It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm so disenfranchized.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
This right vs. left crap is really getting to me. It makes me want to pull my hair out.

I know some can understand what I'm saying. You feel it too, right? The aggravation?

I'm having a really hard time understanding the mentality of people I used to identify with. Liberals.

When Bush was prez we were called lunatics, told that if we don't like America we should move to another country, Bush is the president now-get over it, etc.

Now liberals are saying these same exact things to conservatives and even other liberals who don't get with THEIR program.

This same thing goes for conservatives, too. They said liberal protesters during the Bush era were making America weak, that we had to support our president no matter if we like him or not--that's the American thing to do.

Now, if conservatives call someone a nazi or Marxist if someone says the same things to them.

I just don't get it.

It just seems like more of a right vs. left thing. You know? I just refuse to believe that people are that stupid.

Bush era:

Liberals--protested wars
conservatives--called liberals terrorist sympathizers for it

Liberals--questioned Bush's military service
Conservatives--fired Dan Rather for reporting it

Liberals--worried about the PATRIOT Act
Conservatives--it's for your safety

Obama era:

Conservatives--protest the ripping off of American taxpayers
Liberals--call them racists

Conservatives--Questions Obama's birthright
Liberals--call them racists

Conservatives--worried about 2nd amendment rights
Liberals--it's for your safety

This is why I am a conspiracy theorist. It's way too hard to believe that people are really like this. When something is too hard to believe as it is portrayed, I'd RATHER believe there's a conspiracy behind it.

I'm not saying there's a conspiracy theory behind any of what I'm saying. I'm just saying I have a hard time believing these are the types of people who vote people into government that perpetuate the problem.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Welcome to politics.

Enjoy the cynicism.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Johnmike

I figured I'd get responses like yours. And thanks for responding for sure.

Maybe I mostly wanted to vent. I don't really know what I'm expecting with this thread.

I just think that it's such BS that people act like this and it's people like this that are bringing our country down.

How can we ever get anything solved when people are so easily....brainwashed (for lack of a better word)?

I know I'll also get the response, "Just wait till a republican is prez. It will swing back the other way." I completely believe this, but maybe my underlying issue is the question of whether or not we are doomed to repeat this cycle over and over and over and over again?

I just wonder how much progress could have been made had the righties and lefties realized they really do want the same things at the most basic levels.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Star and flag from me.

It is rather sickening, isn't it? I have (or had) a couple of good friends who will not even speak to me now, because of my views on the current "Health Care Reform" debate. I agree with some of the suggestions and disagree with others. But, because I won't just swallow the whole package and don't want a government run plan, I am a hate filled fear monger.

I've said many times, this election cycle has done more to promote class warfare than any I can remember. And yes, from both D's and R's.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by WTFover

Wow, that sucks that your "friends" would hold your opinions against you.

I'm on the fence with the proposed bill myself.

But it's sad because my mom has been taken in by the right side of the movement. She's maybe the worst of them.

She gets taken in by either side that rallies against the government hook, line, and sinker.

It's not like she just disagrees with D's and R's as a whole and stays somewhere in the middle. It's like if a D is in office she's an R and spouts/buys the R's rhetoric. If an R is in power she does the same but then spouts/buys the D's rhetoric.

I really hate some of the ignorant emails she sends me that someone forwarded to her, who had it forwarded to them, who had it forwarded to them.

Blah!!

Edit to add: You've hit on another point I was having trouble relating. The fact that some people expect others to and do "buy the whole package". and if you disagree with even one thing you get treated like your on the "other side", a traitor of sorts.

It's like, I'm a liberal who disagrees with gun control. A liberal who supports it would then try to tell me I'm not a liberal if I think that. And a conservative would assume I must agree with gun control if I simply told them I'm a liberal based on preconceived notions.

[edit on 12-9-2009 by nunya13]

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   
S&F For venting Truth Nunya,
It is frustrating knowing that nothing will change with the "divide and conquer" mentality.
Our contact for my local Teaparty's e-mail is along the lines of: [email protected]
Now why would he have to have that division in the e-mail???
It just turns people away.
I think I'll e-mail him and set up my return mail as [email protected].

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by nunya13

I really hate some of the ignorant emails she sends me that someone forwarded to her, who had it forwarded to them, who had it forwarded to them.

I am afraid the advent of the internet is causing more problems than it solves. There really is no 'truth' anymore. If you search long enough and word your search correctly, you can find an article, poll, graph, chart, quote, etc. that will agree with your point of view. Facts are no longer facts. They are just bytes of information moulded, clouded and skewed to fit the moment.

Was it Khrushchev who said the Soviets would conquer America, without firing a shot? I'm afraid we are on the brink of destroying ourselves.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
We really need to get the left & right out of the way with their same old same old. Have you guys considered, if your state in 2010 has a senate opening, running?
We really need people in the senate with the time honored values of "you stupid paid off idiots, we're not going to take it anymore".
If we win all the available seats then that is 1/3 of the Senate. That is effective control right there to block, pass or run to the finish line. Also when the left & right who are heavily owned start going in lock-step, I believe that would wake up more people.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by WTFover

It's not just friends it families being ripped apart by this. My sister won't talk to me because she would rather go down with the Good Ship Obama than actually look at what is being done to the country as a whole by both parties. Funny thing is I never expected her to be so adamant about this party affiliation of hers! She has always been the level headed one in the family. Now she won't hardly talk to the rest of us because we don't agree with the health care takeover. Most of our family have worked in the insurance business including her and she thinks it a perfect solution!

Zindo

Edit to say: She's low level management person and will lose her job and her 6 figure salary if this passes also!

[edit on 9/12/2009 by ZindoDoone]

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by nunya13

This right vs. left crap is really getting to me.

I share your pain.

Sadly, its a never ending cycle.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by 5 oClock

I was, and still kind of am, all for the tea parties. But my enthusiasm waned once I saw that it was strongly aligned with the right wing.

Not that that makes it a bad thing, necessarily. Just that it implies that the left doesn't have voice in the tea party.

top topics

join