It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Childhoods End

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Is now quite a dated book by Arthur C Clarke but nevertheless its a very good and well worth a read.

The book suggests in a fictional way that the Superior races in the Universe are not humanoid but in fact a type of creature that most of us dont like ( I wont elaborate in case some have not read the book).

Supposing and its a BIG supposing that one day, like the "V" scenario, Earth becomes colonised, just what life form (however friendly) would you just NOT accept as a more Advanced society?

We really have no idea what is out there but to me seeing the "Master Race" as a hybrid sort of armadillo/human/ bat would really kill me.

I think we need to condition ourselves that maybe the Humanoid is not the most perfect of life forms.

We cant fly, we get injured far to easily, we cannot swim underwater for more than a few minutes.

We are quite lucky to have taken charge of this planet when all said and done.

I just wonder at times what exactly is the BEST life form.

It certainly isnt us.

It may be so repulsive to us.

Just wonder what other peoples views are.

JayKew

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 06:31 PM
link   
If evolution happened as our own scientists tell us, man was spawned from primates as a result of walking upright and using tools with the free upper limbs. This spurred intelligence.

If this is really how evolution takes place and is actually how intelligence forms on other planets, I suspect there are very few intelligent beings that evolved as something more than just large brained creatures. Convergent evolution theory is a good way to think about how life may form on other planets. It may not have evolved similarly to humans at all, but most likely has similar structures for environmental manipulation and information gathering. Intelligence should go on a similar course.

That doesn't mean other intelligent life couldn't enhance themselves later down the line through artificial genetic manipuation. We will likely do as such later ourselves.

Its my belief that most intelligent species that have evolved in this universe start out no more intelligent than we are, perhaps even far less intelligent. Technological growth and perhaps thousands or even billions of years of such advancement probably leads intelligent life to enhance itself far beyond what nature originally gave it to make it far superior to what it started out as.

I imagine most aliens that would be able to traverse the universe to get here have been ehanced from the bodies nature originally gave them. So yes, they will be our superiors simply for having so much more technological advancement, but I suspect all of their origins are as humble as ours.

[Edited on 14-5-2004 by heelstone]

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 06:42 PM
link   
incredibly good, and messed up book. i recommend it to anyone!

but even the creatures who came to earth were governed (for lack of a better word) by another higher power... and perhaps that higher power was governed by another power... and this chain of government would just keep going and going for eternity. that's what i got out fo it at least.

and even though humans may not be perfect lifeforms physically or even mentally, we have created some amazing things. perhaps one day humanity will be on a somewhat higher level (again, for back of a better phrasing).

join