It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SAS Training Libyan Troops

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   

SAS Training Libyan Troops

www.dailymail.co.uk

The SAS is training Libyan troops, it emerged last night.

The elite special forces unit has been passing on its combat expertise to Colonel Gaddafi's soldiers for the last six months.

The move, another sign of the growing relationship between the UK and the oil-rich country, has appalled military veterans who recall how Libya supplied the Provisional IRA with guns and explosives to kill British soldiers.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Senior Army officers have called it 'morally wrong' that they have to train troops in a country which once armed the terrorists they were fighting.

A Special Air Service source told The Daily Telegraph: 'A small SAS training team have been doing it for the last six months as part of this cosy deal with the Libyans.

Another soldier added: 'The IRA was our greatest adversary, now we are training their backers. There was a weary rolling of the eyes when we were told about this.'

Wow...I had no idea that was going on, and with the release of the Lockerbie bomber....what a slap in the face to Great Britain!

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

CX

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 05:05 AM
link   
I'd seriously suggest that anyone who has a problem with this, whilst they may be right in thinking this is bad, they should do a search for certain other countries that have trained actual terrorist organisations in the past.

It would certainly open a few peoples eyes.

This is most definately not something anyone should be suprised about.

CX.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Didn't the IRA get alot of funding from America too?

But the army is off somewhere else fighting their war making our country more dangerous...so why is this so terrible all of a sudden?

[edit on 12-9-2009 by StevenDye]

[edit on 12-9-2009 by StevenDye]

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 05:46 AM
link   
I guess when I was reading it, I was really getting the feeling for how Governments are all about the benjamins....I know that goes without saying, but can you imagine being one of those soldiers and having to do that training? I am not saying anyone should be surprised, I just found it rather shocking I guess.

CX

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by desertdreamer
I guess when I was reading it, I was really getting the feeling for how Governments are all about the benjamins....I know that goes without saying, but can you imagine being one of those soldiers and having to do that training? I am not saying anyone should be surprised, I just found it rather shocking I guess.

I know what you mean, i'm not sure i could do that now.

Yes the some Americans did help fund the IRA, but not all.

I remember being sat in a guard tower the day after a mate of mine was shot dead, a bus full of American tourists came along after a trip to a fundraiser down south and stopped to buy their pro IRA t-shirts from the local gift shop.

It wasn't just tourists and sympathizers though that thought it funny to visit that shop....i could name certain politicians that did the same, whilst they were playing the peace loving MP elsewhere.

Ah well, these things will never change.

CX.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Is this not how Sadam stayed in power for as long as he did? American aid - CIA funds? Americans had to die by their own country men manufactured arms and ammo. When will the next lot of American Soldiers die against this new WMD? Are the profits to the few Rich worth this bloodshed? How much longer is the American people going to allow this to happen? First I am angry then I am sad because this will always be an on going process....

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
How convenient for President Qaddafi and his armed services. When Britain steps on his toes again, and he shakes his terrorism stick at them, he will have professionally trained fighters to blow stuff up in the UK and their interests abroad. I find this revelation inconvenient for the UK and is making them vulnerable. Qaddafi may be a friend now but who knows what he will be down the road.

To have a professionally trained force on par with the British Special Air Service is quite scary in deed! What if these soldiers go rogue like the Zetas in Mexico and work as independent contractors for say terrorist organizations or some other criminal enterprise? These soldiers will have some of the best intelligence, weapons, explosives, tactics, and survivalist training on the planet. We have already seen what soldiers have done on the Mexican border for the drug cartels with their training from a world power. Here is an example of what the United State's had done with regard to training foreign troops like what UK is doing at present with Libya.

The caption below comes from a Joint Force Quarterly Article from 2000, entitled, "Mexico's search for a new military identity - Statistical Data Included," by Craig A. Deare.

[url=http://findarticles.com... [/url]

The first meeting was held in December 1995 in San Antonio at a downtown hotel rather than a military installation. Over the next four years the group experienced successes and failures because of many factors. Of the original topics, airspace sovereignty was dropped at the outset because of Mexican reluctance to discuss such issues with the U.S. military.

In the end the group focused on counternarcotics, owing to Mexican interest in the issue. This underscores a major lesson: Mexico aggressively put sues matters of national interest but only politely entertains others. In an effort to make the relationship work, DOD developed a plan to assist in counternarcotics. The first element was a train-the-trainer program, implemented with counterdrug funding. More than 3,000 soldiers were trained between 1996 and 1999, mostly at Fort Bragg by the 7th Special Forces Group in tactics, techniques, and procedures for Mexico's airmobile special forces groups. This aspect of the program was relatively successful.

So there you have it and what is described above is the same group that are pillaging Mexico and the boarder for the drug cartels. So maybe the UK government should look no further than the US to see what happens when you share trade secrets with a foreign power?

[edit on 12-9-2009 by Jakes51]

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
We are a scummy nation, and we will sell our services to, and train anyone who has the money. It doesn't matter if your country is a basketcase, or if you are a pariah state, or if you attacked us in the past, or if you might attack us in the future, if you have cash, we will arm and train you.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I certainly hope that the SAS is showing these troops how to properly clean a loaded weapon while looking down the barrel and testing the trigger.

Reminds me of Afghanistan in the 80's. What is Libya preparing for? They have been quiet for far too long.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I think the big problem here is the SAS are not happy with doing this,some of the old timers still in this regiment clearly remember their time with the IRA.
It must be a hell of an insult to train troops that supplied weapons to kill you not so long ago!

I dont think our best troops should train anyone,no matter the country or politics

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

I think this is part of something a lot bigger, imagine if Israel goes after Iran.. It would be good for the West to have the Libyan oil available to us to use should the ME sources be difficult to come by... and nothing works more than a bit of military cooperation.. (albeit that approach only seems to work for a short amount of time)

I guess under those circumstances any reservations anyone might have about working with this tinpot leader would go out the window in favour of the oil and ensuring Libya stays neutral. Would it matter to those in power how anyone else felt about this move?

Knowing that the SAS have been in Libya for 6 months demonstrates to me at least that the US, especially the Obama administration knew about the whole Libyan deal all the way along. When you consider the UK and US special forces train together.. the US might consider any training the SAS might give to a 3rd party as also giving away how their special forces operate..

So I see that no way would the UK have done that without the blessing and agreement from the US and I would have thought the actual plans for training the Libyans would have been draw up and approved on both sides of the pond.

[edit on 12-9-2009 by thoughtsfull]

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by IceHappy

That is exactly what I was meaning....how long will it go on? It seems people do not learn from their mistakes, and really just don't care at all.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

VERY well put....star for you.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by noangels

Exactly my point! Thanks for responding!

new topics

top topics

join