It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan doing 180 on US

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
www.telegraph.co.uk...

Yukio Hatoyama, the leader of the Democratic Party of Japan, has caused alarm in Washington after publishing an article blaming the US for the ills of capitalism, the global economy and "the destruction of human dignity".

He also intends to examine an agreement that permits US warships to dock at Japanese ports, in violation of the nation's non-nuclear principles. Mr Hatoyama says he will also look again at the $6 billion cost faced by Japan to transfer thousands of US troops from their base in Okinawa to the Pacific island of Guam amid a wide-ranging review of the American military presence on Japanese soil.

whoa... whats up with this. if i were japanese id be all for it. i wonder what will come of this? what do you think?

mod edit, to add external quote code

[edit on 11-9-2009 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I believe the last time Japan "did a 180" on the USA, we bombed them back to the Stone Age. Afterwards, we completely overhauled their infrastructure and turned Japan into the economic powerhouse of the Pacific Rim.

Oh, capitalism is SO evil.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
The new Prime Minister would be very wise to remember that he has a nuclear armed nation to the west of him which doesn't exactly like Japan and is run by a certifable lunatic with a Napoleon complex. He might also want to recognize that China still remembers the Rape of the Nanking and, at best, would do nothing to help japan should North Korea get edgy and, at worst, would assist the Koreans in any conflict against japan.

After the new Prime Minsiter has considered this, I'm sure our nation will be willing to accept his appology for sticking his foot in his mouth, provided he offers it with a satisfactory amount of contriteness and supplication.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
So this is what 'Reformation at the level of Meiji era' is all about. Good for Japan to finally wake up and turn against the NWO and Illuminati...

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
If this is what Japan wants then fair enough.

They are a sovereign nation. The United States will have to like it or lump it. I've read a lot of comments by Americans on this topic and i have to say, with such an attitude i am not surprised the Japanese want to make these decisions.

Yes there is North Korea, but like i said if Japan wants to do this, so be it. They can face whatever consequences, if any, come their way.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kram09
Yes there is North Korea, but like i said if Japan wants to do this, so be it. They can face whatever consequences, if any, come their way.

I agree 100%. In fact, I say if they want us out and disrespect our military presence, then they can face those consequences completely and utterly without any assistance from the USA. If North Korea decides to lob a few rockets towards Tokyo, it would no longer be any of our business whatsoever.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
It's hard to be worried about a guy whose wife says she eats the sun. Lunacy total lunacy there.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
scared of north korea's nukes? the only people that actually nuked japan, nuked anybody, is the US. going on past experience, the only country that anybody has any real reason to fear is the US.

japan has been screwed royally by capitalism, if they want shot of the system and the stinking baggage left over from WW2, then more power to their elbows.

why japan should pay for US troop movements is just beyond me.

[edit on 11/9/09 by pieman]

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

I couldn't agree with you more Kram!
It's pretty pathetic that, 60 years after WWII, some people tend to think
that Japan should still sit idly by and let the US call the shots in their own country.

"We bombed them back to the stone age" ....hmmm. And then we apparently turned them into a superpower because we helped rebuild what we had just obliterated. Interesting....so the Japanese people apparently played no part in becoming the nation that it is today? Quite the theory there.

Meanwhile, Japan is the 2nd largest holder of US debt.
They kinda got a trump card there, might want to rethink that brilliant theory of yours.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by pieman
japan has been screwed royally by capitalism

How so? Everything Japan is or will ever be is founded on its economic restructuring following WWII, a restructuring that was financed and supervised by the USA.

Actually, Pearl Harbor was the most fortunate blunder Japan ever made.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

reply to post by burdman30ott6

After the new Prime Minsiter has considered this, I'm sure our nation will be willing to accept his appology for sticking his foot in his mouth, provided he offers it with a satisfactory amount of contriteness and supplication.

After reading that, I have absolutely zero sympathy left for the United States and its received hatred by any portion of this world.

How dare we as Americans even treat countries like this and how in the world have we become so arrogant? I am thoroughly disgusted beyond belief.

I fully support the actions of the Japanese Prime Minister in his commitment to his country that he represents instead of remaining under the thumb of imperialistic America.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

link   
Let's not forget the anger the Russians still have towards the Nihonese/Japanese for atrocities committed against them by an Imperialistic Japan not that long ago.

However, in all fairness, the United States has a more severe Trade Embargo against Nihon/Japan than we do any other nation in the world. Free Market/Open Market my duck-billed platypus! Nihon/Japan has played nice and even stopped exporting to the US long before limits were reached, just to let US Companies catch up, and to ensure that the US didn't get all uppity and even more economically protectionist and impose tighter restrictions on Trade.

On top of it, Nihon/Japan does have a strict prohibition against Nuclear Arms. We should be respectful of the duly elected laws of other democratic Nations. When in Rome...and all that sticky jazz. If we can't respect the democratic process of another democratic Nation, then the US really doesn't have a leg to stand on!

We did rebuild their Infrastructure after WWII, but that doesn't mean they must forever be obedient and subservient to the United States. They are an independent Sovereign Nation, not a US Protectorate. We shouldn't be treating them as our lapdog and need to remember that they aren't the 51st State of the Union. We can't tell them what to do and we need to respect the decisions they democratically decide for themselves.

If they say "When we passed a law stating No Nukes in Nihon/Japan, that meant Period! End of Story! So take your Nuclear Armed Vessels elsewhere American Scum!" then so be it. That is entirely their prerogative.

As far as the comment about the US being responsible for "the destruction of human dignity" well, the US does partially have to own up to that as the US government was responsible (and still is) for severe Human Rights Violations while defecating on every Treaty we have signed since Versaille. However, I can't help but respond "Have you seen Nihonese/Japanese Television lately?" Seriously, I think saying that the US is responsible for the destruction of human dignity is the pot calling the kettle black. Nihonese/Japanese Television does a good enough job at destroying human dignity! (And you thought Fox TV was bad!)

link   
I believe we've heard this type of thing from Japan before. I think they should have their country back and US forces leave. I seriously doubt that Japan is any real threat other than economics by bringing out shelved clean energies.

If only I had a crystal ball to know for sure. It would be a interesting turn of events if American ships were than replaced be China and NK.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by mpriebe81
so the Japanese people apparently played no part in becoming the nation that it is today?

Oh, quite the contrary. The savage militarism of Japan, suffered by China and Indonesia as well as by the USA, triggered everything that rightly befell the Land of the Rising Sun.

Yes, Japan earned and deserved everything they got during World War II.

Apparently, the WWII apologists out there are convinced the USA wrongly crushed the cruel (even suicidal) Japanese war machine. Too bad you wasted your educations.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by TheCoffinman

I think you didn't quote material that wasn't, clearly, your words.

Yukio Hatoyama, the leader of the Democratic Party of Japan, has caused alarm in Washington after publishing an article blaming the US for the ills of capitalism, the global economy and "the destruction of human dignity". He also intends to examine an agreement that permits US warships to dock at Japanese ports, in violation of the nation's non-nuclear principles. Mr Hatoyama says he will also look again at the $6 billion cost faced by Japan to transfer thousands of US troops from their base in Okinawa to the Pacific island of Guam amid a wide-ranging review of the American military presence on Japanese soil.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by TheCoffinman

It seems to me that they should be pretty happy with the deal they have. Japan has the second largest economy in the world and its people enjoy a standard of living that compares favorably to those in any other country.

Under the circumstances, I think they have little to complain about. Few nations throughout history have been nearly as fortunate in the aftermath of a total military defeat as the Japanese and Germans have been. Their freedom today didn't come without a few strings attached, but that's a small price that they have paid for their efforts in instigating a world war.

That said, if they wish to end many of their ties to the United States, so be it. They can deal with the still-angry 800lb gorilla to their west all by themselves.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

That's a cute little phrase there, "Japanese apologist".
On the contrary though, I agree that the Japanese deserved what they got in WWII, and hundreds of thousands(mostly Japanese) would likely have died if the US had kept island hopping towards the Japanese mainland instead of dropping the bomb.

However, to insinuate that the US is solely responsible for what Japan has become is ridiculous and completely inaccurate. I understand that we helped rebuild their infrastructure and gave them a leg up so to speak, but the Japanese took the opportunity and ran with it, and kudos to them for what they have evolved into.

I noticed that you didn't even bother to posit a reply to my main point, which is that Japan is the 2nd largest holder of US debt at the moment. It's kind of a big deal, no? If they turned around and dumped it all we would be in an even worse economic situation than we currently are. Perhaps we would better serve ourselves AND the Japanese by letting them do what they want, sovereign nation that they are.

You can make references to past Japanese brutalities all you want, every nation on the planet has spilled blood at one point or another. By no means am I attempting to minimize what Japan has done in the past. However, if we're going to talk brutality on a mass scale, we shouldn't forget to add the US, Israel, the UK, Russia, Zimbabwe, Borneo, China, etc etc etc to the list.
No one nation is blameless.
BUT we are in the here and now, and Japan should probably be the least of our concerns. Let them do as they will IMHO.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Interesting read.

This creeps up every few years. The US Navy does divulge which ships are nuclear armed. So fat chance of that ever happening. Second although the Japanese have rebuilt their world class economy and standard of living it has done so under the American defense umbrella. Mostly paid for by the US tax payer. They haven't had a need to build anything larger than the JDF. This has saved their Government and People hundreds of billions.

Although the JDF is modern it is no means capable of offensive actions. They could be if the rapidly increase defense spending. It's up to them. They signed an agreement and they should honor that agreement.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Has the new Prime Minister completely fallen off his rocker. What he spouts is sheer lunacy! As a sovereign nation, they are entitled to make their own decisions, but with China breathing heavy on the horizon; it would be in Japan's best interests to remain in good standing with the United States.

Certainly, the two nations can seek a compromise somewhere. They have been joined at the hip since the war. They gave us their cars and we gave them baseball. That's a joke, but on a serious note, I think his advisers better shake him back to reality. The US isn't going anywhere. The US has a security partnership with Japan as well. He needs to lay off the Saki and sober up. Just my two cents.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity

Actually, Pearl Harbor was the most fortunate blunder Japan ever made.

— Doc Velocity

Oh yes the cancer and other absurd side effects that are still popping up all over those areas where the bombs were dropped are very productive and is in fact what every third country should strive for..... Really it is a quick fix to any tanked economy.

On a side note how is it that the Japanese "got what they deserved?" Or, "that's what they signed up for when attacking US soil," when NO ONE WHO MADE THAT DECISION IS STILL IN POWER TODAY the Japanese people of today are not the people who attacked America then.

Remember to separate the two because as an American I don't want to have everything my ancestors did thrown back in my face just because I was born where I was.

Japan should decide what is right for Japan not America decide for them. Sovereignty is cool that way.

<<   2 >>

join