It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taliban in control of 80% of Afghanistan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   

www.icosmaps.net...

www.dawn.com...

A resurgent Taliban has a significant presence across virtually all Afghanistan, eight years after a US-led invasion ousted the radical regime from power, a think-tank said Friday.

The Taliban have a Heavy prescense in 80% of Afghanistan, substantial prescense in 17% and light activity in the last 3% THERE IS TALIBAN PRESCENSE IN ALL OF AFGHANISTAN, 8 years after the allies/america invaded... obviously our strategy, our everything isnt working and prolly wont work... there should definately be a timeable to get out of afghanistan..

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by TheCoffinman

I completely respect our troops, and the allied troops....they are only doing their jobs....being soldiers....but I think our generals and president(s) have no freaking idea what they are doing.

We never should have gone into Iraq, but we ESPECIALLY never should have gone into Iraq while we were still fighting a war in Afghanistan.

I would still like to know what our current objectives are in Afghanistan. Are we still trying to find Osama Bin Laden after 8 years? I think if we haven't found him after 8 years, we're not going to find him.

I'm not a soldier, but it seems pretty obvious to me that you cannot simultaneously win a war and try to be the friend of a country. You've got to pick...one or the other. I can only imagine how WWII would have ended up if we had gone into Germany trying to fight the Nazis and trying to be a friend of the German people at the same time. War just doesn't work that way....

Our generals are idiots if you ask me. "Going after terrorists" is no reason to invade an entire country. By doing that, we have now set a dangerous precedence. Imagine someday, that some international eco-terrorists launches an attack on Saudi Arabia, then they come back and hide in the USA. Now Saudia Arabia invades our country to "hunt down and find" the eco-terrorists. If the USA protests, they could say, "Hey, you did the same thing to Afghanistan. How is this any different?" And you know what? They would be right!

Maybe those conspiracy theories that say that the Osama Bin Laden was working for the CIA was right. Maybe he was just an excuse for us to go in and establish a western presence in the center of the middle east, so they could then use Afghanistan as a base of operations for Iraq, Iran, etc....

The whole thing is just insane.

Just curious.....how much area did the Taliban control before we went into Afghanistan?

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
the taliban controlled almost all of afghanistan before we went in. 95% of the country was under taliban control, the other 5% was in control of the northern alliance.

as far as the conspiracy idea, id say maybe but i think its more of just western incompetance and arrogance..

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
www.dawn.com...

It defined ‘permanent’ presence as an average of one or more attacks a week and ‘substantial’ as one or more attacks in an average month.

That's pretty thin IMO.

Afghanistan is no cake walk, but according to those loose definitions the northern alliance, US/NATO forces could in theory control 80% also by counter attacks launched those same areas.

After all it's one or more a month....

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
www.dawn.com...

It defined ‘permanent’ presence as an average of one or more attacks a week and ‘substantial’ as one or more attacks in an average month.

That's pretty thin IMO.

Afghanistan is no cake walk, but according to those loose definitions the northern alliance, US/NATO forces could in theory control 80% also by counter attacks launched those same areas.

After all it's one or more a month....

weak arguement still as the taliban, after 8 years of nato occupation, arent suppose to be in 97% of the country let alone a heavy prescense in 80% of it...

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Well the taliban are not a single entity and are made up from various tribal groups/leaders that do not always agree with each other.Afghanistan no matter how you slice it is still for the most part tribal in nature for most of the population...so this is no surprise.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheCoffinman
weak arguement still as the taliban, after 8 years of nato occupation, arent suppose to be in 97% of the country let alone a heavy prescense in 80% of it...

I'm just quoting your source.
I agree it's a weak argument to base it solely on those figures.

top topics

join