It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Charles Darwin film 'too controversial for religious America'

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
The void of ignorance is often filled with fear and superstition.

It's a scary to think that there are whole communities of people out there who rabidly oppose the advance of scientific understanding and will simply condemn as evil anything that they don't understand. There are though, I've met some.

However, I must say that there has to have been another reason why the movie wasn't picked up. Every week a new movie comes out that angers fundamentalists and it never stops Hollywood.

I think maybe this Darwin movie wasn't very good, was rather fluffy and inaccurate, and the producers are spreading this story in retaliation for being snubbed by Hollywood.

P.S. I think it's funny that scientists never protest religion

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Next_Heap_With
This surprisingly common argument reflects several levels of ignorance about evolution. The first mistake is that evolution does not teach that humans descended from monkeys; it states that both have a common ancestor.

That may be evolutionists explanation today, but for many years evolutionists preached their faith to us and told us we evolved from monkeys.

From Goo to You by way of the Zoo!!

When you teach people that they evolved and are no different than animals, they begin to act like animals, holding to the belief that they will not be held accountable in the after life. See the national news for proof of the damage caused by the religion of evolution and those who put their faith and trust in it.

Creation science says we have a common "designer", not a common ancestor.

To me, this is the simpler explanation of the evidences, and the more reasonable.

There is no proof, or any reasonable explanation, as to why this so called common ancestor would not be in existance today.....if the evolutionists are correct. But it does not exist, nor does any other transitional fossils exist.

[edit on 13/9/09 by John Matrix]

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Probably a crappy movie.In any case i don't believe Americans are that stupid...no doubt there are communities that live in self reassuring bubbles of ignorance.But i think polls etc are intentionally made to make Americans look like idiots to the outside world for the most part.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by John Matrix

..and there is proof of a "common designer"???

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowflux
However, I must say that there has to have been another reason why the movie wasn't picked up. Every week a new movie comes out that angers fundamentalists and it never stops Hollywood.

I think maybe this Darwin movie wasn't very good, was rather fluffy and inaccurate, and the producers are spreading this story in retaliation for being snubbed by Hollywood.

I already noted for this discussion that it was the US Distributors that made the decision not to buy the film. Obviously it was a business decision and they felt it would not be profitable for them. AND Obviously the film producers would feel they have reason to whine about it....which is what they are doing. The OP used this story to stir up some hate and discontent.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Stir up some hate? How? Where have I once done anything of the sort?

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Evolution exists. Darwin was wrong in his personal understanding of evolution. Evolution is misunderstood. Evolution doesn't happen over long periods of time.

Most atheists or people in general can't accept that fact because they've been bombarded with lies or misinformation by an idiot with lack of real understanding of evidence (Darwin) most of their life. And of course the atheist religion loves using the misinformation of darwin in arguments because they are half-assed, logic only people. Limiting themselves to 5 senses and only using half of their brainwashed mind to understand something.

No i am not a 'creationist' or religious at all. It's easy to be in denial about something so plain to see if you don't have some sort of analytical skill, especially when you're told something to be true enough times.

That is the problem with science. A lot of the time it doesn't have anything to back it up.

I think more people need to EXPERIENCE things themselves instead of reading from books in order to be aware and actually have true perception.

Here is a scientifically proven fact; Darwin is wrong.

This is not an opinion.

[edit on 13-9-2009 by jvm222]

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   

It's not about proof, it's about the evidence, and how we explain the evidence. The evidences are the same for both models. It's the explanations of the evidences that differs. Neither side can PROVE their theory sufficient to become FACT. WHat we are left with is a choice between different explanations of the same evidences. Before deciding which model is more reasonable, one needs to become informed of what the evidences are and how each side explains them.

I believe, putting faith in natural processes working over eons of time to generate mutations within species which result in more complexity, to be absurd. Order from chaos, Life from non life is not happening today and it never did happen. The earth, is uniquely created to support life. No other planet is like the earth, yet we are lead to believe all the planets in our solar system fromed from the same materials swirling around the sun.

There is all kinds of evidence that supports the creation science model and a supports the view of a common designer. Google: "evidence for intelligent design" and see what you get.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by refuse_orders

Stir up some hate? How? Where have I once done anything of the sort?

You ridicule those who don't believe in your atheist religion. You belittle the American people and anyone that believes we are the result of special creation and intelligent design. You mock God and those who believe in Him.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by John Matrix

Order from chaos, [snip] is not happening today and it never did happen.

Snowflake.

Next please.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by debunky
Snowflake.

Next please.

Review context.
A snowflake is not an example of life from non life. A snowflake is the result of intelligent design and the fractal nature of water molecules.
Next please...right back at ya.

[edit on 13/9/09 by John Matrix]

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Order from chaos, Life from non life is not happening today and it never did happen.

Then how do you explain the fairly well known concept of "making babies"? Or is a newborn baby born with ready made newborn baby in them, like those paintings that go on and on and on and on...

Life from non life most certainly exist. Your very existance is proof of that.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Lmao, How do you know i am atheist?
Have i once stated so? NO.

Where have i mocked any god? Oh I haven't.

How and where have i belittled the American people? Ahh that's right I never did. I mealy expressed my surprise at the statistics and subject presented.

Feeding time is over troll.

Let me introduce you to the ignore button.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by refuse_orders

Lmao, How do you know i am atheist?
Have i once stated so? NO.

Where have i mocked any god? Oh I haven't.

How and where have i belittled the American people? Ahh that's right I never did. I mealy expressed my surprise at the statistics and subject presented.

Feeding time is over troll.

Let me introduce you to the ignore button.

Read your original post. I read it again and found several demeaning snide remarks aimed at Americans and Christians. Would you like me to itemize them for you?

Evolution is an atheistic religion that denies God the glory for His creation. You are an evolutionist, therefore you mock God by denying Him his Glory.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Evolution is an atheistic religion that denies God the glory for His creation. You are an evolutionist, therefore you mock God by denying Him his Glory.

That is YOUR belief, not necessarily the belief of evolutionists.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by merka

That is YOUR belief, not necessarily the belief of evolutionists.

You cannot straddle both sides of the fence my friend. You are either on the one side of the issue or the other. There is no in between, no merging of the two beliefs. They are in opposition to each other.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   

I am an Agnostic..and I am an Evolutionist..

Once again..you are totally wrong..

(and don't forget the millions of religious people that are also evolutionists..)

[edit on 13-9-2009 by Next_Heap_With]

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   

It's not about proof, it's about the evidence, and how we explain the evidence. The evidences are the same for both models. It's the explanations of the evidences that differs. Neither side can PROVE their theory sufficient to become FACT. WHat we are left with is a choice between different explanations of the same evidences. Before deciding which model is more reasonable, one needs to become informed of what the evidences are and how each side explains them.

I believe, putting faith in natural processes working over eons of time to generate mutations within species which result in more complexity, to be absurd. Order from chaos, Life from non life is not happening today and it never did happen. The earth, is uniquely created to support life. No other planet is like the earth, yet we are lead to believe all the planets in our solar system fromed from the same materials swirling around the sun.

There is all kinds of evidence that supports the creation science model and a supports the view of a common designer. Google: "evidence for intelligent design" and see what you get.

It seems you have little understanding as to what a scientific theory is. Let me help you out a little here: a scientific theory is a collection of observations from empirical evidence to form a pattern, or theory to which that empirical evidence supports; which is also tested rigorously before it can even become a theory. Your idea that there was a all mighty god that designed us would be a hypothesis since you have no observable proof to support your claim besides scripture (which is not evidence, in fact).

Evolution, on the other hand, is a solid scientific theory that has been tested for the past 150 years through observable evidence.

Here are a list of transitional fossils, since you claim that none exist:
en.wikipedia.org...

To address your other point: we are essentially animals (mammals) of the Homo Genus (Homo Sapiens). But to claim that people act like animals if they're taught that we are animals is absolutely ridiculous. How can you define the behaviour of an animal if there exists a great many species on this planet alone -- to which all have different behaviours. Sentience has given us the gift of reason, so why not put it to use and develop some method to prove your faith?

Also, it would be good to perhaps learn scientific terms before you spout your ignorance on what they are not.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
There is an epidemic of willful ignorance in this country: just spend a day on ATS, the most depressing site on the internet

I'm awaiting the thread that announces that this country needs to bring back slavery and take the vote away from women, to "preserve our freedom"

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I can't believe there are people who put all their faith in science.
Scientists have been proven wrong and there are also Scientists who don't subscribe to the Evolution theory.
Scientists on many occasions have disagreed with each other.
The man-made-global-warming- that - was- changed- to- climate-change - theory being the most recent that comes to mind.

The way I see it is that creationism explains how it all started and science explains the mechanics of it to us. And if Scientists don't believe in God and the creation theory, why do they persist in trying to play god and create life forms themselves? Envy perhaps? I also believe there was an angel who was envious of God and tried to be like him and we all know who he was and what happened to him....

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join