It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Dumbing Down Of Society

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Theres a few things that have really bugged me as of late that I want to get off my chest.

1.Debit cards.
It doesn't make things more conveniant for the guy behind you as he has to wait for you to fish out the card(don't get me started on people who walk up to the cash not ready)then I have to wait for you to punch the numbers in and wait for it to be approved....then we go thru the process again because you hit a wrong button.
How conveniant it is for YOU.
I pay cash and am out the door quickly.
Just another case of the me me me syndrome.

2.Ipods
Why is there a need for these things?Whatever happened to actually just talking to a stranger while out in public?Whatever happened to just allowing yourself to think about life when you walk down the street?
Back in the day when we had walkmans I didn't see everybody have the NEED to own a walkman....whats the big deal today??Whatever happened to buying an album and looking at it from front to back?Why can't people quit being lazy and just get the cd and pop it in?

3.Junkmail.
In the age of protecting mother earth...why do we still allow junkmail yet scream to recycle everything?Is it not a better decision to just quit allowing junkmail?
I mean if people are gonna scream about the environment then why has there been no ban on junkmail??
My building get an insane amount in one month...I can't imagine how much the rest of the world gets.

4.HD TV
Do I really care how much better the quality is?
NO...I care about the content of what I am watching...I could careless if I can see the individual scratches on a brick behind the actor.I don't care about those little things as they have no revelance in the content of what I am watching.People say the picture is better....better then what?I remember having a black and white with no cable and was very happy with what I had.

5.People who call others sheep.
Its funny how this goes on and yet the person calling the name never realizes how much of a sheep they are.
Do you drive a car and use oil and gas?You are contributing to why we have no free energy.
Do you have a bank account?You are contributing to the international banking cartel.
We are all sheep and there are very few who aren't controlled by these things so enough calling others the sheep...if you live in a glass house then don't throw stones.

Thanks for letting me vent.
Don't shoot the messenger.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
Thanks for letting me vent.
Don't shoot the messenger.

Vent away. I won't shoot you. I have a strict "catch and release" policy anyway.

I have one myself :

The mandatory "desert espresso/coffee drink" laden with so much whipped cream and flavorings that you can't taste the coffee.

I remember the quiet coffeehouses brimming with intellectual discussion and working students....now it's all chatter and silence as people converse via the wireless internet server.

*sigh*

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

1. I at least have my card ready when I get to the cashier. I won't carry any large sums of money these days as it cannot be replaced if you are robbed!

2. IPods are the death of any society. People do not interact with each other anymore.

3. The Post Office loves junk, I mean bulk mail. It pays their bills and allows them to charge us a lot less to mail a letter or package. I do agree with you on the waste of paper, as I usually throw mine away (no recycling area near me).

4. I do admit I like the flat screens a lot more than the old CRTs. They are light and easy to carry when you want to move them. I have a small desk for my computer and the flat screen saves a lot of room.

5. A lot of the same people were for Dr Ron Paul when he ran for President. While I agree with some of what he states, I do not favor dumping Social Security or Medicare for investment programs. Especially after the crash of Wall Street. The rule of the Stock Market is what goes up must come down, just as in real life.

My pet peeve to add: Suburban Sprawl. I am so tired of seeing more shopping centers getting built when there are many in the same area that are empty. I used to like to see untouched fields, but that is becoming a rare sight nowadays.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   

It doesn't make things more conveniant for the guy behind you as he has to wait for you to fish out the card

sorry

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

I agree with you on most points, though I have to disagree with number one. I use the debit card all the time and I'm much faster swiping it than pulling out the cash. But then again that's just me, I don't like to waste time when I'm at the store, plus I don't use it when I know I don't have any money in the account. I guess being one of the flock on number one, I felt I had to defend myself lol.

Some things that I can add to this thread.

1. Bottled Water. Why are people buying something that not only pollutes the planet with the bottles, but isn't actually any cleaner than tap water. You can either buy a water purifier at the store or learn to do it on your own, it's not hard! Just because some rich idiots made it a fashion statement years ago doesn't make it ok. I have seen people pay almost four dollars for a bottle of water! "oh it's from the french alps, where the water is the purist in the whole world!" People just kill me when they buy into such nonsense marketing ploys. To me buying water like this is just like buying air, it is stupid, a waste of money and resources.

2. Infomercial products. This blows my mind on why people would waste money on cheap useless products that they'll either put into the trash, sell at a garage sale or just join the massive collection of unused junk in their homes. I realize people make choices, but come on people! My mom was even into buy crap on there. Again, more wasted money and resources, not to mention one of the many reasons I don't watch tv anymore.

3. Fads. Especially diet fads, but I'm also counting fashion and all other type of fads in this too. We all remember the low carb diet right? It drove me insane and some people still do it. You can over hear it at resturants still "yes may i have the carbs taken out completely please?" Any good doctor (yes they actually do exist) would tell you how stupid you were for following that garbage advice. Just because Oprah said this is the way, or some self appointed health expert or fashion guru says that is what people are to do. And people follow it obiediantly. It makes me wonder if people do actually research anything or when it comes to fad diet books, celebrity secrets books? Do they actually read through them? It's the same nonsense packaged differently every time. As for fashion, who can forget about the loose jeans trend? I remember even getting made fun of for not "having my underwear sticking out". Right now I think the trend is to wear them tight, which is just as bad as the opposite. What about a comfortable fit?

4. People killing over video games. Every time a new game that is coming out, or a new game system, you always hear of someone getting shot or beaten while waiting in line for these things when they come out at an outrageous price. I remember when the ps3 came out, people were just crazy waiting in line for it and it's not even that popular compared to it's predecessor. I don't play much video games any more just a select few on pc, but i don't get into much, so I could never understand why people just go crazy over this stuff when it's going to be in a dollar bin somewhere in a few years.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by kidflash2008

2. IPods are the death of any society. People do not interact with each other anymore.

I consider that a blessing. Usually when people try and engage me in conversation they tell me about their boring and banal lives, their children or about some dumbass sports team.

If you want to talk to me, ask me about me, me, me!!

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
Theres a few things that have really bugged me as of late that I want to get off my chest.

CONGRATULATIONS ... YOUR A WINNER

Your prizes include...
A pre-paid Debit card with a $500 balance...

A 600 gig Apple IPOD with all the accessories and your choice of colors (flaming pink or majestic purple)

A 73" 2160p HD TV with surround sound,dedicated satellite up-link with access to over 1200 channels,10tb DVR with quantum field remote (so you can program it anywhere in the universe.)

Apple6g 300 gig Iphone (satellite addition) with 300 built in apps and the special addition rick-rolled ringer pack.

A a 32 year all expense paid one way trip to the Falkland islands where you and a hostage of your choice can enjoy the scenic wonders of tending to a 340 head sheep farm. (shovel not included.)

To refuse this prize pack please press #666 and send a certified check for 7 dollars to P.O. Box 1337 Nairobi, Kenya.

[edit on 12-9-2009 by The Utopian Penguin]

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Drive thru's at drug stores and fast foods.

If you actually park and enter the establishment the employees ignore you while they wait on the lazy people sitting with their cars running.

Ban these things!

But debit cards are way better than waiting behind some old timer writing a check!

And you're not carrying a whole wad of paper in your wallet.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
There's also something called the internet. While it may house thousands upon thousands of hours of dumbing down material, it also contains the work of all human history's great philosophers, scientists, writers, artists, and general theorists concerning all of the above.

In one day, someone with internet access can go through the several thousand year history of a single science and then search for emerging breakthroughs in said science. With streaming videos, and an array of varying articles, anyone could become well versed in an advanced science to the point of having their own opinion on it in a matter of weeks to a few months. But what good is that when there are skateboarding kittens to be observed?

There may be a path in our society that rewards ignorance, but it is a sidewalk that can be deviated from and not a slide that must be followed all the way to the bottom.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Well I have a bit more to get off my chest again today.

To the dude who broke into my laundry machines...

To the people who talk about left this and right wing conservative that :shk:

You people drive me up the wall....heres another one for yas

To the people on this site that start threads with OMG or MUST READ.

To the person who knocked on my door to ask me where she should park...

Get your own brain and quit relying on me to make decisions for your dumbasses.Heres one for you as well

To the moron who was standing infront of the elevator and stairwell that asked how to get to the second floor.USE YOUR BRAIN IT WON'T HURT YOU!!!

Today is a day I am dealing with alot of stupidity and needed to get this off my chest.
Thankfully I have some 12 year old moonshine to help me attain a low level give a crap factor.
Thanks for letting me vent again.
I needed this.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   
On the ipod thing. I'm a public transportation rider. Having an ipod blocks the bull# that I would otherwise be subjected to. I have heard people have conversations about their venereal diseases on the train. My ipod keeps me from having to eventually hurt someone.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 04:10 AM
link   
plasma tv's are one of the coolest inventions woah^^
i just want to get a bigger and cooler tv so i can watch stuff (:
but yea..bottled water..those people..ARE REALLY REALLY DUMB!

especialy when i see some girl in a passegers seat in a dar and she has a bottle of water,like ur husband is just driving you to the store,its a 2 mile drive,you dont need your bottle of water,you wont dyhadrate u ^#$^!VG^!#^G!^

new topics

join