It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Confidential source says Austailian IT infrastructure in grave danger of hacking!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   
OK, I am not Australian, nor am I IT saavy, so none of this makes sense to me, but I have an online aquaintence, whom I shall refer to as 'Tin Hat', that has asked me to put this info out there, so I will. If you have questions, I will try to get them answered, but do be patient...

So here is what I've been told:

"I have lived in canberra Australia my whole life and my entire family & most of my friends have been or currently are public servants in the federal departments of defence, treasury, finance, statistics and centrelink[audit and risk] etc. I have an extremely close source in the P&C IT dept that is dealing with the hack attack by Anonymous that happened after 7pm Tues nite [EST]. Now considering that most of my family are extremely computer literate in both hard and software and networks [basiclly several network and computer engineers/programmers] and I'm quite probing with my questions and they are usually quite forthcoming, I have intimate knowledge that the Australia Governments IT network security is a JOKE! Anonymous appears to have broken it easily!"

"Its was clearly Anonymous at work. I have talked to many of my contacts and I'm being stonewalled by most.
This is a clear indicator that Gov IT EPICALLY FAILED.
DSD [defence signals directorate] is simultaneously pissed and amused! WTH? Amused? Totally puzzled at that! I've been warned off detailing technical details of either the attack methods used and the state of the IT infrastructure involved and I'm fine to comply with that request from my contacts for the time being [gonna triple check all my facts]."

"Just a tidbit here....recently a subcontracted security company for P&C [prime minister & cabinet] were demanding their blackberries/crackberries be "unlocked" for no other reason than "they wanted more functionality" when it was clearly shown by DSD that those functionalities totlly compromise the security! It came to light that they wanted to surf the net on their downtime during lunch and breaks etc. and were adament that they SHOULDN'T have to utilize their own devices! WHY??? Their excuse was "IT security issues" LMAO!"

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   
We are legion...

Anonymous is all, and all is Anonymous.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 12:18 AM
link   
the firewall black hole is in danger????? i dont believe

just get some axe, it will save you from their grey agenda.

[edit on 11-9-2009 by phi1618]

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   
While I am a fan of Anonymous and have followed them since they declared war on Scientology, what happened here in Australia the other day was nothing more than basement-dwelling "script kiddies" who launched a DDoS (Distributed Denial of Service) attack against our governments website. They managed to bring the site down for all of about 3 minutes. They didn't even bother to do it properly by employing a botnet to handle the DDoS - they simply tried to flood the server from their home PC's.

But yes, while this particular attack was rather embarrassing for the hackers, I will agree to the fact that the Australian Govt IT department is living in the stone age. I will tell you this now: If the Aust. Govt. goes through with it's plan to put mandatory internet filtering on our broadband then they WILL see the true wrath of those of us who are proponents of free speech. It will no longer be script kiddies DDoSing the server it will be all out war and THEN the world will see just how vulnerable our IT infrastructure really is.

EDIT: Just read in the papers here that the hackers who did the attack the other day have declared Round 2 will happen soon........

www.smh.com.au...

The hackers who brought down the Prime Minister's website this week have already outlined their plans for round two, signalling a marked escalation in their attacks.

A new message posted on their website, which has been used to rally supporters of their anti-internet filtering hacking campaign, outlines plans to attempt to break into back-end government systems rather than simply knocking government websites offline by flooding them with traffic.

A security consultant, who declined to be named, said: "It won't take them long to get to a more dangerous and annoying skill level, which enables them to perform more successful and damaging attacks on the .gov.au domain space.

"Hope the Government has been performing their own penetration testing of their systems."

The website zone-h.org details a slew of government websites that have been hacked and defaced in the past few years, including 68 so far this year. Evidence of each attack is included.

But the hackers, who say they belong to a group called Anonymous, are now taking their attempts further underground after this website yesterday revealed embarrassing chat discussions between them, which occurred while they were carrying out the attacks on pm.gov.au on Wednesday night.

The chat logs revealed that the hackers considered their attacks to be a failure as they brought down Kevin Rudd's website for only a few minutes.

The logs also showed that their main aim was to achieve publicity for their campaign against Communications Minister Stephen Conroy's internet censorship policy.

They are calling for the policy to be dropped and for Senator Conroy to resign.

"It seems the Government isn't afraid of us and the media thinks we are a joke. We need to fix this," the call-to-arms message posted by the hacker reads.

Wednesday night's attacks are known as distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks and involved them flooding government sites including pm.gov.au with traffic.

However, now the hackers have signalled an attempt to move beyond DDoS and to start attacking government back-end systems in an effort to retrieve data such as usernames and passwords.

This could be achieved by using a method called "SQL injection", which exploits security vulnerabilities in websites' databases.

"DDoS is like trying to break into a building by making hundreds of people run into its walls," the hackers wrote.

"I'm talking trying to sql inject any gov.au page or just get into the back end and retrieve data aka Usernames and Passwords.

"If you do find anything do not talk about it in the IRC [internet relay chat] due to spais [spies] and the AFP being in there and they blocked us out from accessing a previous exploit found."

Yesterday, a spokeswoman for the Attorney-General's Department said the Cyber Security Operations Centre in the Defence Signals Directorate was providing IT security advisers in each of the targeted Australian government agencies to assist with monitoring and responding to the threats.

Today, the department refused to comment on the escalation in threats or whether the matter had been referred to police.

The Australian Federal Police also refused to comment, referring all queries to the Attorney-General's Department.

[edit on 11/9/2009 by Kryties]

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Totally puzzled at that! I've been warned off detailing technical details of either the attack methods used and the state of the IT infrastructure involved and I'm fine to comply with that request from my contacts for the time being [gonna triple check all my facts]."

It was DDoS attack with an open source program.

I have intimate knowledge that the Australia Governments IT network security is a JOKE! Anonymous appears to have broken it easily!"

DDoS attacks can and will take anything down provided they have enough people participating...

I think the main issue was the complete failure of the government to prevent the attacks from happening in the first place. Operation Didgeridie was not exactly a secret.

[edit on 11/9/2009 by C0bzz]

new topics

top topics

join