It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Search engines that do log your computers IP address

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I heard an ad on the radio for a search engine that said that two of the biggest search engines keep track of where you have searched.
I thought I would pass it along.

Startpage.com - Advertised that it didn't record ip address.

Yahoo - records your computers IP address - Spy
Google - records your computers IP address - Spy

Dogpile.com??? (my personal favorite but I don't know if it tracks my every online move. )

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by ..5..
Yahoo - records your computers IP address - Spy
Google - records your computers IP address - Spy

So does ATS, does that mean ATS is a spy as well?

Dogpile.com??? (my personal favorite but I don't know if it tracks my every online move. )

I think you need a break from conspiracy sites. If you are worried about search engines, then you need to get off the Internet in whole, as every site you visit is also logged at your own ISP. Using a proxy is redundant, as you have to go thru your ISP to get to the proxy.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by ..5..

It's possible to turn off the yahoo web beacon. Instructions on how to do that are here.

I rarely use yahoo, but I used to have yahoo mail and I turned the beacon off. My internet surfing actually got a little faster... of course that was during the days of dial up, lol.

I'm going to search and see if this can be done with Google also...

EDIT: Ok, this is what I found for Google...

NOTE: You MAY have to be logged into a google account to do this.. I'm not sure.

First, go to the Google Privacy Policy and scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the link that says full privacy policy. Under the heading Choices for Personal Information, click on the Ads Preferences Manager link.
Scroll down and click the Opt Out button.

It says that you will still see ads, but Google wont be tracking you so that they can personalize your ads.

That is as much as I found for Google, but there may be more... if anyone has additional info, please post it.

Edited again for grammar... sheesh, I hate using bad grammar!

[edit on 9/12/2009 by gemineye]

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Misfit

I'm not really "worried" about being tracked. I mean, I don't care if they know what I search for or whatever. I just don't like that it seems to slow things down a bit. Don't know about the OP, but I don't really see a conspiracy here.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I use Cuil as my homepage and in their "philosophy" page, they say this:

Cuil analyzes the Web, not its users

Privacy is a hot topic these days, and we want you to feel totally comfortable using our service. Because Cuil analyzes Web pages and not click-throughs, we don’t need to know your search history and habits. So our privacy policy is very simple: when you search with Cuil, we do not keep any personally identifiable information, period. We have no idea who sends queries: not by name, not by IP address, and not by cookie. Your search history is your business, not ours. We don’t need to keep logs of our users’ search activity, so we don’t.

I have no connection with cuil, other than to use it for safe searching on sensitive topics; I frequently use Google on generic, bland topics.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by gemineye
reply to post by Misfit

I'm not really "worried" about being tracked. I mean, I don't care if they know what I search for or whatever. I just don't like that it seems to slow things down a bit.

Use Firefox with the Adblock Plus extension, block every URL with google-analytics in it (add a blocking rule and type *google-analytics*) and they are not a problem anymore.

I also recommend the NoScript plugin. It blocks all scripts on all pages by defaults so you have to permit the ones you want. Its not for the complete beginner, but Ive found it fairly easy. It takes just a mouse click to allow a site or a embedded flash movie. Not only does it make your browser extremely safe, it also makes it faster.

For example, you can allow all scripts on abovetopsecret.com but not the linked in scripts from quantcast.com and google-analytics.com that is present in these pages. Everything still works like it should, naturally, since those scripts are just for ads and spying.

[edit on 12-9-2009 by Copernicus]

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by gemineye

Actually that does not turn off all beacons from yahoo.

In order to turn off all beacons you must go to

www.networkadvertising.org...

Please note that in order to turn off these beacons you must accept a cookie, so if you are not accepting cookies you will not be able to turn them off.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by ..5..

This has been known for some time now. Go to google.com and look at your cookies. One is a "pref" cookie that logs your preferences while you are on the site. One of your prefs is the I address of your PC. Want a gret search engine that doesn't spy on you, and places only a session cookie? Here ya go.
clusty.com...
Clusty uses "clusters" to separate the finds, and is similar to google. I have used Clusty for many years, and always make it my Home Page.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I use Startpage.com Search Engine "The World's Most Private Search Engine". Not only do they not record the user's IP Address at all, but they delete their users' privacy data within 48 hrs obtained by User ID Cookie (they do not use unique identifier cookies, only a single Anonymous Cookie), history, search terms, the time of your visit, the links you choose so that they can never fall into the wrong hands (because even though such history and search terms are anonymized, it has been shown that identity can still be obtained from anonymous and randomized data through analysis).

Startpage also uses a Secure Socket Layer encryption protocol to establish a secure connection between your browser and Startpage's servers.
Startpage uses SSL to hide your search terms from anyone who might be monitoring traffic between your browser and Startpage's servers.

They are currently the only Search Engine that does this, taking Privacy very seriously, and not just on paper.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by sligtlyskeptical

Hey, thanks! I didn't know about that. Will do!

Line 2

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
They don't need cookies, plugins, or scripts to track your IP address. They automatically know your IP address. When you request information or searches they need to know your IP address in order to send the requested information back to your computer. That's just how the internet works.

Whether they keep logs of that ip address is up to each individual website owner. (Unless there are laws requiring them to keep logs. I don't know.)

[edit on 12-9-2009 by theyreadmymind]

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I tried searchpage and it is so slow I don't care who watches me.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I use scroogle for sensitive searches

no cookies | no search-term records | access log deleted within 48 hours

www.scroogle.org...

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Just start searcing as a googlebot 2.0. by changing your user agent in your browser . No websites like wasting space for info on a google bot so they don't track info on you if your user agent says googlebot2.0

new topics

top topics

join