It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Hello and a Warning!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Hello everybody, ATS wouldn't let me post this anywhere else cause I'm still new and haven't replied enough. I hope some will read this though as I think it could be important!
A friend and co-worker just went to a urgent care facility for a cut on her hand and got some stitches. They gave her a tetanus shot and after everything was done they said "by the way, the tetanus shot she received also was laced with the vaccine for the whooping cough!! " WHAT the "H"?
Does anyone know if this standard procedure now? What other shots they give you are laced with other things? This really bothers me! Please ask what's in that shot they're giving you BEFORE it goes into your arm!! Apparently, they might not tell you before the deed. Also, Now they are asking you to let them use any fluids they might get from you to be included in a National Gene Data Base, at least they still ask for your permission first! At least for NOW! Seems like scary stuff to me, but then I'm a bit paranoid,HaHa. Take care everybody.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I have a co-worker who is borderline hypochondriac. He cut him self with OFFICE scissors and started freaking out and left work early just to go to the hospital to get a tetanus shot.

Before he left he said he called the doc and they told him that he had a choice between getting the tetanus shot and one "laced" with a vaccine for whopping cough. Being the borderline hypochondriac that he is he opted for the latter.

I rolled my eyes when he told me this because it just reminded me of how many people in this country especially want to get any and all possible vaccines and prescription medications to stave off any kind of possible disease, virus, cold, flu, discomfort, etc.

He about flipped when I told him I'm not getting a swine flu vaccine. It was incomprehensible to him. Crazy...

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by nunya13

What bothered me was she was told AFTER she received the shot!

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
it seems as though we don't have rights anymore, like not telling

you what is injections they give!! this is redicules!! imo...I would

stay away from hospitals, if this is their new agenda.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Big whoop,

Sounds like the nurse forgot to remind her. We all forget at work too, no matter what the position...yes I know, she's a nurse and should know better, as should we, so all, calm down.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Tomis_Nexis

WOW do I disagree with you!! Do you work in the Medical field? How many "mistakes" are made on people already? I personally want to be given the option of what the doctors and nurses give me if I am able at the time! When I make a simple mistake at work it doesn't have the potential to harm someone as it does in the Hospital! WHOOPS I forgot ha ha just doesn't cut it!!

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tompdx3

WOW do I disagree with you!! Do you work in the Medical field? How many "mistakes" are made on people already? I personally want to be given the option of what the doctors and nurses give me if I am able at the time! When I make a simple mistake at work it doesn't have the potential to harm someone as it does in the Hospital! WHOOPS I forgot ha ha just doesn't cut it!!

Doctors and nurses are human too, it's REALITY. Planes go down because of human error at times, work related accidents are usually caused by HUMAN ERROR. People make mistakes no matter how high of importance the profession is. Like I said, it's REALITY. Welcome to it.

And just because your job isn't as of importance of a doctor or nurse, does that give you the right to make little mistakes?

[edit on 12-9-2009 by Tomis_Nexis]

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
They should have told her first but I will tell you that this is the norm now. They have learned that whooping cough (pertussis) can come back whether you had it as a child or had a vaccine. It does not behave the same way in adults as it does children and parents can pass it to their children or others.

If you are going to get a vaccine, the fact is, you are already getting the bad stuff so what is all the fuss about, except for the fact that she had the right to be informed before making the decision. There is plain Tetanus available.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
My husband just had to get a tetanus shot a few months ago, and they included diphtheria in it. We were told before it he got the shot that it would be included and the reasoning was since we experienced a sever flood 2 years ago, horrible wind/storm damage last year, and an ice storm earlier this year, the local CDC was suggesting to have the diphtheria added to it. I m looking at all the paper work and I never saw anything about whooping cough. That is a little bit bs not telling someone before hand that this shot has extra stuff in it. Oh the only reason he got the shot, it was a rusted barely recognizable roofing nail and his last shot was 8 years ago. Normally we are a bleed it out, salve and bandage type people. But that was a little too nasty and too long ago for us to risk it.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by KiliRae

KiliRae, if there's one thing Americans are obsessed about it, it's health. We read, see and hear about all these diseases. This stuff will drive you insane, the market's flooded with medication for anything you can think of, and now they're combining medication in a vaccine. It IS INSANE what's going on with the health fear there.

But, to the thread...the nurse made a mistake and didn't tell the patient about the whooping cough meds before hand. We all make mistakes. It's not going to kill the patient.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Well, I agree, most everybody is human and can make a mistake. When I make a mistake (which is of course, rare
) I try and not do it again. Self improvement and all that. But I think when we just cop an attitude of no big deal then we all start creating a
mindset where more and potentially dangerous "mistakes" can happen. I would like to see
a better reality for us, not the same old, same old. Wouldn't you? I do realize this one incident is not earth shattering, but everything is connected and can have an effect.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Tompdx3

I understand. We all make mistakes, and it's been in our nature to slack at times. It happens, it sucks, but, it happens. Some of us get affected by it, some don't, it's unfortunate but it's how life goes.

The the trick is not to think about it, it'll drive you insane.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   

What's the difference between all the vaccines containing tetanus toxoid? It's like alphabet soup! Tetanus toxoid is available as a single shot (TT) but is rarely given that way as it's best to also provide needed protection against other diseases at the same time. Tetanus toxoid can be combined with diphtheria toxoid as DT (for children younger than age 7 years) or as Td (for persons age 7 years and older). It can also be combined with diphtheria and pertussis as DTaP (for children younger than age 7 years) or as Tdap (for persons ages 10 through 64 years). Lastly, DTaP is also part of four childhood combination vaccines that include other vaccines (e.g., IPV, Hib, HepB).

Vaccine informattion

I can tell you from working in the field that just plain tetanus is rarely given and until lately they gave DT. Now it is DTap because of the relatively recently discovered information that whooping cough continues to occur in adults.

As I stated before, you should always be informed first but sometimes nurses/doctors take thing for granted because it is so normal for them.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
A big Thank You to the OP and to everyone who added their comments. Welcome to the New Normal.

Next time I go to an independent pharmacy, I will ask if just plain tetanus vaccine is available. If they say yes, I will post back here to let you know.

top topics

join