It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Images of Tehran, Iran (May shock)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
here in the west , through our media we have an image of Iranians all being screaming militant Islamists. thats the way our media likes to portray Iranians for their own selfish interests.veery unhelpful

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Put up some pics of the run down sections of Detroit, the streets of Watts in LA or any other "slum" areas of any city you wish. Add in the videos of "Cops" and "Bad Boys" and "Americas Police Chases" and then show this to the people of the world and they will think we are a country in ruin and our streets are full of criminals and druggies.
I know of people in Europe and Asia that believe there still are cowboys and native Indians riding around killing each other because of the westerns that are shown over there.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Beautiful pictures

I think Iran is a lot like the U.S.

The government is not the true voice of the people.

I suggest watching this movie if you want an insight into the people of Iran.

It's available on netflix for instant watching.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I can't say this shocked, though I do appreciate your initiative to get people to view all humans as being the same on a level. Unfortunately many of these pictures seem to depict the same elitist, sh__ty part of society that america suffers from, but a good start none the less. It's not just Iran, it is the world....WE ARE ONE, whether people decide to let that pass through their amazingly thick skulls on a REAL level is a choice obviously left to the individual.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by VirginiaGreen
I can't say this shocked, though I do appreciate your initiative to get people to view all humans as being the same on a level. Unfortunately many of these pictures seem to depict the same elitist, sh__ty part of society that america suffers from, but a good start none the less. It's not just Iran, it is the world....WE ARE ONE, whether people decide to let that pass through their amazingly thick skulls on a REAL level is a choice obviously left to the individual.

i know what you're saying... many of them represent capitalism. I will say though, the "shocked" description was meant sarcastically...

[edit on 12-9-2009 by and14263]

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Oh, yeah? And what is the good 'ol USA? Do you even understand what a "fascist state" is? Look around you, smell the coffee, friend. This country is about as "backward" as you can get, in so many ways. Knee-jerk reactionaries have just about bankrupted this once great nation, with never-ending wars, fought for no damned good reason.

First of all, I don't live in USA.
Second, Iran is a dump. Ok?
No cars, or buildings or whatever is gonna change that.
Their society and system is backward and I very much doubt anything there will ever change.
You have a state ran by religious leaders (or at least having a say on almost every matter) and a dictatorship regime (remmember the recent uprisings there, how did they end?)

I used to belong to the peacefull hippy mentality "Oh they will and can change, they have potential, they're trying to change things.." well screw that..they haven't done so for the last 600 years and they most likely won't any time soon.

Look at Saudi Arabia: rich and developed cities..but hey, if you're Christian you'll be treated as a second class citizen, if you steal something they'll cut your hand and if you beat a woman, you'll get compensated for 'doing a good job' and she may get stoned in the process.

So, we have a planet Earth and part of it is basically still in middle ages.
What's so beautiful about that?

[edit on 12-9-2009 by BlackShark]

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I'm more shocked at the amount of stars and flags this thread got.

Not because it's a bad thing, no it's great, but more because it seems so many people see such a thread as an eye opener.

The media tries to seperate the human race too much, there is way too much propaganda out there....

Anyway good thread.

p.s music is always a great way of communcating without language barriers, so check out arabic and iranian music videos and tv shows etc for a more general idea of the true nature of the cultures, emotions and lives of the real people of these countries.

Peace.

[edit on 12-9-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Great idea posting these.
Things are never what they seem -
Or what we've been told.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by and14263

Originally posted by VirginiaGreen

i know what you're saying... many of them represent capitalism. I will say though, the "shocked" description was meant sarcastically...

[edit on 12-9-2009 by and14263]

I gotcha, seems my sarcasm meter is broken

thanks for the post and response nonetheless, peace be with you my brotha.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Amazing insight of the iranian culture we don't see. Media really portrays them diferently. They have beautiful feilds and places to see. Makes me want to vaction there.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Few, if any, Americans have any argument with Iran. Normally, we want everyone to live in peace. We observe their cruel treatment of women under Sharia law, their nuclear program in a Muslim country that has no incentive to disable terrorism against the West, and their rhetoric of their leader. From a political point of view, Iran is a threat to Israel and ultimately to us via Israel and other free nations with which we align diplomatically.

You may notice that few comments come from the US with negative statements unless Iran brings up an argument. They have a kind of "in your face" disrespect for us, and then complain how we treat them.

The effort of our President to smooth the feathers of the Iranian leaders is a good idea. Media fomenting our grass roots is harmful to future world peace. However, on the peace side, we seem to be making all the initiatives toward peace, not Iran.

The population of Iran wants peace, they just can't seem to elect officials that are doves. That is the reason so many were in the streets. The believed they had a solid victory for peace, that they were removing their Pres who was giving them a hard line stance against the West, but not so. In spite of the photos, what they say is more important to us than how they look.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Excellent post S+F

The following shows it all to, that is the truth:

BBC

Although Iran and Israel are bitter enemies, few know that Iran is home to the largest number of Jews anywhere in the Middle East outside Israel.

About 25,000 Jews live in Iran and most are determined to remain no matter what the pressures - as proud of their Iranian culture as of their Jewish roots.

BBC
Though some sources as below have it much higher!

Dont hear that on fox or the hill either in Washington or Jerusalem eh?

Infact many I am sure would be very very suprised in the USA to discover most of the Jewish population of New York and California are infact PERSIAN Jews that is from Iran!

Many left after the American Supported overthrow of the shah and the nation building (destruction it should be called) the USA did back then in Iran:

Persian Jews or Iranian Jews are Jews historically associated with Iran, traditionally known as Persia in Western sources.

Judaism is one of the oldest religions practiced in Iran and dates back to the late biblical times. The biblical books of Isaiah, Daniel, Ezra, Nehemiah, Chronicles, and Esther contain some references to the experiences of Jews in Persia. Some material has been validated by Biblical scholars.

Today, the largest groups of Jews who emigrated from Iran in the 20th century are found in Israel and the United States. In 1993, Israel was home to 75,000 Iranian Jews, including second-generation Israelis.[4]

The United States is home to approximately 100,000 Iranian Jews, who have settled especially in the Los Angeles area and Great Neck, New York. Those in Los Angeles have settled mostly in the Westside upper-class cities of Beverly Hills and Santa Monica and the Los Angeles Westside neighborhoods of Brentwood, Westwood, and West L.A., as well as the San Fernando Valley communities of Tarzana and Encino. According to the former mayor of Beverly Hills, Iranians make up at least a fifth of the resident population of Beverly Hills (many of them Jewish), and a third of the student body at the local high school.[5][6]

Source

Well Well I am sure many are suprised by that, I know i was many years ago when I first found out....

And also I was shocked, considering the information propogated about Iran etc and what is shown on TV to discover they were protected under Iranian Law:

The current Jewish population of Iran is estimated by most sources to be 25,000,[7][8][9][10] though estimates vary, as low as 11,000 [11] and as high as 40,000[12]. Notable population centers include Tehran, Isfahan (1,200)[11], and Shiraz. Historically, Jews maintained a presence in many more Iranian cities. Jews are protected in the Iranian constitution.[8] Iran hosts the largest Jewish population of any Muslim-majority country.[13] After Israel, it is home to the second-largest Jewish population in the Middle East.[7]

Source

Oh I see maybe just maybe the issues Iran has with Israel are not against the people but the Israeli government actions and behaviour to other Arabs.

Just like I like and admire the good American people, culture and America, have been in love with one Cali Girl, but despise the very very select few who attack and kill innocent people around the world, and lie to us every day....on the hill...

MMmm

I think I understand it more now?

How about you?

Kind Regards

Elf

Edit for link/spelling

[edit on 12-9-2009 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
(SARCASM) No, these pictures are nothing but propaganda! The real Tehran is a hole in the ground. With lots of camels and Ak-47 wielding insane people! It is neither colorful, nor beautiful, nor worthy of survival. It should - nay, must! - be obliterated. (/SARCASM)

While I strongly oppose the religious theocracy in Iran (as I do in many nations, including the creeping one in this country - in my opinion,) I do also feel that the picture presented of adversarial capitals of the world are not fully accurate depictions of these places, including Iran.

EDIT: The first portion of this post was intended to be SARCASM. I have added tags to denote this. I apologize for any confusion of offense incurred as a result of the sarcasm tags I initially posted not showing up. I placed them in HTML brackets, which apparently masked them.

[edit on 9/12/2009 by AceWombat04]

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
very beautiful country.
I hope many more people will see these pic's.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by AceWombat04

AceWombat04 said........
It is neither colorful, nor beautiful, nor worthy of survival. It should - nay, must! - be obliterated.

It's people with attitudes like yours which has led us to be in our current situation. You desire the illegal invasion a beautiful country and people and turn it into this,

To go as far as obliteration goes........

Warning from China and Russia.....

Should that scenario come to pass, lets hope the first bomb gets dropped in your neighbourhood.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Psychoses
reply to post by AceWombat04

AceWombat04 said........
It is neither colorful, nor beautiful, nor worthy of survival. It should - nay, must! - be obliterated.

It's people with attitudes like yours which has led us to be in our current situation. You desire the illegal invasion a beautiful country and people and turn it into this,

To go as far as obliteration goes........

Warning from China and Russia.....

Should that scenario come to pass, lets hope the first bomb gets dropped in your neighbourhood.

Apparently my (sarcasm) tags didn't show up. I put them in html brackets which is probably why. I was being entirely sarcastic. I was trying to make precisely the opposite point. I apologize for the confusion. Read my signature, the rest of the above post agreeing that the media DOES distort our view or other countries that they view as adversarial, and any of my other posts on this site, and you'll find that I am staunchy opposed to violence of ANY kind, let alone warfare.

[edit on 9/12/2009 by AceWombat04]

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
in my opinion the shocking and sad thing is that so many of the american people can be shocked by these images

we have been so manipulated and misled we dont even recognize reality when its shown to us

another thing i think we have to keep in mind is that there is a lot we dont know, not only about iran but about our own country

we look at these pictures and we think, oh iran cant be as bad as they make it out to be if it looks like this

well in america there are also many beautiful places and things, but we also have a lot of things wrong with our country

just like iran, neither of our leaders are saints, neither are great people

they both have made and continue to make many mistakes, both are oppressive in their own ways

we need to find a way to end the propaganda and uncover the truth

propaganda continuing will only cause a continuous war, but if we can actually uncover all the truths, maybe we can start working to ends these wars and this politically aggressive gesturing

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I don't know what's displayed on American media but it makes me sad someone is so shocked to see a civilization inside Iran... if that is what is shocking on those pictures, not sure what you expected to be honest.

Anyway, no one should be attacked by another country, no matter how many buildings, cars and golf courts they have.

It is reasonable to defend your allies against a military occupation, but not if it's only potential.

I mean, you don't need much imagination and pictures to realize that bombing Iran would be a crime.

Not that this issue is relevant whatsoever to those who are almost homeless in US. Some of you are losing your own cars & houses... I'd rather invest everything in getting back my own democracy rather than enforcing it on middle east. I feel so arrogant for saying all this, but if some of you had real problems, or be more aware of your real problems, I bet you would care less about pictures of Iran.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
people across the world are no different than us. People want peace. Most abhor what their government and big businesses are doing to the earth and our lives. We are ruled by an iron hand, deceived daily, our hard earned money is taken for foolish and selfish reasons, and those in power are unaccountable for their deeds.

Iranian people, i would surmise, are no different than those here that want the bullcrap to end. it will only end when the bankster gangsters, the big multinational businesses and the corrupt governments are overthrown.

Thank you for the pictures. They provide a peek into how Iranians enjoy life as well.

[edit on 12-9-2009 by allclear]

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

Nice photos! Iranian hippies looked just like western hippies back then. Now the beards have another meaning.......

And also, whoever said that Iraq looked like crap before the invasion is also wrong. We alll know that the UN sanctions pretty much starved the country and the invasion destroyed it. Let apart from the looting...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join