It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't copy that floppy 2 (propaganda)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Copernicus
They have tried thinking like hackers

No, they really, really, haven't
The stuff they miss is idiotic.

Sure, you can try and lock people into certain formats so they have to pay, but in the end they will want to move away from that platform and find another one.

Well what if all of the platforms are equally as well protected?

There will be alternatives in the future where you can buy a access card and get onto the net wirelessly from anywhere using any numbers of providers. Internet access will be dirt cheap.

But wait a minute. If everything you suggest is going to be 'dirt cheap' then there will be no need to advertise it. So bang goes the money from advertising, and goodbye google...

Ads in movies: Nope. And there wont be, because people wont accept it.

Exactly. So, advertising does not work for everything. It's way out of hand on TV now, and we still pay for that, so clearly it doesn't pay enough.

Sorry, but thats the way it is with capitalism.

Well you seem to be suggesting that pretty much everything will end up being free, which doesn't sound much like capitalism at all...

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
dude theres no way they can control us THAT MUCH,u see what happens all the time,they try to opress us little by litte,tightening the grip,but in the end we start to rise up and they cant risk civil unrest.
its very hard all the companies to work together against us,couse they want SELLS,and competition is on OUR side,even if some of them work together,people will just get pissed of and stop playing at all...and they looose,so...i dont really see a way of them winning

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Clickfoot

BEST ANTI-PIRACY AD EVER!

[edit on 12-9-2009 by muggl3z]

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clickfoot
Well what if all of the platforms are equally as well protected?

Then they crack all of them once they crack one of them.
But I see what you mean. I think you are asking what if there was a way to combine hardware and software so that it simply wouldnt be a way to bypass protection. Well, no. Because you could always write another operating system and bypass the whole thing altogether. You would in fact need a complete totalitarian big brother system to prevent any kind of competition to succeed with this I think. Either that or limit knowledge of computer systems to certain people, but that will be hard.

But wait a minute. If everything you suggest is going to be 'dirt cheap' then there will be no need to advertise it. So bang goes the money from advertising, and goodbye google...

No, I said Internet access will be dirt cheap. It will be even cheaper than TV is today. Its natural in a future where the web is your connection to everything.

Exactly. So, advertising does not work for everything. It's way out of hand on TV now, and we still pay for that, so clearly it doesn't pay enough.

No, it doesnt work for everything, I didnt say that. Ads are something nobody likes. It only works if its non-intrusive and not annoying. The way it is today where it is interrupting TV programs is one reason why people go for pirated TV shows instead so they can have focus and peace of mind while enjoying the show.

Of course it pays enough. Its their greed that has no limits.

Well you seem to be suggesting that pretty much everything will end up being free, which doesn't sound much like capitalism at all...

Nope, not free, but not payed for in the same way as it is today. Instead of going to a shop to buy a movie in a box, you will have people subscribing for streaming instead. Im sorry if Im not being clear about this.

[edit on 12-9-2009 by Copernicus]

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stillalive
dude theres no way they can control us THAT MUCH

Sure they can. As you said, they want to sell stuff, so obviously they're going to prefer it if you can't copy it. There's nothing wrong with them selling stuff and no reason why anybody SHOULD get it for free.

"The system needs to change" - why? Just because people don't want to pay for stuff?

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
another example,where norton put a spyware in theyr update,people found it and started ranting on theyr forums,they deleted all complains like it never happend removed the traces from the update and gived some "technical mistake cr*p probably"
and what did they accomplished? instead of trying to make a lightet better program like threatfire that is free,they focus on spying on people with theyr heavy and stupid program. well congrats symantec,u just lost a LOT of clients with this fiasco axxaxaaxaxa

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
and that is a great example,why we cant copy floppys when they can BRAKE THE LAW and spy on us?
well if they can break the law,just couse theyr the elite and cant get caught. well we will see about that
arrogantic bastards,hallowed is the day i see them ruined!

[edit on 12-9-2009 by Stillalive]

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   

"The system needs to change" - why? Just because people don't want to pay for stuff?

Because you cant charge for something that can be copied for free. You may as well try to charge for air.

You need to find other means to get payed, such as charging for support and services.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I walk away to play some pirated Pokemon games and the thread is on page 3, wow.

I remember that "You wouldn't steal a car..." video. The biggest problem with it is, their definition of piracy is incorrect. Theft removes the original, piracy makes a copy. That's why antipiracy laws even exist--it's not covered under theft laws. The Supreme Court even ruled that piracy is not theft.

Source: Dowling v. United States (1985)

interference with copyright does not easily equate with theft, conversion, or fraud. The Copyright Act even employs a separate term of art to define one who misappropriates a copyright: ... 'an infringer of the copyright.' ...

The infringer invades a statutorily defined province guaranteed to the copyright holder alone. But he does not assume physical control over the copyright; nor does he wholly deprive its owner of its use. While one may colloquially link infringement with some general notion of wrongful appropriation, infringement plainly implicates a more complex set of property interests than does run-of-the-mill theft, conversion, or fraud.

—Dowling v. United States, 473 U.S. 207, pp. 217–218

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Trevlac

Well, in our current system, corporations can change the law interpretation into whatever they want by using lawyers. In combination with bribes, they are above the law.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Because you cant charge for something that can be copied for free. You may as well try to charge for air.

...don't think somebody hasn't thought of that

I don't agree with your statement, though. As I said before, I have no problem paying for a CD (as long as they don't suddenly jack the price up to $20+ from the $9 it was a week ago, just because the band is touring
) but I WANT to be able to copy it, so I can listen to it on an MP3 player. When you start protecting it so I CAN'T do that is when I suddenly don't want to pay for it anymore.

You need to find other means to get payed, such as charging for support and services.

But you see my problem with this? You need to find 'some other means' just because people think it's ok to copy it for free? I don't buy that.

I agree with you by the way Trevlac - 'theft' is definitely the wrong word.

[edit on 12-9-2009 by Clickfoot]

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   

But you see my problem with this? You need to find 'some other means' just because people think it's ok to copy it for free? I don't buy that.

Well yes I understand were you are coming from. But the golden rule is to give people what they want to succeed in business. Charging for digital ones and zeroes in a digital world will be as difficult as charging for sand in a desert.

Oh, and your example of upping the price and so on is representing everything wrong with the system. Instead of being happy there will be extra sales, they try to squeeze as much money they can from it. Their greed knows no limits. People today dont like greedy companies that take advantage of every situation to their own advantage. Its like a friend that just exploits you. Nobody likes that. Its a moral issue really.

In the future, I believe having good relations with your customers will actually mean something, and companies will do what they can to help people out instead of robbing them blind. Because if they dont, the power of the Internet will spread the word and the immoral company will start losing money if others agree their behavior had no excuse.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Clickfoot

Needing to find some other means because people won't pay for it is a perfectly viable solution. There's a real problem: people do not like to pay for infinitely copyable goods with 100% margin on them.

There are many solutions but the one that repeatedly fails time and again is trying to get them to pay for the very items they don't want to pay for. The people simply will not pay for them and in addition, many of them will acquire the medium anyway.

It isn't about what "should be" or "shouldn't be" or even about what's legal. It's what actually occurs.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
even if pirating is a tough issue,they cant really expect us to not copy backup our stuff can they? with the quality of cds ill be a fool not to.and if my cd gets scratched i have to buy a new one?yea right life is not fair so make it fair!
the thing is THEY WONT CHANGE anything with oppressing protection.
they should just do like ea now,make great games,reasanoble prices
and...........THE BIG ONE
put some content,prizes in the box version,so fans can get really dragged to buy it...for the toy...or map..or something cool
seee how EASY IT IS TO STOP PIRATING THE NICE RIGHT WAY?

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Let's all steal intellectual property and use it as we wish. That is what countries like China and Saudi Arabia do. After all they are to be admired and emulated.

Artists are screwed by the major labels and it makes no sense for the consumers to screw them again. Many artists have formed their own labels and bought back their musical catalogs from the record companies. P2P sharing screws them.

I work as a 3d artist, uv mapper, and texture painter. I diligently look out for myself and others like me and when I find somebody STEALING from another artist, I report it.

I am amazed at the people who try to rationalize stealing.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Stillalive

This is why, even though I pirated Pokemon Soul Silver, I am totally going to buy it. That little uploadable pedometer v-pet is nostalgia in a can. Not to mention that Nintendo did a superb job with this game. And even as I sit here downloading Scribblenauts, I have a distinct feeling that I'll be buying it too because it looks rad.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

Imagine how much money you could make if you would switch to consulting and charging for spreading the knowledge how to create great renderings instead of delivering a digital product that will be copied by everybody anyway.

Is it really such a strange concept that most digital creations will not be sold for money in the future? To me its obvious. Already today you have a surplus of free stuff all over the web. If people dont feel your stuff is worth paying for, they pick the free stuff. Consumer power baby.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

What you said about emulating China is both a Hasty Generalization and Circumstantial Ad Hominem.

And you'd be incorrect about the "STEALING" part if you live in the United States. Our Supreme Court ruled copyright infringement not stealing (see above).

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Copernicus

$10 says he silently takes your advice. (Then makes a lot more money).

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Trevlac

I wish.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join