It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sonic Weapons Used in Iraq Positioned At Congressional Townhall Meetings in San Diego County

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I haven't read the entire topic but imagine if this weapon is used to silence dissent. Weapons like this shouldn't be used... it could have a chilling effect on people and make them too afraid to speak out.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Used properly the LRAD is best used for giving directions to people at a distance without disturbing others in the area. It can send a spoken command 300ft to a distant person and they can put the cross hairs on them and send the command to just one person.

This means that if you have a trouble maker at an event you can command that the individual to knock it off. This might save the police from say spraying a water cannon at an entire group to get to one guy wielding a stone or a bottle of fuel.

Any tool can be abused. Tasers for instance have been fielded long enough that they have been abused numerous times. People are always going to have a problem with any new technology that has potential for abuse. I think the fear and concern is very valid but I would point out that the usefulness of this device is far beyond its abuse potential. It is far more useful than abuseful so to speak.

I am betting that it is also good for picking up the voice of an individual in a crowd as well. I am betting that a software and special hardware package to a basic LRAD unit can convert it into a highly focusable sound snooping device. It is just the same technology in reverse some what. For instance you have a crowd of people that you are videoing. You can have a modified LRAD pointed at a person in a crowd and then have that person or the person near them clearly speaking on the captured video. This would be great for identifying leaders and recording their conversations so as to anticipate their actions or commands to others.

I am clearly speculating here but I can see no technical obstacle to making such modifications to one of those units as I describe.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Guys, please see above link in other current events to see Sherif's response about the use of the extremely expensive "megaphone" as some call it

new topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join