

I hope that we carry on to be more enlightened about other people, especially kids.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 03:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Marrr

And a flag.

Kids should not be drugged - full stop.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Thank you. I wasn't sure about posting this or sure it would hold up to mod scrutiny. Once I saw that ad, well, it just pissed me off. Another thing I'd like to say...kids aren't stupid...well, a lot of them aren't. They know what that medicine is. A good portion of their parents are on it, or the more illegal derivitive of it. I'm sure they probably research it on the internet once their peers start discussing it.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Marrr

I would give you a star too, but can't find one lol.

Anyway, thank you so much for sticking up for kids.

They need more people like you and me.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Ya, that's my fault. I shouldn't of put it here, but didn't know where it would fit in. Least it's getting discussed, so it's all cool.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by GreenBicMan
Its not just for kids

I take it, its awesome

But in reality, its just advertising really.

Edit: To the previous poster Vyvanse > Adderall x 100

[edit on 12-9-2009 by GreenBicMan]

Vyvanse isn't 100 times stronger than Adderall. In fact, Adderall is 100% amphetamine while Vyvanse is like 30% amphetamine. A lot of people say Adderall XR is stronger than Vyvanse. The Pharmaceutical company just needs a new ADHD med without a generic, so they created Vyvanse.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by RetinoidReceptor

Greater in this case = better

Please, I have taken plenty of both to form this opinion lol, and I have ADHD

EDIT: IMO adderall XR sucks, but this goes way beyond TOS so I cannot elaborate anymore, these posts will most likely be deleted anyways

[edit on 14-9-2009 by GreenBicMan]

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by RetinoidReceptor

And that's it RR. It's all about the $$$. Thanks to you all for participating in this thread.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

there is no conspiracy here

I actually believe there is a conspiracy - to over medicate our children and make them become dependent on drugs.
ADD/ADHD drugs are amphetamines and do have some serious side effects: depression, suicide, weight loss, height growth restriction and bad withdrawal.....and should be the very very last resort.

Im currently in a drug*crime class which also deals with the science of drugs and the affects on the brain - and we just talked about this very subject. I could go on and on and on about it. But I will spare everyone

[edit on September 14th 2009 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
reply to post by jkrog08

there is no conspiracy here

I actually believe there is a conspiracy - to over medicate our children and make them become dependent on drugs.

To further that..

What's to say Big Pharma does want to help alleviate these mental disorders, but also get them addicted and thus make a profit off it. I don't see why these two ideas are mutually exclusive. People seem to often choose one over the other, but I see both being the case.

If there isn't a milligram of benevolence from Big Pharma itself, I am sure some can at least be found in the pharmacologists and chemists that design the drugs to begin with.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by a chemical love story

If there isn't a milligram of benevolence from Big Pharma itself, I am sure some can at least be found in the pharmacologists and chemists that design the drugs to begin with.

The fact is, we must be thankful for Big Pharma. Without them, we would still be given lobotomies for depression and wouldn't be able to stop a heart attack as it is occurring.

But their methods and evils are due to the fact that it is, in the end, a profit seeking corporation. It must make their shares go up to get a big bonus, etc. etc....But them being a corporation is also a big reason as to why they are so successful.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join