It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How literally do you actually take the bible?

page: 12
<< 9  10  11   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I think ancient scripts come from Truth - but are not Truth per se.

I think ancient scripts are Man's interpretation of events of a spiritual or evolved nature they don't understand.

How would a person of ancient times describe a a space craft or radiation burn?

As I've read "son of God" really interprets "Suns of God" - - - as in glowing craft descending from the "heavens" (sky).

One of my favorite sites is: beingoflight.brotherofyeshua.com...

Because it looks at the bible interpreted from the "Light" - not from man.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
By "literal" what exactly do you mean?

What language version -Aramaic, Greek, Hebrew, German, English? Different parts of the bible were written in different languages and they have words which have different or multiple meanings. Even the cadence and emphasis on different syllables can determine meanings.
What versions? The bible was compiled by various groups - all with their own agenda.
What culture? It was common in Jesus days for a wandering orator to go from town to town and give his speech. How many orators keep the same exact speech from place to place? Could they not be modified or added to depending on the crowd being spoken to? Could Matthew, Mark, Luke and John have heard slightly different speeches in different places?

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Talk about a preachy book.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by alttracks

I see your point. By literal, I mean the current translation in your own language. Speaking for my relatives, that would be a dutch bible in a recent translation.
So, how literal can you take things? If it says for example, that gays should be sentenced to death and one takes the bible literally, should that be practiced, then? Fundamental christians who take a literal approach, how do you intepret something like that?

[edit on 8-3-2010 by DarknessFollows]

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Some is myth...some is history...some is propaganda...much is metaphor...and there are plenty of wise teachings about the nature of being human and the spiritual life.

I personally think that taking the Bible like that is far richer and far more accurate than taking it all literally.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
I think the parables have hidden meaning.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Interpreting scriptures of any religious nature is always a difficult task. It is very hard to look at things in an objective manner.
What I noticed among my relatives, is that some parts of the bible are intepreted literally, while others are supposed to be placed in it's historical time frame. That irritates me, because it is not consistent. Either you take the whole thing literally, or you leave everything open for interpretation.

top topics

<< 9  10  11   >>

join