It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

purple mountain observatory:It’s an unidentified object, but ‘not a UFO’

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 01:56 AM
link   

It’s an unidentified object, but ‘not a UFO’
By Lin Shujuan (China Daily)
Updated: 2009-09-12 08:40

Ji said he doesn't know why his explanation about a bright spot close to the sun, very likely to be the result of some coronal activity filmed during the total eclipse, was misunderstood.

"Obviously, there have been misunderstandings," Ji says while speaking to China Daily
www.chinadaily.com.cn...

"very likely"; there's still a chance...

but he sure let the air out of this though...

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 02:25 AM
link   
I have no idea what that object or phenomenon is, so until someone puts forward a plausible explanation for it, it stays an 'Unidentified Celestial Phenomenon'

Of course the Director of the Observatory will deny seeing a UFO - and by that implicating that he assumes the erroneous definition of 'UFO' as an extra-terrestial space craft - anyone who knows the academic world and its scientific institutions understands that.

That would take a large chunk off his credibility, and probably risk future fundings, grants and career opportunities.

Therefore, his testimony is disqualified.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Heliocentric

"That's false news. I said 'an unidentified object' not 'an unidentified flying object'."

He was misquoted. He never said it was a UFO. There is no 40 minutes of footage. What the observatory sighted had nothing to do with what the university students took a picture of.

The translated article cited in the other threads on this topic make that quite clear.

[edit on 9/12/2009 by Phage]

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by reject

It’s an unidentified object, but ‘not a UFO’
By Lin Shujuan (China Daily)
Updated: 2009-09-12 08:40

Ji said he doesn't know why his explanation about a bright spot close to the sun, very likely to be the result of some coronal activity filmed during the total eclipse, was misunderstood.

"Obviously, there have been misunderstandings," Ji says while speaking to China Daily
www.chinadaily.com.cn...

"very likely"; there's still a chance...

but he sure let the air out of this though...

Of course, the call was made by the grand poobah and Chimerica like a humble servant made the decision to cover it up just like their uncle has done all these years.

So you and phage are now free to once again go merrily on your ignorant blind way and see nothing, nothing like sergeant Shultz.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

"What is an Unidentified Flying Object (UFO)? Well,
according to United States Air Force Regulation 80-17 (dated 19
September 1966), a UFO is "Any aerial Phenomenon or object which
is unknown or appears to be out of the ordinary to the
observer."

= UFO seen by observatory

UFO seen by students

= Origninal story still stands!

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by lalaland

Oh. We like definitions do we?

* Main Entry: ae·ri·al
* Pronunciation: \ˈer-ē-əl, ā-ˈir-ē-əl\
* Function: adjective
* Etymology: Latin aerius, from Greek aerios, from aēr
* Date: 1604

1 a : of, relating to, or occurring in the air or atmosphere b : existing or growing in the air rather than in the ground or in water c : high in the air d : operating or operated overhead on elevated cables or rails
2 : suggestive of air: as a : lacking substance b : fanciful, ethereal
3 a : of or relating to aircraft b : designed for use in, taken from, or operating from or against aircraft c : effected by means of aircraft
4 : of, relating to, or gained by the forward pass in football

www.merriam-webster.com...

The object was not in the atmosphere. But perhaps definition #2 does apply to those who are trying to distort what the astronomer said.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I'm pretty impressed with Ji Haisheng. He apparently understands the difference between an unidentified object and an unidentified flying object, even though those are English terms and I would assume English is his second language. I get the impression that some people who have English for a first language don't understand English as well as Ji does regarding those two terms.

Anyway, I don't see why it's such a big deal what anybody calls it. It is whatever it is.

If someone showed me a picture of a cigar shaped craft, if it was really a picture of the Goodyear blimp, calling it something different like a cigar shaped craft doesn't change what the object really is. What you call it only means so much, it seems to me that it's what the object really is that matters.

So I guess we have to give him a year and see if he can figure out what it is.

That is DEFINITELY a different object than what the students photographed so the photo linked in the OP clears up some confusion that I had about this issue.

[edit on 12-9-2009 by Arbitrageur]

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by reject

please, don't tell me that blue light is related to this maitreya bull...

new topics

top topics

join