It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An FYI on illegals "not" paying taxes...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I got a call from a client at work one day. She's an immigration lawyer who was in a conundrum. She is trying to get her client "documented". She has a much better chance if she can prove that he's been a good citizen abiding by the rules. She has one problem--the fast food restaurant he's been working for was paying him under the table and, although he filed a tax return, the wages were reported improperly by an "accountant" as being income from self-employment (schedule C).

Long story short, she's worried that he doesn't have 1099's or w-2's to prove this income and is worried they will accuse him of filing a false tax return and deny him legal status.

My first question to her: Did he even pay any taxes on his income?

Her reply: "Yes. He paid $1,500"

So, he's not legal, getting paid under the table but still paid taxes on his income.

This was an old return from before he even tried to get legal status. I digress a bit but have to mention that this fast food restaurant was paying him what worked out to be $3/hr even though he worked 60 hours a week.

So illegals do pay taxes. Do they all? I'm sure they don't.

But do all Americans pay THEIR taxes?

I'm not saying you shouldn't be legal if your going to live in this country. I'm just trying to dispell a myth that illegals live here "for free" but still benefit from resources that "the rest of us" pay taxes on.

Also, there are some workers who use fake SS#'s so they can get a job which their employer withholds taxes from.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Rarely does a person who gets paid under the table pay taxes. That goes for real Americans also.

I think someone is giving you the runaround.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   
He should be charged with tax fraud, then deported. If he is illegal, how did he file a return? He clearly wasn't working for a chain restaurant, because even McDonald's won't hire illegals. The franchisee has too much to lose if they get caught.
Is this immigration lawyer employed by ACORN?

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
And, on the other hand.

Colorado judge stops tax crackdown on illegal workers

In October, Weld County Sheriff John Cooke and Dist. Atty. Ken Buck launched "Operation Numbers Game," serving a warrant to search thousands of federal income tax returns at the Greeley, Colo., office of a tax preparer with a primarily Latino clientele.

Authorities said the search yielded 1,300 names of people suspected of falsifying or stealing Social Security numbers. So far, 35 have been arrested for investigation of identity theft or criminal impersonation.

Colorado county tax probe targets illegal workers

Of 5,000 returns they examined, they found 1,300 that had both taxpayer identification numbers and Social Security numbers, raising suspicions that the Social Security numbers were falsified or stolen.

Stolen numbers can cause a variety of problems for their rightful owners, such as damaging their credit or drawing the attention of IRS auditors.

So far, authorities have arrested 28 people. Those believed to have used stolen numbers are charged with identity theft, while those suspected of creating fictitious numbers are charged with criminal impersonation. Officials said they don't yet know how many of the 1,300 names will fall into each category because verifying Social Security numbers is a slow process.

Weld officials say the average return they analyzed showed a worker paying $800 in taxes, claiming many exemptions and a child tax credit, and receiving a refund of more than $2,000.

If people of Mexican or any other nationality wish to go through the proper channels and procedures to become citizens of the United States, I'll support them fully. If they don't, then not.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

Really? I'm just giving some info I have. I'm not saying ALL illegals pay taxes. I'm just saying that some do. And many people honestly believe that not a single illegal pays taxes. I'm trying to dispell that myth, but you'd rather just not believe it?

Why?

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by nunya13

I never said that all of them don't pay taxes.

I recently turned in a construction crew that was all illegals and they payed taxes. They got a W2 and a refund also, of course their SSN were fake as was all the rest of their paperwork.

What I said was, "Rarely does a person who gets paid under the table pay taxes. That goes for real Americans also. "

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by stevegmu

Who cares if it's a major chain? I'm actually pretty sure I know who the chain is.

This guy is trying to become a citizen and was trying to do things right by paying his taxes even though the restaurant he was working for took advantage of his situation and grossly underpaid him.

He didn't file a fraudulent return. He relied on the expertise of a paid accountant to prepare a return for him. the accountant (who she informed me is actually a lawyer who has done this before) should have reported the restaurant. My boss, a CPA, told me that an accountant is required to report businesses for such behavior.

Obviously he's not going to be deported because she's in the process of getting him papers so he's already on the radar but no one's making him leave.

What the heck does ACORN have to do with anything?

This is what will happen, guaranteed. The restaurant will be reported. He will amend the tax return. He'll get his papers. he did what he was suppose to and filed a return to report his income and pay any taxes that were required. The tax return was filed improperly and that is the responsibility of the paid tax preparer, not the client who relies on the expertise of the accountant. The accountant will have to pay "preparers" penalties.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Most illegals pay taxes, they buy fake social security and green cards and alot of employers keep those cards on file without doing any further checking. The taxes get taken out of every paycheck and sent off to the government so they actually pay more then most of us because they do not file for a return so the money they put in all of the year stays in the governments coffers.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

No, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to imply that YOU thought that. I was just restating the point of my thread, that's why i said "some people" but I can see how you might interpret that I meant to include you in that.

I didn't. I just know some people do think this and I'm sure my story isn't an isolated incident.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlegmi

This is part of the point I was trying to make. some of them don't even get refunds. Some of them file and pay taxes when they don't have to.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I have seen guys who wanted to work for me come in and try to get a job with me and fill out there w2 with 10 dependants trying to avoid taxes. And that is ussaully the same applications that will have a fake social security number on the form. There are many that do hire them but I wouldn't want the hassel. Ive seen where freinds have hired them and got letters stateing fire them immediately or you will be fined for each day employed. But most of the people who hire the illegals hire them under the table and they pay no taxes. When most of them say they pay taxes they are talking about sales taxes in stores. Youll find most of these illegals are driving without insurance without proper tags on there cars and paying no taxes.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I have no sympathy for this illegal alien, and to assume that even half pay taxes is idiotic. On the other hand I feel terrible that this person who is breaking the law is taking a job away for a LEGAL american, especially in this time when so many are jobless.

-E-

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

I think you're missing my point. I think everyone is. Maybe I'm just not making it clear enough. Maybe I don't even know what it is. *sigh*

I think I've failed this one...

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

Well, when I lived in Los Angeles I worked at several companies whos employee makeup was around 95% and I also became friends with quite a alot of Hispanic people there and I can tell you that of that 95% about 70% had counterfeit documents. Now those were very large companies and just the locations I was at had over 1000 people each. And from having friends I know this is very prevalent in that area which is in a large industrial part of Los Angeles.

So basically a 50% is actually conservative, employers know what is going on but they cover their behinds by having the proper "paperwork wink wink" on record. Also in my experience they were not taking any jobs from "americans" because the ones that did get the job ended up quitting after a few days because the work is to hard...

I think the companies just turned the other way and started hiring "illegals" because they could not find "american" workers as you call them.

[edit on 12-9-2009 by Phlegmi]

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by nunya13
reply to post by stevegmu

Who cares if it's a major chain? I'm actually pretty sure I know who the chain is.

This guy is trying to become a citizen and was trying to do things right by paying his taxes even though the restaurant he was working for took advantage of his situation and grossly underpaid him.

He didn't file a fraudulent return. He relied on the expertise of a paid accountant to prepare a return for him. the accountant (who she informed me is actually a lawyer who has done this before) should have reported the restaurant. My boss, a CPA, told me that an accountant is required to report businesses for such behavior.

Obviously he's not going to be deported because she's in the process of getting him papers so he's already on the radar but no one's making him leave.

What the heck does ACORN have to do with anything?

This is what will happen, guaranteed. The restaurant will be reported. He will amend the tax return. He'll get his papers. he did what he was suppose to and filed a return to report his income and pay any taxes that were required. The tax return was filed improperly and that is the responsibility of the paid tax preparer, not the client who relies on the expertise of the accountant. The accountant will have to pay "preparers" penalties.

If it is a major chain, then the story falls apart. A franchisee wouldn't risk losing his store or stores just to save a couple bucks.

If he were doing things right, he would have come here legally.

Saying it was all his accountant's fault didn't spare Wesley Snipes.

You must have missed all the stories about ACORN helping people file fraudulent tax returns. If he filed a return at all, it was fraudulent, because he was working under the table. That a trained CPA went along with it would put them in the same category of the ACORN accountants- criminals.

He should be deported and the accountant criminally prosecuted.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
My 2 cents.

The client and you, should be charged with conspiracy to commit a crime, if in anyway you give advice or implement any actions that suborn these actions.

I would tell your client to call the INS and get this person deported. I would also report the employer to the police for breaking the law. But of course this is only me. AN AMERICAN.

They(yes almost all of them-construction super here-turn them in as often as possible) report their income and pay taxes for one purpose only. They claim outrageous amounts of children and collect more money than they pay in. This is not tax evasion, a lower offense, but tax fraud.

She has a much better chance if she can prove that he's been a good citizen abiding by the rules.

And this is really where you piss me off, a good citizen? CITIZEN?
I suppose you are a lawyer too? Both of you should be disbarred if so. You are committing a crime. NUFF SAID

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlegmi

I live in Texas, within 1 hour of the border. In my city you can drive downtown and pick up illegals called "day workers". Every day they go to a certian parking lot waiting for someone to give them work. None of thempay taxes. I worked in the construction industry for 8 years. During this time I saw ALOT of illegal immigrants being payed under the table. A good friend of mine losthis job bc he was no longer needed at a bit above minimum wage.

I don't think people up north realize what a toll illegal immigration takes on border states. (I know California is a border state, i'm not refering to you)

nunya, I understand what you are trying to get across with this thread. I am tryingto bring the perspective of someone on the "front line" so to speak. Illegal immigration has directly effected my life in a negative way, and maybe it will take that for everyon to see the damage it does.

-E-

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by nunya13
I got a call from a client at work one day. She's an immigration lawyer who was in a conundrum. She is trying to get her client "documented". She has a much better chance if she can prove that he's been a good citizen abiding by the rules. She has one problem--the fast food restaurant he's been working for was paying him under the table and, although he filed a tax return, the wages were reported improperly by an "accountant" as being income from self-employment (schedule C).

Long story short, she's worried that he doesn't have 1099's or w-2's to prove this income and is worried they will accuse him of filing a false tax return and deny him legal status.

My first question to her: Did he even pay any taxes on his income?

Her reply: "Yes. He paid $1,500"

So, he's not legal, getting paid under the table but still paid taxes on his income.

This was an old return from before he even tried to get legal status. I digress a bit but have to mention that this fast food restaurant was paying him what worked out to be $3/hr even though he worked 60 hours a week.

So illegals do pay taxes. Do they all? I'm sure they don't.

But do all Americans pay THEIR taxes?

I'm not saying you shouldn't be legal if your going to live in this country. I'm just trying to dispell a myth that illegals live here "for free" but still benefit from resources that "the rest of us" pay taxes on.

Also, there are some workers who use fake SS#'s so they can get a job which their employer withholds taxes from.

I have argued this point forever!!!!! I worked ILLEGALLY there for 25+ years for large and small companies, I PAID TAXES EVERY YEAR......

how many Americans didn't?? yet I raised 3 children and 2 wives and NEVER used any social services or filed unemployment ...... I COULDN"T

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

Your an American??? My illegal ars supported some AMERICANs..... you know the ones sitting at home complaining how bad everything is.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Great thread to put fact behind the myth about illegal immigrants.

I wish to add a fact to assist your thread. The taxes that are being deducted by illegals who work wheather under the table or by using fake SS#, first let me say that most of them do not or are not the ones who rely on our social services, it's the family members who don't work (preganent women & seniors) that put a huge strain on our resources. Secondly, the taxes collected by illegals but are not claimed, filed for on April 15th of each year is kept in a special kitty that our politicians dip into as it is never reported. Another reason that they don't tighten up on the boarder.

Just thought I would add my knowledge. I too believe illegal immigration is a huge strain on our economy, we should put some kind of a hold on anymore coming in until we can get a handle on it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join