It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who needs the MSM to get the news? Nobody! Free To Air Satellite

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
AWESOME POST!

I have taken a crash course in the proper hardware, and I found this site during my research:

www.sat-sales.com...

I decided on the "Neusat SP-6000 receiver" - found on ebay for a great price (other stores online were around $100) - check the specs!

cgi.ebay.com... d44b&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14QQautorefreshZtrue

I wonder what the neighbors will think when they see my dish moving around LOL

[edit on 13-9-2009 by ACEMANN]

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

They also make PCI FTA cards.. basically does the same thing as an external box.

Here's an example.

PCI FTA CARD

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by ACEMANN

Chances are good that they'll think you are a terrorist.
Hmmm... I'll have to check Ebay for hardware, it appears.

My father is going to be pissed when he sees that I get satellite TV for free.
He is perturbed that I get as many channels (even 2 in HD) with rabbit ears as it is.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by lernmore

Very cool.
If there was a way to decrypt data you could use this for free internet service, also.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Do you also get movies?

This makes me wonder why we can't get free satellite phone service too.
The paid cable service we use here on Long Island is horrible, I can't believe the crap they broadcast these days.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I like this idea - if I was in more long term living arrangements I might consider getting a set up like this one (I'm gonna assume the feeds can be received in the UK right?)... But I'm still in that strange point in life where I might up root with very little notice just for a laugh!

One thing that does occur to me is that these feeds are unencrypted now - but what if people viewing them becomes more and more 'main stream' and/or there is a high profile leak from a camera accidentally left shooting say the president as he gets Tony Blair out of his cage to feed him

It could really only take one incident to be a massive youtube hit and then all your kit is pretty worthless unless your willing to get around some legal ins and outs - does that make sense? They might see this as a technical vulnerability that could (presumably) be closed easily by just adding the encryption.

Great idea though, I love the idea of a motorised dish on the roof making strange movements at strange times - I'd have a black one, scifi it up a little and get one of those really powerful hand held lasers to occasionally fire a beam into the night sky - just to confuse the neighbours

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Electro38
This makes me wonder why we can't get free satellite phone service too.

Well I'd say receiving telly from the satellites is a passive activity - you don't have a 2 way connection - it's like having an FM radio receiver but with a satellite instead of a tower - so long as you have a radio you can listen to the music - it don't matter if there is only one radio receiving or a million.

But phonecalls require 2 way capability - the satellite has to have the capacity to process each and every call - and that's not cheep or easy.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Good Thread ive been satellite feed watching for years heres a good site for finding feeds www.satelliweb.com...
Ive got a pci dvbs card in my computer linked to a 1 metre motorised dish which cost about 130 pounds. I can view about 8,000 channels although some are encrypted which can be viewed but is illegal.
This is a good site for free software connected to dvbs cards. www.dvbsupport.net...
also this en.kingofsat.net... shows all available satellites

[edit on 13-9-2009 by remymartin]

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
it is extremely rare i give a star and flag here on ats

but damn you sure earned them

this has to be one of the more important threads here on ats, im sure this is something almost every ats member would want, and i am sure many who see this will end up installing in their homes

great information

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
This is very interesting stuff.

I wonder what else is free out there that most people don't know about, but just needs the right equipment to use?

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Oh Yeah! I'm so down with this!

I gave up "pay" tv at the beginning of the year and and now simply use free off the air programming. The signals are in HD, and the pictures are great. And I'm no longer paying some dick company a hundred bucks a month for 150 channels of crap and 3 that I like. We also supplemented with a basic netflix account and a ROKU box which streams certain netflix content to the television. Saving BIG bucks on tv entertainment this way.

This is right up my alley, thanks so much for posting!

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
stupid question from a newbie.

Why are you limited to 50 sats?

www.gosatellite.com...;jsessionid=0a01034d1f4335bc2998c2cc48978b95b0a76705db2e.e3eSbNmTb3mTe34Pa38Ta38Qc3r0< br /> Another popular choice is a motorized FTA satellite system. The difference here is you add a self-powered motor to the satellite dish and now you have access to all 50+ satellites from east to west in the southern sky. This is for the true hobbyist who wants to have maximum TV. The motorized satellite package is a little more challenging to install as it takes more accuracy to align the dish.

...and why are the southern sats the only ones available? Arent' there sats flying all over the globe north, east, sount and west??

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I think most satellites travel along the equator. I could be wrong about that, because I know there's some that don't because the Antarctic research labs have satellite communications also. I think the "southern sky" stuff was written primarily for a U.S./European customer base.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I spoke o my wife about doing this, we're going to get this going soon. Thank you OP for reminding us about this.

I do remember in the late 80's a lot of people were buying dishes and receivers for this purpose. But I was in college then and wasn't interested in TV at all.

Strangely, in the 90's I stopped hearing of people buying dishes, and I assumed that you couldn't receive signals for free anymore!

But now we pay for pure garbage, I cannot believe we are paying for this stuff and bombarded with commercials. We pay for the service and commercials too?

I remember when cable TV was commercial free, I think it was worth the cost back then (EARLY 80'S), but not now.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by tjack
Oh Yeah! I'm so down with this!

I gave up "pay" tv at the beginning of the year and and now simply use free off the air programming. The signals are in HD, and the pictures are great. And I'm no longer paying some dick company a hundred bucks a month for 150 channels of crap and 3 that I like. We also supplemented with a basic netflix account and a ROKU box which streams certain netflix content to the television. Saving BIG bucks on tv entertainment this way.

This is right up my alley, thanks so much for posting!

What equipment are you using; receiver, dish, etc. What's your setup?

Thanks.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Great Post

Many moons ago my father and I owned a business installing Satellite entertainment systems. Man did we ever make some money. We did installs for people like Dr. Denton Cooley (nice guy by the way). To my point. Satellite Entertainment Xperts (spelled correctly) was doing swimmingly until the major movie channels started scrambling their signals. And that was that. We gave some of our best customers "black boxes" to cut the scramble and that was all she wrote.

If the scrambling had never occured this way of recieving information from all of the world would have been readily available today. TPTB would have had to control the media of the entire world to stop the dissemination of information. But in a sense they did, didn't they? After all who owns these channels.

I mean there were two basic things our customers were looking for Movies and the Playboy channel. After they scrambled no one wanted to pay $3000 for a 14' to 16' sometimes 20' dish that picked up news feeds. Bet they wish they had now. Besides it was always fun to catch a newscater picking his nose.

[edit on 13-9-2009 by WWJFKD]

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by WWJFKD

Is it still possible to receive movie broadcasts?

Or would this sat. TV now only be good for news?

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Electro38
reply to post by WWJFKD

Is it still possible to receive movie broadcasts?

Or would this sat. TV now only be good for news?

It will work on anything that isn't scrambled. If a station believes it is valuable then it is surely scrambled, I cant imagine that ever affecting news feeds. i dont really know what would be available anymore. We were doing installs in the 1980's

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by mattifikation

There are satellites all over the sky.
Perhaps the satellites being used to broadcast television signals are in an equatorial orbit. I'm not sure, but I know there are satellites all over the sky.
While surveying with GPS, we often monitor the sky and look at the satellite positions relative to our position. That way we can tell if the signal is being blocked by that building, or those trees.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Great thread and lots of good information here
I want to get a fta satellite setup going. Does anyone know if I can utilize an old direct tv dish for the dish? maybe change the lnb's or something?

This thread made me think of this great doucumentary called Spin. The film maker used all this raw footage from the satellite feeds to show political elections in the early 90s and some other stuff. It's very interesting and exactly what this thread is all about. You can see it on google video to get an idea of whats possible and some good footage

Google Video Link

[edit on 13-9-2009 by warpboost]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join